The old lady finally get's what she deserves!

Right then, time has come to give the oldlady some treatment,
all the talking about it it has now stopped and I'm finally doing something to her

I've bought all manner of part for her and taken photos, first thing though, how do I upload them?

Good work, you've been lucky not to see trouble from bolts heads snapping off I reckon! This is the GTi-6 rear beam yes? Forgive me my memory isn't my best asset lol.

Looks good. I've had a brake pipe snap on me before and it's a right pain to sort out. If you're doing brakes then you may as well get some stainless steel lines whilst you're at it.

Indeed it is mate, and I have to say it was easy to fit, I thought it would have been a pain in the ass...

In fairness though my dad did help me as changing the rear axle on your own is hardwork...

trying to lift the new one up and put the bolt back in..... I do look like superman (some say) but I sure as hell haven't got his strength...
The car is still on the stands at the moment and I'm trying to get it all done before Sunday as it's going on the rollers....

Looks good. I've had a brake pipe snap on me before and it's a right pain to sort out. If you're doing brakes then you may as well get some stainless steel lines whilst you're at it.

Yeah I do want SS lines but the budget doesn't allow at the moment, so in the near future it will be on my list of other parts....

It's kind of been growing now...

Propane kit,
Nitrous kit,
SS brake lines,
Rear pads and discs,
There's still loads more but I can't think of it right now...

Yeah I do want SS lines but the budget doesn't allow at the moment, so in the near future it will be on my list of other parts....

It's kind of been growing now...

Propane kit,
Nitrous kit,
SS brake lines,
Rear pads and discs,
There's still loads more but I can't think of it right now...

Nitrous! :amazed: Behave yourself :bigsmile: I think I maybe a bad influence :lol:

lol, yeah have been thinking about it for a while, but I was going to use it as a sort of anti lag system rather than a power gainer though, that's unless the propane takes care of that, also I forgot to mention I want a progressive controller for my water meths,

Have you got water/meths on the Saab T?

looking good mate.seeing your pug coming together makes me want another one.i am missing that turbo kick up the arse.keep up the good work.could you feel the difference when you put the bosch pump on.

Thanks dude, and actually no.... It was worse for a while because it was an untuned pump so it was running lean but it go me to work untill I tweaked it accordingly,but ultimately if you want a big power XUD then yu have to use the Bosch pump.

lol, yeah have been thinking about it for a while, but I was going to use it as a sort of anti lag system rather than a power gainer though, that's unless the propane takes care of that, also I forgot to mention I want a progressive controller for my water meths,

Have you got water/meths on the Saab T?

I am still looking into this J ;) The problem being, actually finding reviews that are positive as opposed to negative! Water carrying capacity? what happens if the water runs out and the car is in full flight? Still researching to get as much information as possible.

There is that.... but you can install lights(connected to a float switch) and the like and you can get mega sized tanks and progressive controllers, what the water meths will allow you to do is dial in more boost and advance your ignition timing safely, so best thing to do is keep an eye on it... check how much you are using and plan accordingly.

Thanks for the info J, still have some reading to do then I will make a decision in a few weeks time.

Update time!!!,

Suspension and brakes are finished (almost lol)

Got everything on now and was it a pain....... BIG TIME!!

Ok starting with the lower arms or wishbones which ever you choose.

The bushes are pressed in or on depending which end yo're working on so needless to say there was a lot of grinding and general hammering a sawing to get the buggers off. I do think that I should have bought new ones but hey ho we got there :)

Before:
IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

After:
IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

Those are Powerflex on the front, and Spoox motorsport on the rear and Delphi ball joints, I couldn't get uprated ones so standard ones were used.

Steering rack was rather fun....

Took nearly a whole day to get the new one on only to find that the power steering pipes didn't fit, bloody great..., fortunately however, the top part off the old rack fitted into the bottom half of the new one and is bearing were still good so we switched them over and jobs a good un :)
IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

2 boxes of old parts the crap man took away... Saves me a job...
IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

Konis, in place with the GTI6 brakes and the newly rebuilt wishbones and steering rack:
IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

Sorry for the crap photos but my camera is dead so my Iphone has to suffice for now,

This is what the car looks like now:
IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

Before:

IMG_0133.jpg

There is a difference in height, not by much but enough, If you've been round be me you'd understand why I haven't gone any lower as there is speed humps everywhere, the parish counsil loves them! and the whole village hates them.

The Shocks are set on there middle setting which seems to work quite well.
Run down on what I've replaced,

The whole rear subframe with a GTI6 one with Koni Shocks.

Front:
New bushes, new balljoints, drop links, ARB bushes, springs, shocks, top mounts, top mount barings, steering rack... I think I've covered everything.
So has it all been worth it?

HELL...... YES!!!!

It now handles like I want it and stops like I want it, It's totally transformed the car and I haven't stopped driving it since lol

Things left to do, loads really but first things first I need a new master cylinder as mine is new leaking slightly, not bad but it needs to be addressed, so I'm going to have a rumage around on eBay to see if I can get a 406 or a GTI6 one, and also braided lines and a progressive controller for my Water/meths and hopefully get a bigger turbo on before Santa Pod.

Also, I'd like to make a special mention to this bloke:

DSC00685-1.jpg

My father....

He's helped me do all the suspension, the repairs and humored me though the whole project even when we've felt like throughing it all in the bin.

So cheers Dad, couldn't have done it without ya :)

It's the unsung heros in the background who keep a lot of these projects going that's for sure! Nice one Mr Senior J :)

Indeed it is,

He's getting on a bit now but he was doing this sort of thing when he was my age so knows what's he's doing, my research and knowledge of te 306 with his engineering mind really works well,

Trust me on that, as they say the proof is in the pudding and what an incredible rescipe it is....

looking good mate wish it was mine.it sits nice mate.you dont want it too low anyway with all the pot holes the speed bumps.ideally you need a rally spec set up with the roads here.what does that exhaust sound like.you,ve done good mate.its good you.ve got your dad to help you makes it easier when you.ve got an extra pair of hands.look forward to the next instalment.

It really is a massive difference, I can take corners now at speeds that were impossible before, the thing is with the handling and braking department you kind of need to upgrade everything to really reap the rewards of all the parts, like I've done.

When I put my alloys on and better tyres they were an improvement but the standard suspension was far too soft for the grip levels that the tyres could deliver so the body roll was dangerous to say the least, and also they were causing the brakes to fade much more than they already were, but now though..... Just wow, I love driving my car now, if I've had a bad day at work I just find and empty back road and all the problems just melt away.... Its exactly what I wanted....

Ok here's the next big update!!!!!!

Not....lol

I did fit my sparewheel hanger back up there other day, after my dad sorted the bolts for it. I hadn't got the heart to tell him that the spare won't fit on the front any more and it will most likely be replaced with a propane tank.......

keep up the good work mate!!
alls looking good!!

are you still after a 3dr?? cause i drove past a gold 3dr dt for sale today no idea on condition i just noticed it and thought of you.

Ha ha,

Cheers for think of me mate, I'm still kind of in 2 minds, really.

But I've done all the suspension on this car now so it would be a pain to change it all round I guess.... we will have to see in the future I guess.... I do like to change plans around :)

Alright Brett, literally the first chance I've had to have a look at the thread since we spoke! Work has been mental. Things are looking great though, glad you're liking the mods and they have made a big difference. What you up to tomorrow? I should come over to you soon!

I'm not doing much tomorrow mate, just chilling really, contemplating my next set of mods really and other stuff, give me a call or something mate :)

I like this a lot. I especially like the fact you have your head screwed on properly and set about sorting the old soggy handling out before going mad on whacking up the power!

Im going to have to take a look at water/meths kits myself now, heard a lot of talk about them but never known anyone running one. May be an idea for the T4....

So whats next on the list fella?

Put simpley, more power!!!!!! Muhahahahahaha....

But seriously, big pump is next as thats going to be an easyish power mod,

Also water meths is a worth while upgrade on a diesel that doesn't have a lambda probe in the exhaust. If yours doesn't then get it, more fuel=more power on a diesel mate and it will keep the intake and combustion cambers clean and the EGT's safe.

Also, it means you won't have to rush to upgrade the intercooler as the water cools the charge temps down much better than any intercooler.

Ok then, I have bought a transit Bosch pump now for the tidy sum of £45, and also a spare exhaust manifold to weld a plate to fit one of those turbos, (still desiding...)

Also after a lot of thought and debate (mainly with my father rather than myself...) I've desided I'm going to reshell my car as the body work is in such a mess that It would be cheaper to buy a high milage dturbo with good bodywork than to repair all the stuff on mine. Also I still want a 3 door so there 2 reasons. I've had a quick look on the trader and I saw such a car on there for £675 which looks like just the job. I could get a non turbo car for cheaper or a small engined petrol but it's much easier to get a dturbo as swapping the engines out couldn't be any more straight forward, and also from an insurance point of view, just less hastle all around...

Also I reckon this time it should be easier as I can just change the subframe with all the stuff fitted.... Might underseal/hammerite the underneath bits as well.... any advise for that? as I've never done such a thing...

Good luck on finding a decent 3 door variant. If you're changing everything over you may as well underseal it to add protection. Never done it personally though.

Also I reckon this time it should be easier as I can just change the subframe with all the stuff fitted.... Might underseal/hammerite the underneath bits as well.... any advise for that? as I've never done such a thing...

Well, back in my day! undersealing involved a big paint brush, a big tub of underseal and a pair of gloves! you just covered whatever did not move! ;)

Well, back in my day! undersealing involved a big paint brush, a big tub of underseal and a pair of gloves! you just covered whatever did not move! ;)

Pretty much the same unless you are FULLY stripping it down to bare metal and painting it. If not, Waxoil is great for the job, bit messy like. Grind down any rust patches to bare metal, use a rust arrester, etch prime then apply the Waxoil.

Is there such a thing as an original 306 with good bodywork these days? Maybe a handful of well looked after GTi-6, but can't be many dturbs still in good nick!?

Your probably right there, It will be hard to find a good one, even though tonnes of people have told me to get a GTi6 and be done with it, I simply won't do it, that's the easy way out!

Your probably right there, It will be hard to find a good one, even though tonnes of people have told me to get a GTi6 and be done with it, I simply won't do it, that's the easy way out!

Where's the self satisfaction in "the easy way out"? ;)
Stick to your guns J.

Cheers Oz,

Supercharged 6's are a bit of a common thing now really as Lynx Engineering sell a "kit" for it so anyone can have one that knows what they are doing,

As far as I know no one has done a compound charged GTi6 yet, how ever there has been a bloke put a supercharger on his dturbo as well as the turbo.

Mate These mods and what you have done are in a way inspiring! I have my self a peogeot 306 Dturbo. and I heard your the Go to guy for mods for this car. :)

Keep up the excellent work mate!

Yeah as mentioned before, it is a Bosch pump as they are far superior to the Lucas equivalent as they are stronger and can be modified which is what I intend to do. I need to get a Bosch pump from a Transit as well or possibly a Fiat 2.8 or something like that as they have the bigger plungers I will need to make the big power happen

Looking at a Bosch pump for my little pug. mine is 99 yours a 98? a transit pump...? Are they tunably powerful? Would they benefit me? did some research and I think i have the XUD9 engine. Similar to yours. Correct me if I am wrong.