finally a new Fiesta RS Turbo owner :)

right everyone after the sale of the previous car fell through (less said the better) :wall:
i had a great bit of luck and dropped on this motor from a cracking guy from up cumbria :god:
its totally different spec wise to the white one i was going to get and i actually prefer that if im honest as its a lovely base to make a great car from and not ruin the oe looks/charm of it too much. :top:

its a 1990 car in red
totally standard engine wise apart from a receipt for some form of hybrid turbo
stainless system
lowered suspension
had a resto a few years ago and is in great shape nice and solid in all the usual areas.
also had an engine rebuild a few years ago

the car has not been on the road since 2014 but the current owner took the car for a pre mot on monday and it failed on the following

emissions too high
handbrake cable needs adjusting
spare wheel needs a tyre
one headlight not working
reverse light switch intermittent

and that was it so the plan is to give the car a real good full service including the following

oil and filter
ht leads and denso ik27 plugs
fuel filter
uprated frst fuel pump
coolant change
drive belt
cam belt and water pump kit
new set of wipers all round
new set of bulbs all round

the owner also informs me that the turbo will need a rebuild which is not a problem as it will go to my mate wilky for the said work and possibly a bit more of his magic work.

i also have my other mate who is a professional detailer booked in for the end of march to give the car a full paint correction detail and interior valet etc etc so the car will look spot on once done.

the plans are then to refit rebuilt turbo and then get the car an m.o.t. once this is done ill be calling msd for one of there set up sessions and if all well followed by there stage 3 conversion on the same day :)

looks wise with the car i dont really want to change anything apart from i think its crying out for the period 4" tailpipe on there :DD:

anyway enough babbling from me for now here are a few pics for you all

been keeping the postman busy lately haha

gates cam belt/ina tensioner and water pump

victor reinz head bolts

billet crank pulley weighs 340g compared to oe 620g

stack mechanical boost gauge

stack mechanical oil pressure gauge

newman cams timing disc so we can get things absolutely spot on with there cvh turbo cam.

a few more pieces to the puzzle as you can see :)

finally got the crank and last related bits removed from the bottom end. It will now 100% all be going to the engine shop for inspection this coming saturday, we had a good look at crank and bearings thrusts etc look good so hopefully we get good news from it.

TIP the only way to properly clean the crank and ensure that the bearing oil galleries will be spotlessly clean is to have the ball bearings at the side of the rod journals removed BEFORE it is hot tanked for cleaning as that is where any gunk will have accumulated due to rotational forces and then have grub screws installed.

bit of a change of plan, iv loaded the bottom end/crank onto the van and will be dropping it off at the engine shop 1st thing this morning :) so hopefully by end of play today/tomorrow we will know exactly whats needed etc.
I am also taking my flywheel to them to be lightened should save a couple of kgs

got a nice update from the engine shop earlier today

the block only requires re honing
crank just needs polishing

so iv now got new mains/big ends and thrusts on order along with a set of +0.5mm piston rings. Once they arrive there wont be much from stopping us building the whole engine up :)

had a few more deliveries and also got the bottom end back from engine shop

mahle +0.5mm piston rings

mahle crankshaft bearings

pistons/rods all cleaned up and rings removed

crankshaft polished

block hot washed, and bores plateau honed

and a marmite mod motorsport developments dump valve. please dont worry i wont be butchering any boost hoses as i have a roose hose with the dv part on there.

we are looking at starting the engine build next sunday :)

engine stand is now in the conservatory ready to bolt the block up tonight and get cracking this sunday, im going to paint the block one evening this week also. (yes that is my son on the pic behind being foreman haha)

Hi Andy I don't know what your intentions are regarding boost level increase you will be using to increase power so will your stock rods be strong enough for the power level you want.?

Just curious as to why the ARP's are needed as if the power level is staying close to stock then wouldn't the factory bolts have been up to the job ?

Not knocking the upgrade just thinking out loud :)

Hi mate no its good that you ask.

Basically the rods are more than strong enough for my planned increase in power which will be around 50-60bhp and similar lb/ft.

After speaking to a few cvh turbo experts they advised me to fit arp bolts as a safeguard as old oe ones can let go. Might be a bit overkill but better safe than sorry and the arp bolts cost about £10 more than oe bolts.

Last edited:
Had a really productive day building the engine yesterday, gotta say a huge thanks tp my good mate karl for giving up alot of his sunday to come and help out.

as you will see from the pics, crank,sump,pistons,rings,rods, oil and water pumps,pulleys, cam belt, headgasket, cylinder head, newman cam and mechanical lifters (fiddly feckers), rockers etc all have been fitted just got a slight adjustment on a couple of the lifters to do then they are all good.

just placed rocker cover on to keep any crap out and also blocked off inlet/exhaust ports since the last pic was taken.

we will be doing a bit more on the engine on thursday evening, probably fit inlet and related parts and turbo manifold/turbo etc, if we get time then starter motor/alternator will be fitted also.

Also renewed insurance via heritage yesterday, i halved the proposed mileage and also for some reason they had it stated as kept on drive which it never has been, so that was changed to garaged. Anyway with me and the wife on as named driver it come to £137 so very happy with that.

and i did a grand total of 46 miles in it last year haha that should be quite alot more this time

Last edited:
we got some more done on the engine yesterday evening
oil filter fitted, inlet manifold and all related bits fitted inc throttle bodie, turbo manifold and turbo fitted.

my good mate karl was over again yesterday and gave up a good part of his saturday to help with building more bits of the engine up, also had time to build the new engine crane up (no pics sorry)

turbo oil feed/engine mounts/ht leads/alternator/belt and crank pulley fitted.

new cosworth oil pressure switch and stack oil pressure gauge bits fitted

coil/dipstick fitted

and quite a bit of time spent on getting the solid lifters bang on for the cam, very fiddly job for sure.

Andy are you able to pressurize the oil galleries before start up the first time or just crank it over without the plugs in place so there is no load on the bearings to build oil pressure ??

Most curious, I have not received any email notifications in a month on this project Andy :(
Better have a word with the boss man about it, incoming Obi :lol:
Look great buddy :)

Most curious, I have not received any email notifications in a month on this project Andy :(
Better have a word with the boss man about it, incoming Obi :lol:
Look great buddy :)

thats strange mate although my notifications always seem a bit sporadic.

thanks pal lots of work still to do as well

not a great deal to update on, no progress was made last weekend due to other commitments and nothing will be happening this weekend for same reason and also down to karl injuring his back at work on monday.
Im hoping we can do some on it next weekend but will just have to see how things go, we really aint that far off finishing now.

otherwise i did recieve a few new bits, helix clutch release bearing and new reverse light switch.
I also had my turbo crossover pipe repaired by a local engineering company and helicoiled by dave rushton.
If anyone knows these cars they will know the 2 bolt hole areas on the pipe always seem to break away and thread wears out which means ht lead bracket is no use and they just sit all over the place in the hot engine bay which looks really untidy imo.

Finally i have a bit more to update on.

yesterday afternoon we got the engine off the stand and onto the engine crane so we could fit the flyweel and clutch.

we then pushed the car out of the garage and removed engine from crane to then put the crane and engine up the back corner.

the gearbox was then removed from the car ready to be cleaned and fingers crossed we will be getting the engine back in the car next sunday afternoon.
The good news is the conservatory is now back to normal bar my front bumper being in there so thats one less headache ill have as i had an april deadline get it sorted haha

up and at em, bit of a sore head this morning due yesterdays boxing so nothing better for it than a day of working on the car.

got a few odds and ends that need doing before we look at getting the engine into it, got some new cv boots to fit, battery tray is slightly loose so going to weld that in properly, gearbox needs cleaning up as well.

i will try to take pics but sometimes i just forget as i like to just get stuck in and crack on.

great bit of an update :)

yesterday turned out to be rather productive and we really are not far off from starting the car up now :)

gearbox was all cleaned out internally and a quick clean on the outside, battery tray was welded in properly as it was loose.
Gearbox was then fitted to engine and engine lifted into the car, we then plumbed all the engine in but fount one of the connectors to heater matrix had perished and crumbled away (better to find now than when out on the road). We also fount passenger side wheel bearing was shot.

jobs left to do are refit drive shafts and new cv boots, plumb in amal valve and dump valve, fit new heater matrix, fill with oil and coolant and get it started for the 1st time

anyway heres a few pics for you all

Andy a pro tip 4 U :)

I would recommend that you change what looks like a brass fitting (if it is brass) for the oil pressure gauge line for steel as I had a brass fitting crack/fail a few years after installation while being tuned on a dyno and a litre of oil on the floor can create quite a mess.V(.

Fortunately no harm done to the motor as it was spotted in time.:):):)

Andy a pro tip 4 U :)

I would recommend that you change what looks like a brass fitting (if it is brass) for the oil pressure gauge line for steel as I had a brass fitting crack/fail a few years after installation while being tuned on a dyno and a litre of oil on the floor can create quite a mess.V(.

Fortunately no harm done to the motor as it was spotted in time.:):):)

duly noted and we will have a check on if its brass or not, thank you :)