finally a new Fiesta RS Turbo owner :)

right everyone after the sale of the previous car fell through (less said the better) :wall:
i had a great bit of luck and dropped on this motor from a cracking guy from up cumbria :god:
its totally different spec wise to the white one i was going to get and i actually prefer that if im honest as its a lovely base to make a great car from and not ruin the oe looks/charm of it too much. :top:

its a 1990 car in red
totally standard engine wise apart from a receipt for some form of hybrid turbo
stainless system
lowered suspension
had a resto a few years ago and is in great shape nice and solid in all the usual areas.
also had an engine rebuild a few years ago

the car has not been on the road since 2014 but the current owner took the car for a pre mot on monday and it failed on the following

emissions too high
handbrake cable needs adjusting
spare wheel needs a tyre
one headlight not working
reverse light switch intermittent

and that was it so the plan is to give the car a real good full service including the following

oil and filter
ht leads and denso ik27 plugs
fuel filter
uprated frst fuel pump
coolant change
drive belt
cam belt and water pump kit
new set of wipers all round
new set of bulbs all round

the owner also informs me that the turbo will need a rebuild which is not a problem as it will go to my mate wilky for the said work and possibly a bit more of his magic work.

i also have my other mate who is a professional detailer booked in for the end of march to give the car a full paint correction detail and interior valet etc etc so the car will look spot on once done.

the plans are then to refit rebuilt turbo and then get the car an m.o.t. once this is done ill be calling msd for one of there set up sessions and if all well followed by there stage 3 conversion on the same day :)

looks wise with the car i dont really want to change anything apart from i think its crying out for the period 4" tailpipe on there :DD:

anyway enough babbling from me for now here are a few pics for you all

another little update got a few more bits that have arrived this week, namely an earth strap as we noticed the one on my gearbox was a bit worse for wear and also a brand new heater matrix.

the more important update is that me and my good mate karl will be working on the car this saturday and hope to have it running for the 1st time :) im hoping the wife is around so she can get a few vids etc

so the day finally come 1st start up on the rebuilt engine, sounds a bit tappy but more so on the video than in person, also always going to be a bit more tappy due to solid lifters.
we have got good oil pressure and certainly has cured the massive smoking problem.

Just wanted to add i cant thank my good mate Karl enough for all the long hours that have been put into this we are so close now to finally having a healthy engine and sorted car.

got a few jobs left to do which are

refit driveshafts and new cv boots
new passenger side wheel bearing
fit new heater matrix
fill the gearbox up with oil
mount and fit the oil pressure and boost gauges
weld bung into downpipe for afr gauge
mount and fit afr gauge

Hi Andy, great work good sir |B Sorry I have been ridiculously busy with Saab Club obligations recently otherwise I would have responded much sooner ;)

Almost there Andy :) |B
not far at all mate, although it might be a few weeks until we can do the final bit

Hi Andy, great work good sir |B Sorry I have been ridiculously busy with Saab Club obligations recently otherwise I would have responded much sooner ;)

thanks mr t9 and certainly no need to apologise matey i know just how busy things can get

Alright guys have a little bit more to update on.

we are going to be fitting driveshafts and filling gearbox with oil this thursday evening. Then at the weekend we will be fitting new heater matrix and fitting boost/oil temp gauge into the centre console.

But the main update has to be iv got the mot booked for 9am sat 28th April. I really cant see any reason why it would fail but we will see haha.

had a nice couple of deliveries off the postman

omp front and rear strut braces

and my favourite one this genuine a pillar panel with gauge mount mooulded in

ill be fitting my aem afr gauge into that and happy that i wont have to butcher any interior panels to fit any of my gauges :)

Very nice Andy |B As you say, should be no reason for the car to fail it's MOT, but if it does, give me the name and address of the garage concerned and I'll send the boys round to have a little word ;)

thanks alot mate :).

it really shouldnt as it flew through last time and we have replaced a few bits which we thought may of been borderline.

I will have you on speed dial just in case haha

Very nice Andy |B As you say, should be no reason for the car to fail it's MOT, but if it does, give me the name and address of the garage concerned and I'll send the boys round to have a little word ;)

thanks alot mate :).

it really shouldnt as it flew through last time and we have replaced a few bits which we thought may of been borderline.

I will have you on speed dial just in case haha

last night we got the drive shafts fitted with nice new boots on there :), gearbox was filled with nice fresh oil, wheels were refitted and the car was finally back on the deck for the 1st time in ages.

we also noticed the fuel hose from the regulator had seen better days and luckily i bought some a while back as fuel was firing out of it, so new hose was fitted and all sorted :)

i did also go and get 5ltrs of shells finest 99 octane earlier in the day and will be doing the same tomorrow morning, just wanna make sure we have decent fuel in there as the other stuff around 1/4 tank has been sitting for some time.

so the next jobs are now to get this new heater matrix fitted, fit boost and oil pressure gauges into centre console, possibly fit front and rear strut braces and fit a new set of plugs as we think the old ones have got contaminated when stored.

Last edited:
bit more to update on, over the weekend i pulled the car out to give it a clean as its not been done in a good while, whilst out i also popped the rear strut brace in.

on the sunday new plugs were fitted plus boost and oil pressure gauges were fitted into centre console.

sorry i didnt get any pics but will do at some point :)

so the plan for this weekend is to go for the mot at 9am on saturday then get the car back here to fit new heater matrix and plumb in the aem wideband gauge.

Iv got the car booked in at GT Motorsport in stoke to have it set up properly on 11th May as its certainly in need of a good tune up, once this is done ill be getting some miles on the old girl :)

well it was the day of the cars mot and im glad to report it passed with not even one single advisory :)

the tester was very complementary about the car which is always a nice thing i think

anyway i got a few pics whilst there for you all

really am over the moon with it, now its just to fit heater matrix next weekend andget it set up on 11th may and were good to get a few miles on it :)

Great news so now it's time to enjoy the end result of all the hard work.|B :)

thanks mate :)

not far off just want to get it properly set up and get the cam timing fine tuned then ill start using it, got 2 local car shows 19/20th may that i want to attend so thats the goal.

Tonight we got the new heater matrix fitted onto the car and also refitted the front seats, only job left now is to fit/plumb in aem wideband gauge before it heads off to be set up :)

Hi guys after what seems like an age i have somethings to update on the car

Had to admit defeat with some form of electrical gremlin which isnt letting the fuel pump prime, tried so many things and even tried things that were suggested by a few different people to no avail.

So the car is now booked in on October 22nd with my mate at GT Motorsport to get that sorted (which im very honourd as he doesnt touch old cars anymore). Iv also got the uprated clutch to go on along with beige injectors/uprated actuator ready for stage 3 power, and the cam timing will need a fine tune as well.

talking of power we were discussing the ecu situation and i could very well be going for some form of standalone ecu (either me221 or emerald k6) which will then be mapped by Mark at GT Motorsport this seems to be the best way to go imo.

so fingers crossed we just might finally start to get some use outta this car :)

I have experienced a similar gremlin at the Pittsworth street sprints some 4 years ago when the ignition cut out heading for the finish line and coasted over the line and parked out of the way and checked all fuses and connections many times and it was dead every time I cranked it over.after app 45 minutes I tried again and it started and ran fine and has not given any trouble since.

Really toying with the idea of going aftermarket ecu as it will give us a far greater scope tuning wise, Mark at GT seems to be adamant its a no brainer over the pretty basic oe ecu. Seriously looking at the ME221 ecu which looks a great bit of kit and good value tbh, or it could be an Emerald as iv had one of them on one of my older cars and it was really good also.

Not sure if the ecu idea will be done on this visit to GT as i just want the niggles sorted and fuelling set up along with cam timing fine tuned so i can just get a few miles on the thing and use it (and yes i will use it over winter if possible)

Iv actually just been out to the car and sat in it for the 1st time since about June/July time gotta get the love back for the car as it did escape in a big way.

im going to make a list of the few odds and ends that need finishing etc and maybe make a start on them on Sunday as the weather forecast is horrid.

I have experienced a similar gremlin at the Pittsworth street sprints some 4 years ago when the ignition cut out heading for the finish line and coasted over the line and parked out of the way and checked all fuses and connections many times and it was dead every time I cranked it over.after app 45 minutes I tried again and it started and ran fine and has not given any trouble since.

haha after i read that i went out to the car and did a massive pray and tried it....... nothing :(.

if only mine would of fixed itself, but we will get there then i can finally start using the thing and take my son out for some proper old school boostings :)

well iv had a job postpone on me due to the weather being a bit british.
anyway iv spoke to mark up at GT Motorsport and we are now getting my car upto him this Wednesday so who knows i could be out boosting in it this weekend :)

Iv also just purchased a new battery for it as the one that was on there has never been too great tbh

today i got the car ready to go upto gt motorsport tomorrow, this was much easier said than done haha as its been so long since i went near it i couldnt remember just where it was at and what needed putting where etc.

anyway fitted a new battery as well as the old one was pretty shot (took advantage of the many eurocarparts sales)

going pop out 1st thing tomorrow and get a jerry can of super unleaded so theres plenty of fuel in there theres around 1/4 tank atm

just a couple of random pics

im hoping to give the car a quick wash off in the morning as you can imagine its covered in quite a bit of dust etc

everything went as smoothly as possible earlier car was collected at 9.45am and is now up with mark at gt motorsport :)

Had my Dad call across help me get the car just onto the slope on the drive first thing this morning then i managed give the car a quick wash and clean inside nothing major as its still got a tonne of protection on there.

anyway took a few pics outside here and up when it was dropped off

If you decide to install an aftermarket ECU then IMO you should get the brand / make your preferred tuner recommends .

Got the call iv been waiting for earlier saying my car was ready :)

firstly a massive thanks to my good mate Mark at GT Motorsport for sorting it out and especially due to finding the car had a bent valve hence why it was running a bit rough, now i had nothing to do with timing the cam up on the build and im also not pointing any fingers its just one of them things and its now sorted.

fuelling is now bang on cam timing is perfect and iv had him turn the boost right down whilst im doing the first 200 miles before changing the oil for some proper stuff.

really felt good to have a little drive earlier even though i had to virtually come straight home and fetch my van so i could go get my son from nursery. And below is what he got home to and loved it :)
He actually cried when i said id got put the car away, little petrolhead :)

and a little video of the car running sweet as a nut with my son enjoying it, please note hes not even 3 yet and there was absolutely no chance he could let the handbrake off or anything like that.

If you decide to install an aftermarket ECU then IMO you should get the brand / make your preferred tuner recommends .

100% agree and this is what i always try and tell people, with regards to that i know he likes the emerald ecu and he was checking out the me221 to see whats what.

had an hour or so on the car this morning so got the interior trim refitted/ rear lower seat back in, wiring all tidied up from the fuse box etc, fitted a richbrook ford gear knob which feels good and looks better than the completely knackered one that was in.

then decided to check all tyre pressures and sort them out whilst the car was running followed by a little unplanned drive out, only did around 6 miles but car felt great obviously taking it easy until we drop this running in oil and put some proper stuff in (only another 194 miles to go) haha.
It really does feel good to finally get out and drive the thing after so long cant wait until i can start giving it some boost and then get some half decent power out of it.

Don't be too gentle with it as the rings need gas pressure behind them to bed in properly.

IMO You should be boosting app 1/2 of what the pressure of the gate setting for the best result.

Don't be too gentle with it as the rings need gas pressure behind them to bed in properly.

IMO You should be boosting app 1/2 of what the pressure of the gate setting for the best result.

HI mate 100% agree on that, it was brought onto boost a few times at different load areas but obviously not taken to the max, boost is only set to lower than oe settings for the moment as using this running in oil really thins out when warm so oil pressure drops a bit compared to when ill have the proper stuff in

Just remember oil flow is more important than oil pressure as pressure is the resistance to flow.
All oils will lose some pressure at the same revs as they reach operating pressure.

I'm sure you know this but others may not.|B

Managed to purchase and Emerald K6 ECU via ebay for a quite considerable saving on buying new. It comes with everything barring the loom which ill order and sort out.

Its obviously going to be next year before this is fitted/mapped but thought i couldnt miss out and with having used Emerald before and Mark at GT really likes the ecus then were onto a winner :)

Not trying to break any records or anything power wise but cant be a bad thing going for something much more capable/modern than the oe ecu for tuning etc and it gives me a great scope if i decide to go for 250+bhp down the line, as we stand i cant see that happening as iv got the st180 having a 320+bhp turbo being built for me as we speak so it would be nice to try and keep the RS to my theme of OE+

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the ECU and how much it improves the drive for you.

should be a good upgrade, emerald make a great ecu, will give us a far wider scope tuning/mapping wise.

id imagine its going to be around spring time when we look at doing this, ill try to double it up with doing the fresh oil/filter change.

On Sunday i decided to pull the car out and go for a little drive with the wife and son.
Drove faultlessly and even had a chat with a guy in his 50s at aldi when i parked up he made a beeline for me and said he couldnt remember the last time he had seen a fiesta turbo out on the road.

didnt really get many pics but these 2 especially the one of my son make it all worthwhile he really is a little petrolhead.