The old lady finally get's what she deserves!

Right then, time has come to give the oldlady some treatment,
all the talking about it it has now stopped and I'm finally doing something to her

I've bought all manner of part for her and taken photos, first thing though, how do I upload them?

Are you being serious about new invention as i live in that area its not that bad. Its forrest gate in new invention thats full of chavs try going to heath town in wolvo. Im suprised ive not seen you about as ive got a mate who lives in cheslyn haye.

note the:amuse: mate;)
do you drink in the poets corner??

Thought about it, it would make it look a load better...probebly get most of the plastic stuff done but the body work needs attention first though...

Yeah that's why I'm doing most of the Punto and maybe some bits on the Fiesta. Hides all those horrible hard plastics, which are usually scratched to hell by now on a car as old as my Punto.

Ok then another question,

suspension, I'm after some adjustable shocks for my car, I want to use eibach springs, but I thought it best to use adjustable shocks so I can get the ride and handling just right,
What should I go for? I would like them to be adjustable on the car as well....

Cheers :)

Why are you stuck on Eibach springs? Something like Bilstein B12's would be a nice mid-level choice. Don't know if they do them for the 3-0. Depends on your budget really and if it's adjustability you want you can't knock coilovers.

Nah, b12 aren't avaliable for the 306,
Eibach suit the criteria really, progressively wound so they aren uncomfortable when not driving like your hair is on fire and they are well proven.

Any other suggestions?

nothing at all, I was saying they are good, the point is that...

I would want variant 2's as I know the 1's are only height adjustable and from what people and i have experienced they are very harsh,
and 2's are very expensive,

I have found this kit though and it seems to fit the bill
http://europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=15346205

progressively wound springs and adjustable dampers all in one tidy kit, and made by koni so it isn't rubbish

Yes indeed it is chap, I've worked there a little over 3 months now, due to the rescission...

anyways, the car is currently at MIJ having the exhaust fitted, should be nice when finished...

Correct, and yes I have looked at the bilstein streetline kits and they don't really fit the bill due to the fact they only use oem spec shocks in them, whereas the sprintline is more suitable but I am a little put off because they use APEX springs and I haven't really heard about them much,

Right then,

New exhaust is now on, what do you think?

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

it sounds just how I wanted it to as well, it has a really deep, bassey, meaty tone to it when you give it the beans but quiet when cruising or driving like a sane person

It only has a rear silencer because diesels are quieter in the exhaust (contrary to popular belief) so a twin silencer would have made it too quiet so pointless in my opinion

also there is a marked improvement in performance, turbo spools up quicker and the engine seems a bit revvier (if there's such a word) but I'm yet to properly test it's top end yet so we will have to wait and see

Not yet, I'll get some just for you though, I do have a decent camera so will be using that from now on,
and I'm glad you like it mate :)

next on the list of thing to do is tyres for the wheels and to do the suspension, I've bid on a gti6 rear beam on egay and I'm expecting a head and a bosch fuel pump that I bought in there as well

You are going all out with headwork and everything eh! OE or proper motorsport wheels are the way forwards clearly, none of this Wolfrace rubbish. GTi-6 beam should make a marked improvement, or so I hear.

Yes I'd like to see pictures, probably going to go there for a full 3" system for the Punto when it's done. Be hooligan loud muhahahaha!

New exhaust looks bang on, I like your choice of tail pipe. :D

Will you be fitting those alloy doodads that replace the rear bushes when you fit the GTi6 beam or will they make the ride too harsh?

Last edited:
I'm not sure, I've been told that it will definitely firm up the ride, but I would loose the passive rear wheel steer so I'm not sure really I am thinking about it though,

as for the head, yes I am going all out on head work, new piper cam (yes they do a fast road cam for my crusty old diesel) bigger inlet and exhaust valves 3 angle valve seats and the usual port polishing,

and thanks for the positive comments :D

Cheers mate,
I took it out for a run today on the motorway, it does sound good under load but it's still quiet for cruising, it is louder on cruising but not enough to get in a twist over, plus I have my music quite loud when I'm cruising on the motorway

Right then, I've had a totally brilliant idea!! (well at least I think it is)

I've seen for sale on the trader a couple of 406 2.1 td's for sale for about £500-£700...
So I thought about spooning the engine out of it and putting in my car,
Then I did some research and found that the head on the XUD11 (2.1td) even though it has 12 valves rather than 8 valves isn't as good as the XUD7/9 head (which incidentally fits straight on the XUD11 block) then I thought, "could I convert a IDI engine into a DI engine? how hard could it be?", so....

I did some more research and found that you need a slight recess in the piston for the diesel to collect for compression, fine, but that mean's custom piston's would be needed, (very expensive)

then I remembered from ages ago that the original HDI shares a lot of components from the XUD but they are made better. The HDI FORGED con rods are exactly the same dimensions as the rods in the XUD engines and the pistons (from a DW10 from the 306 and 406) are exactly the same bore as the XUD11 block and the XUD11 bottom end is much stronger than the XUD7/9 or the DW10 as it has a forged crank
So I need to get me a HDI engine as well...

So...........
The creative juices are really flowing now.... is it doable though? I would need to machine out the prechambers in XUD head or I could see if the HDI head would fit the XUD block and machine the bosch injectors to fit, (has been done once before)

yes it does sound like a lot of effort but the faster burn rate of a DI engine should be worth while on my kind of build... and it's never been thought of before, in the end I should have a nice reliable engine that will put a big smile on my face :)

Last edited:
My diesel rover had a ss backbox was loud on tickover but quiet on accelleration i think it had the same engine as one of the 306 diesels 1989cc

your going for it bigtime on the old dear.your looking for some big bhp .should pull like a train when you,ve finished with her.i look forward to your updates.

It was a 220SD 1998 model the engine was referd to as a perkins which was in the old montegos but was improved alot. I heard it was the same as the pre-facelift 306s but weather they knew what they was talking about lol

Nah it's not the same at all,

pre facelift (phase 1) 306's used a XUD9TE/D8A engine which was basically a slightly updated version of the XUD7 found in the 405 and the 205, as in it had about 100cc more capacity...and that's about it,
my engine is a later one XUD9TE/DHY which incorporated emissions control devices like a catalyst in the exhaust and an EGR valve, both of which I have either by passed or removed :)

Generally speaking as well the early engines came with a Bosch VE fuel pump whereas the later engines (like mine) have a Lucas fuel pump and apparently that has something to do with the emissions control devices although there is no electronic brain or other devices which allow them to talk to each other,
It's very much "barn door" engineering, very old by todays standards but it all works rather well....

Right then, I've had a totally brilliant idea!! (well at least I think it is)

I've seen for sale on the trader a couple of 406 2.1 td's for sale for about £500-£700...
So I thought about spooning the engine out of it and putting in my car,
Then I did some research and found that the head on the XUD11 (2.1td) even though it has 12 valves rather than 8 valves isn't as good as the XUD7/9 head (which incidentally fits straight on the XUD11 block) then I thought, "could I convert a IDI engine into a DI engine? how hard could it be?", so....

I did some more research and found that you need a slight recess in the piston for the diesel to collect for compression, fine, but that mean's custom piston's would be needed, (very expensive)

then I remembered from ages ago that the original HDI shares a lot of components from the XUD but they are made better. The HDI FORGED con rods are exactly the same dimensions as the rods in the XUD engines and the pistons (from a DW10 from the 306 and 406) are exactly the same bore as the XUD11 block and the XUD11 bottom end is much stronger than the XUD7/9 or the DW10 as it has a forged crank
So I need to get me a HDI engine as well...

So...........
The creative juices are really flowing now.... is it doable though? I would need to machine out the prechambers in XUD head or I could see if the HDI head would fit the XUD block and machine the bosch injectors to fit, (has been done once before)

yes it does sound like a lot of effort but the faster burn rate of a DI engine should be worth while on my kind of build... and it's never been thought of before, in the end I should have a nice reliable engine that will put a big smile on my face :)

That sounds like a plan to me :) Would you be able to make an ECU work with it all or will you have to use an aftermarket one?

That sounds like a plan to me :) Would you be able to make an ECU work with it all or will you have to use an aftermarket one?

You can't use an aftermarket ECU with disesls due to the fact the injector drivers are no where near up to the job of controling the diesel injectors due to the fact they require hundreds (yes that much) of volts to open and close the needles they use piezo electric crystals and they need big power to change signal also aftermarket ecu's aren't precise enough to control the exact time when diesel needs to be injected for it to work better than a mechanical injection pump as the injection timing controls the combustion in a diesel engine whereas a spark does the same in a petrol engine so the injector timings don't have to be very precise in a petrol engine (unless it's DI and you wouldn't be able to use an aftermarket ecu.....yet....)so far I have found one aftermarket ECU manufacture that does such a thing http://www.bodylogicuk.com/90265/info.php?p=1
but prices are rather mega and they currently haven't made anything for the engines I considered using but they have made one for the 2.7 TDv6 for the landrover which is identical to the 2.7 HDi so maybe worth a look but the money involved would be rather a lot, and besides, the XUD engines don't really have ECU's the XUD9 (my current engine) has absolutely no electronic control, the XUD11 has an electronic injection advance but it's rubbish and the HDI (DW10) has an ECU but I won't be using an ECU of any sort due to using a Bosch rotary pump, yes they did do one with an ECU but this one won't have one,

Last edited:
Right then, update time,
More parts!!!

IMG_0147.jpg

Bosch VE injection pump I think this one is off a Peugeot 405, it fits exactly the same and also judging by the condition a rebuild will be in order and while I'm at it some bigger internals ;)

IMG_0149.jpg

XUD cylinder head, again I think this is from a Peugeot 405 XUD7 rather than an XUD9 like my engine but they are identical in design, this one however was sent with a set of injectors in it as well which I had no idea about. They look in better condition than the other set so will be seeing if the models numbers are they same and if so these one's will be going to Diesel United in Shropshire. Oh, it does look quite clean as well....

IMG_0150.jpg

Port layout is rather weird. The bigger ones on top are the intake and thus the smaller ones are the exhaust ports. The casting in the ports looks rather rough, nothing a bit of porting and polishing won't cure :D

IMG_0151.jpg

That surface looks rather flat and in goof nick. There are no obvious cracks and the mating surface seems rather smooth. Having said that the valves do need lapping as they aren't so flat and smooth, but chances are they will get replaced any ways,

So yes, I have a load of part at the moment and I hear you say:
"Yes, that's all well and good but bloody get on with it...."

Fair point, but I'm going to be ordering a load of suspension parts on Monday as this is the part of the car that needs addressing first before any more power is to be made,
I am upgrading everything I can but either way it needs replacing with uprated or standard parts because most of it is just buggered up really,

also again apollogies for the image quality, I found my digi camera out now but the battery was flat, it is on change now so all is good and I will start using proper photos, but for now bask in the iPhone 3GS's brilliance