The old lady finally get's what she deserves!

Right then, time has come to give the oldlady some treatment,
all the talking about it it has now stopped and I'm finally doing something to her

I've bought all manner of part for her and taken photos, first thing though, how do I upload them?

Yea it's the same as mine, also a transit pump is the way to go but it's not a straight swap, you have to use some of the internals to transplant into the XUD Bosch pump, I've just finished building mine and it's on the bench ready to be fitted

Cheers Jarrus!

As you know I am looking to upgrade my car, nothing massive, Just a few more horses under bonnet.

I am more then happy to swap out brakes if a stage one tune requires. Been looking at brakes for some time. mine are...well not the best.

Yeah standard ones are crud, even on a standard car they are crud. But the good news is there are plenty of options for you to upgrade so I can discuss further if you want, post it up in your thread in the 306 section dude and I'll fill you in :)

Right then update time, and It's been positively ages since I updated this and there's a lot to cover so bare with me here :)

Ok driving home and after a "spirited" drive and then big loss of power and a funny noise from the turbo, oh crud. Luckely it wasn't the turbo but the gasket between the manifolds and the head so while replacing that....... "it's turbo time!!!" (excuse the movie line)

So out of the 2 which to put on???....Hmmmm after a while of think about it waying up the pro's and cons etc, (which took exactly 0.3 seconds) I desided to fit the bigger one of the 2....of course :devil:

here the old turbo side by side with then big one.

DSC00756.jpg

cold side
DSC00757.jpg

hot side

The old turbo is a KKK K14 the most common turbo found on the 1.9 XUD9TE engines, the strange lump of metal at the bottom I'm holding is an internal actuator which is standard practice on these. As for the big one, it was told to me to be a Garrett T28BB (which it still is really) but after contacting the company whose plaque could be found on it, it turns out to be a GT2560R which is a modern turbo, AWESOME!
(more specifically this one) http://turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT25/GT2560R_466541_1.htm
It's the same one as that just with a different compressor cover with normal peoples hose attachments rather than the gay flange type.
So got some plates made up
DSC00755.jpg

and fitted it up to the exhaust manifold:
IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

We modified the actuator off the TD04 to fit this turbo as I couldn't find perfect fit replacement at the time because I didn't really know what turbo it was. It works fine anyway.

IMG_0266.jpg

new gasket which cost a whole......£8....

While I was there I also did some de-egring as well,
IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

3/4 inch BSP pipe blank fit in the original hole in the inlet perfectly, didn't have to drill it at all, 3/4 BSP tap, fit bung with some PTFE and job's a good un.

Also I took the time to build up my big injector pump.
DSC00731.jpg

This is the pump I will be building into.
DSC00732.jpg

and this is the donor pump from a Ford Transit van of the same era. The smiley faced one, you know what I mean.....
and after gutting it, this is the part's that I needed:
DSC00733.jpg

The distributor head, the bit the shoves the fuel down the injector line, it's bigger to more fuel is avaliable. It doesn't increase fuel pressure just quantity.
DSC00749.jpg

Began taking apart the Peugeot one and fitting up the new parts.^^
DSC00750.jpg

DSC00751.jpg

Shim the govnor spring
DSC00752.jpg

DSC00753.jpg

and put it back together:
DSC00754.jpg

The procedure is much more involved than that, but there isn't enough space in this thread to go into the finer details but anyone wishing to know then feel free to ask then I'll fill you in.

So now we need to fit it all into the car.

Turbo first and as usual, it was a pain in the arse..... big time....
IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

DSC00758.jpg

Had to fit water lines in, I got my dad to make some connector for the job, and hey presto:
DSC00759.jpg

I suggested we tap into the heat matrix lines as they were the most conviniant place to do so, also Garrett say it works best at about 90c so did it properly because we almost didn't bother.

You may have noticed that the compressor housing fouls the bulkhead, the usual way to solve this problem would be to smack the crap out of the bulk head with a hammer, but since the engine was still in the car then it wasn't an option so, dad wipped me up an new engine mounting braket so the engine sits further forward.
DSC00767.jpg

All done a dusted, it has cronic turbo lag now and I've still to fit the big pump as I didn't have the time to as I needed the car the next day to get to work.

Ok, so I was on the way to work,
got my foot down as I was enjoying myself too much....
and bang....."OH S*** what the hell was that?"

DSC00764.jpg

Oil everywhere.....

DSC00765.jpg

DSC00766.jpg

FRIG ME!!!!!!! I was sooooo hoping not to do that, so now the engine is dead and I need a new one...

Fortunately a 2.1 12v xud popped on ebay, I've bought it along with a uprated clutch so going to go for a bigger engine now for more horses (and more reliability....) They are rare engines so I'll be one of few with a 2.1 Dturbo 306 but it will be worth the effort.

Also big thanks to MA for lending me his engine crane, much appreciated dude!

Hopefully everything will go smoothly from now on, it's a big job but worth the effort when it's all done.

Comments please :D

Jesus!! You blow a whole in the engine somewhere...?

Its not turbo time unfortunenetley.. :(

Swapping out for a larger engine sounds awesome!! Pics of the process!

Good Luck with it mate! I hope all goes well! :)

Just popped on to see this matey! Big hole in the block is not so good but awesome at the same time lol. Didn't know you had a 28R, too big for a diesel 1.9 engine really. Hope the engine replacement goes well.

Lack of exhaust crap really, the turbine housing is too big but next I'm either going to make my own hybrid or go compound.
Thing is the 1.9 has a very low volumetric efficiency so the only way to make big power is with loads of boost which means high thermal loading.

With the original KKK k14 I was running 29 psi when I had meths in the water tank and it was fine, 20 psi on the big turbo killed the engine, I think it was because it was loading the engine much further up the rev range.

I have seen the 2.1's make 200 hp with about 24 psi at about 4000 RPM's, if I can make peak power closer to 5 k and have the turbo spool early then I should have a fast reliable engine. Don't forget these IDI diesel have positively massive compression ratios (around 22:1) combined with boost pressure (around 14 psi standard) then you have mega cylinder pressures. Also inertia puts more stress on rods that big cylinder pressures.

I have a few trick up my sleeve so I don't blow this engine up.

Good Luck mate! please post pics of this massive haul! Sounds awesome and I am sure your gunna enjoy every second when its up and running! :)

Cheers all the same, the conversion has started now and I've been taking lots of photos and I've also been learning a lot along the way, some good things and some not so good so it should be good to see how it turns out.

Fitting the turbo will be "interresting" to say the least, the standard one is a bit weird and the exhaust manifold is awkward to work with. I'll get another update up now as I have the time inbetween now so I won't leave it weeks before I update the thread.

Fantastic we all love piccys!

I hope this is successful buddy! Is it merely just a drop and fix? or is it going to take you a while to do this? Does most of it fit or is there alot of modification to be done?

Cheers Mr. Chris, It's going well, got to sort a few things.

I'll sort out another update soon and get a few more people interrested in my thread again, this time with some new engine picture and the like :)

More progress...

Got the engine now and here it is....

DSC00770.jpg

DSC00771.jpg

bit crusty round the edges but I've cleaned it up a bit and that will do for me, o and it does turn :)

The old engine came out easy enough...

DSC00794.jpg

Then the job of stripping it comensed,

DSC00801.jpg

DSC00799.jpg

Also on futher inspection, the damage is far worse....

DSC00802.jpg

DSC00803.jpg

Not sure if you can see, but the whole front of the block is cracked, and it's only being held together by the oil sump!

Have to swap to the 1.9 flywheel as it is a lot thinner as you can see....
DSC00808.jpg

so I can use the 1.9 clutch and gearbox,
DSC00804.jpg

DSC00806.jpg

DSC00805.jpg

As you can see there is plently left on that clutchconsidering it's done about 76,000 miles, but I bought a new one anyway while it's out it makes sence...

DSC00807.jpg

This is the stage we are at now.... well sort of...

IMG_0291.jpg

I've actually got the gearbox on now all we need to do is work out the coolant lines and the turbo. I plan on using the Subaru Imprezaa WRX turbo (TD04L-13G) on this one as the operating range is much better for this engine and the GT2560R isn't really suitable (plus I don't fancie another buggered engine). That's it for now :)

Looking great so far J :) I was just about to ask how you keep your drive way so clean when I saw a shot of the plastic sheeting, mums orders I take it :lol:
I see the old man is still in the thick of it with you, I hope your going to take him out for a proper slap up meal in way of saying thank you for all your help dad? :amuse:

Forgot to metion, I'm using my built pump on this one, I will be amazed if it works, but if it does this engine should make a shed load of power and torque, I also plan on getting an oil cooler to keep the oil temps in check and I want to get a bigger front mount intercooler as I don't think the evo one is up to the job on this. This explains why...

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Diesel-Intercooling/A_109423/article.html

I am considering going compound on this but still having trouble figuring out how much boost the primary stage needs to be putting out so any help there will be appreciated :)

Looking great so far J :) I was just about to ask how you keep your drive way so clean when I saw a shot of the plastic sheeting, mums orders I take it :lol:
I see the old man is still in the thick of it with you, I hope your going to take him out for a proper slap up meal in way of saying thank you for all your help dad? :amuse:

Drive way clean? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I'm just trying not to oil soak it anymore, and yes my dad is still helping me, and he's actually enjoying doing it, and yeah I do owe him a lot still, I've been helping him renovate the back garden, laid some concrete and a few other bits and pieces but got help him lay some decking also. Me and Dad are close so we help each other a lot, I helped him with some computer stuff at work.... I will still take out for a steak though....

Quote:In addition to being on boost a far higher proportion of driving time, diesels generally use higher boost figures than petrol engine cars.

Is this real?
It's not for all applications anyway.
Alot of diesels use low pressure turbo's.

Quote:In addition to being on boost a far higher proportion of driving time, diesels generally use higher boost figures than petrol engine cars.

Is this real?
It's not for all applications anyway.
Alot of diesels use low pressure turbo's.

Yes it is, mine on my original turbo was boosting 10psi doing 80mph while cursing on the motorway, most diesels now tend to have fairly high boost now to make those insane power figures,

They boost all the time cause there's no throttle on diesels

In a nut shell, you need more boost to produce the same power (say 200 hp) at 4000 rpms than at 6000 rpms. Simples :)

Right so your saying tuned diesels need to run alot of boost to make power.
Only reason I say not all is because I know the Rover 600 sdi uses a lower pressure turbo than the 620 petrol turbo. In standard form anyway.

Right so your saying tuned diesels need to run alot of boost to make power.
Only reason I say not all is because I know the Rover 600 sdi uses a lower pressure turbo than the 620 petrol turbo. In standard form anyway.
Probably yes but modern big power diesels will need more boost than there petrol counter parts because they rev lower. Power is a by product of torque and also horsepower is a measure of "work done" so to speak hence high revving engine produce lots of power without making lots of torque.

Diesels are made to produce power low down so have smaller intake ports and cams that have lower lift and duration so the inlet gas speed at lower rpms are higher and the cylinders are filled more efficiently, in essence boost is kind of a measure of inlet restriction, more boost DOES equal more power at THE SAME rpm, so where in the rev band peak power comes in plays a huge part in how much boost is needed to flow "X" amount of air to produce "X" amount of power.

So 2 different an engines that needs about 20 lbs/min of air to produce 200 hp will being doing so at different boost pressures because where they produce there peak power. Other things play a part like inlet tempreture and intercooler restriction and loads of other air flow laws that I have yet to study. There are sooo many variables....

I think that explains it all... I don't think I've missed anything out....

alright mate.you have been busy.when you blow up an engine you do it big.she,ll no take any more captain.lol.how fast were you going captain kirk.project is taking shape now.cant wait to see the next instalement.