DIY tips & guides

Post your DIY tips hints and questions in here. This forum is for all GENERAL car related DIY tips. Model specific tips should be posted in the makes and models section.

Video guides

A selection of DIY instruction videos for all types of DIY job.
Threads
Threads
Hello everybody, Just thougt I'd share a recent innovations votive solution for an in car iPad mount. Or any other tablet for that matter... The problem: 90% of us who use or even own a tablet tend to keep it in a protectve cover, yet manufacturers of 'in car' mounts seem to have overlooked this and only supply holders that fit the iPad by clipping into place in the it the protect be case. For anybody who spends time on the road and uses their iPad as a sat nav (as I do) this means swapping cases constantly, which is a complete waste of time! The solution: This is what I did with my Jaguar, but this could be utilised for many other types of car with very little modification (if any), do so at your own risk, I am simply sharing what...
Car: 1972 Datsun 240z Problem: High Oil Pressure When i turn the car to the on position, the oil pressure gauge sweeps just below 90 psi (the top of my guage). It used to be even higher than that but recently came down a bit. What really confuses me is that I just drained every drop of oil from the motor. How is it reading that there is ANY oil pressure, let alone HIGH oil pressure? And yes, the oil was blacker than black (also supposedly had Seafoam in it at one point to clean the motor). Is it my oil pressure relief valve? Any suggestions?
2013 Genesis Coupe. But you can do this with any car. So on Amazon I found some ver cheap LED lighting and picked up 4x 30 cm LED red strips (not very bright, US$6.88) , and 2x 2 waterproof LED white lighting strips (almost as bright as headlights, US$5.85 for each). You'll need a soldering iron & solder heat shrink wrap (or tape...) elec tape (if for nothing else than to wrap the split loom junctions) install bay 1/4" split loom to wrap up the wiring wire (thin guage wire is fine, LED takes very little power) I used speaker wire hoop terminal connectors (or you can wrap the wires around the screws for a ground) wire strippers This weekend I did a little project and did an easy LED strip lighting mod to my car. I'm looking for a...
Hello. I am a technical school student. My objective is all electric on the car. It would be an interesting to learn how to tweak PCMs, since I see several practical uses for the knowledge. People use it in areas from car theft to tuning and engine redesigning. Is there any way I can learn what programming goes into PCMs and any method I can make my PC communicate with it? How to program it. If I want to tweak a PCM of, let's say an 07 Honda Civic, where do I go look for resources? Are PCMs programmed in Assembly? Thank you.
for badly faded and dull black bumper plastics,heat up plastic with a heat gun and waft as if using an aerosol this will will return your bumpers or any faded plastic trim ,back to its former glory.hair dryers simply dont generate enough heat it has to be something hot and dont be scared to really heat up just be careful not to touch surface with the end of your gun.
ok ive looked into painting my lower valances to visually lower the car. So for a practice i decided to paint some of the underbonnet parts so engine cover battery cover and top fuse cover all done. started small and worked up 1st the fuse cover ( center section of the battery cover ) sorta screwed this up with to thick a coats of primer it started to run then the battery cover. starting to look a bit better lastly the engine cover think i did a good job of this all 3 got 3 coats of black primer 4 coats of vw reflex siver paint then around 10 layers of clear coat. this was my mistake i should have used proper lacquer but i had the clear coat in the cupboard from painting something else. the heat from the engine has added a...
I'd like to give a shout out to these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JDM-RED-1998-2002-Honda-Accord-Adjustable-Lowering-Coilover-Coil-Springs-Kit-/330863407779?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3APrelude&hash=item4d08fef2a3 I've had them on the red Lude with Koni sport dampers since August & their great. Its a bit of hit & miss when mixing different springs & dampers but this setup is working great.:amuse::amuse::amuse: Only thing is, I can't go as low as I'd like with the body kit on.
I'll throw this open with a starter question then. How do you change the wheel on your car? What safety measures should you take using a scissor jack, anyone got any tips on undoing really tight nuts or removing locking wheel nuts without the key? Write up a step by step guide on how to do this relatively simple but essential task or chip in with some tips and suggestions.
First off, hello i havent been on in a while. I have done a search and had a look on here i cant find a guide to fitting a exhaust back box, is there one or any tips i can have to fit one successfully. I would imagin you unbolt or slide off the back box remove the pipe maybe small amount of cutting involved. Then to put the new one on slide pipe back in slide the arms into the rubber put the sealent on and clamp?
I'm modifying an '88 Z31 for speed, but I'm confused. My process begins with the exhaust, intake, boost controller, and now... I/C. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a I/C kit but don't have to tools to make my own, or the time to be that creative. I found this kit.... http://www.cmperformanceexhaust.com/online-store/z31-intercooler-kit/z31-i-c-kit-01?pop=0 and this one..... http://www.cmperformanceexhaust.com/online-store/z31-intercooler-kit/z31-i-c-kit-02 Idk, why the first kit is so much cheaper. Also, is it a full kit? Lastly, I was planning on getting a manual boost controller, how does this play out with the BOV? I found this kit...
Hey my name's Chad I'm new to forums lol but I was considering buying the 2012 Scion Fr-s and am impressed by everything about it except for the 200 hp and 151 ft. lb of torque :amazed:. I don't know a lot about cars and was wondering what options I would have to raise the hp. I would be happy at 274 i would be amazed at 300+ i know about turbochargers and superchargers but there too expensive and require extra suspension etc. etc. please tell me what you're advice would be.:D
There comes a time when every paint job has reached the end of its natural life. Assuming you care about these kinds of things, what do you do? Wrap it or paint it? When it comes down to it your costs will be about even so it’s really a question of preference. If you’re looking a truly unique pattern or finish (like the sticker bomb wrap above) then wrapping s the way to go but nothing beats paint for durability. So, lay or spray? Weigh in here and we’ll let you know the results next week.
The normal 12 piont type will most likely slip and round off the corners of nuts/bolts especially if they are not in A1 shape so IMO it is better to have 6 point tools ( normal/most common are 12 point) and better still to buy FLANK DRIVE tools as they exert pressure onto the sides/flat surfaces and not the corners so there can be no rounding of the corners. The brand you buy is up to you as the price range is wide with the top being Stalwillie and Snap On. Happy to be corrected by the more knowledgeable if my info is incorrect.
Hi everyone I've decided I want to give it a go at putting a SR20 engine into a Nissan Micra. I found the engine haven't got the car yet looking for 'the one'. The only thing i'm not sure on other than fitting it in is which gear box to use. I'm trying to do this on a strict budget and hopefully mak4 it into a tread once done.
Pics are to follow right now i am just writing it so i myself dont forget what i am doing! Things you need : - A socket set or similar to remove the wheel bolts (17mm) - A degreaser to clean the wheels - Various grit wet and dry or glass paper. - Masking tape (around 2 rolls) - Several sheets of newspaper - A dust brush or similar - 800ml of Primer (usually 2 cans) - 800ml of Paint - 800ml of Clear Lacquer Firstly, you need to remove the wheels from your car. If you have no replacement wheels, you need to put the car on axle stands. Follow the guidelines in the Haynes manual or find secure points on the car as otherwise you could cause damage to the underside of the car and possibly find the floor inside the car has been pushed up...
hi, my plan for my 240sx was to put an rb20det engine in it, which costs like around 1300 i think to order, but a friend of my dad sais he ordered a ka24de from japan, and japan did engine work to it, it is not turbocharged its only dual head cams and electronicaly fuel injected, naturaly aspirated, like i said he had them do work to it and my dad said that he thinks his friend said it puts out around 300hp, this seems impractical to me considering it is not turbocharged and the stock engine comes with around 150hp??? he said he would sell it to me for 6 or 700$, it would really take the hassle of ordering an engine and shipping and stuff, but i just wanna know if it is possible to get 300hp from a KA24de naturaly aspirated...
My 2003 punto does not have an intermittent rear wipe and only one setting on the front . In my local scrappys there are some with the function an the stalk , so question is if I replace my stalk with a different one would I have the function ? I have read that it is the stalk that controls the functions . I have had a look on line and from what I can find out there is one wire missing between the stalk that has the function and one that has not . Can any one shed any light on this ? thanks for looking
Hi, i have a 1997 900 saab that i have owned from new, recently the reverse gear is gifficult to engage, i can get in gear by applying the hand break, putting into 1 st gear and attempting to move forwards, this dipps the rear of the car oand reverse can then be selected. any ideas on what could be wrong. ps the car has only covered 60 k cheers kev
Lets begin with a hello, for I have just joined. I have the eclipse listed above, which comes stock with a 420A Chrysler engine... So no turbo right now. I am looking for ways to turbo this vehicle, for it would be my first turbocharged car. I am not sure if I should keep the Chrysler engine or swap to say a 4G63 mitsu engine to add turbos. I do know to keep the Chrysler engine I will need to rebuild it with stronger internals, I am sure I would melt the engine if I decided to take it to the strip and up the boost... I am open to any suggestion but I do not know where to begin with such project. I would like to have an interior boost control module to control the boost and air/fuel ratio so I can still get good gas millage and be able...
have just boughht some clean cut polish and turtle wax to get out some blemishs in paint there is a bit of a dep scratch and its starting to rust abit what can i do for that and could some one tell me the best way to get a good finish i alreadsy looked at the thingo on main website but yeh :)
I know a guy who is selling this: Turbo kit - Manifold, new studs, new head, new intake manifold, injectors, downpipe, turbo (Garrett T25), blow off valve, spare throttle body and random accessories, turbo gaskets (intake and dp side), manifold gasket (between manifold and head), stainless braided water and oil lines, stainless braided fuel lines, fuel perssure regulator (stock and uprated), stainless downpipe. The manifold was machined a few months ago and injectors have been flowtested and cleaned by Wich Doctor in USA. I will include the injector loom and I also have a set of larger 3SGE rev3 injectors with pigtails. You will need your own engine management. £200 to go to a good home. Pictures are in my mod thread. I have done all...
i have a lorry air horn in my car with a 75l air tank hooked up for a reservoir. im currently refilling it by pluging into the main air line in the garage or at a service station with the tyre guage. iv looked around for 12v air compressors but cant find any reliable ones. im running the system at 120psi, big enough pressure. i once heard that an air-con pump can pump air. think i saw it on scrapheap challenge!?! is this true that it can pump air because there is one fitted on my car at the minute so all has to be done is some re-piping etc to get me away. any knowledge on this subject would be greatfully welcomed.
hi guy`s im pumba from gwent lol im hoping for some advice. i have a 206 1.4 an is looking to convert it to a 2.0 gti engine,both cars are preplex 1.4 2000 an gti 1999.i have a whole gti as a donor car.if any one has done this or has any info id be very gratefull. im looking to see if any one can give me a list of what id need to change an what to look out for,so far this is what i think id need engine+box complete front subframe inc,brakes,legs sterring rack ecu an key chip,engine loom fuel pump rear axel(mines knaffed any how) dash clocks is this all i need or am i missing something also my mate owns a garage doing mechanics an electrics so will have the use of this :lol: thanks in advance guys
Has anyone attempted, or successfully made their own carbon fiber body panels? I came across a video of a guy making his own stuff and I thought it looked like a pretty interesting project to take on. Also, to those who have done it, did you save any money on making your own stuff considering you have to buy all the equipment and vacuum compression bag (if that's what you would call it)? And for someone who's inexperienced, is this an relatively easy project to take on if you have plenty of free time and patience? Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.
ok, so got my old silver rims because my car tread is getting seriously low, but i have always liked silver n black so i decided to paint them pearlescent black i bought grey primer aswell got a few pics i dulled the laquer on before and sanded 80 180 400 1000 then 1500 grit sandpaper took a while but well worth the effort ! This is why 90 mph emergency stop didnt do this tyre anygood.
I want to remove my current tank as im caring too much fuel on track. My question is what do i need, Do i need a tank with swirl pot? Or can i use a foam filled tank as im trying to eliminate fuel sloshing about. Ive no idea when it comes to this im allowed an aftermarket set up and will use a tank with approx 12 litres. Looking at one like this ** Removed URL as per our T&C's** Any information much welcomed on this thanks. Car is 1.6i.
This is an article is primarily based on a 2002 VW Bora, but I've changed discs and pads on many a car down the years and the basics are pretty much the same for standard systems. Because car makes and models do vary we suggest you consult with a good workshop manual to get an overview of the specifics for your car. As always if you are not reasonably competent at car mechanics please leave work to a professional. Continue reading...
Thought you guys might like this :) Here it is in action A video of an older version http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CWW4PQQz2uE If you want to see what it looks like. I'm always surprised just how much alcohol is on my breath the morning after... just a warning, easily enough to dampen your reactions.
Hello guys, I have bought a BMW 728i 1996, around 220 000 km. I was thinking to increase the horse power / torque on this engine. What is the best thing i can do? installing a new, modified cpu or changing the sparkplugs / fuel pump or any other idea's ? I'm verry interested! If you perhaps have a repair manual or techical info about this car i would be gratefull! Greets, Spillie :)
Hey guys thanks for looking. So guys my friend with a gti 180 is getting a new full exsaust system apart from the back box . Its not blowing or anything he has just got his hands on a sportyer one . Basicly what i want to know is if there will be any benifits to putting the exhsaust off the 180 on to my normal gti ? .also what about the sensors will i be better off with his or mine ? . Thanks in advance gtivirgin
Yaris 2008 1.5L 3D – how to make a driver’s seat foldable? Hi Guys I’ve got Yaris 2008 1.5L 3D, USA standards, left steer wheel. it’s a nice and smart car, I test its character in Russian winter conditions these days and first results are quite acceptable ( without comparison to my another pet - 3.0L 4X4 Outlander XL). There is quite a problem resulting from its 3-door feature – driver’s seat is not foldable, so you have to make some acrobatic movements to put something on rear seat. It is also very uncomfortable to get a passenger from right side only. I understand that the reason is safety and accept it – generally. But it could be nice and sage in Mariland state but not in my case. Quite often you got a passenger from a...
Ok so i plugged my pug 206 gti in to obd and it showed up coil bank 1 so ive sourced a coil pack off of a breaker on facebook 15quid . But its off a vts will this be alrite do you think . The guy says they are all the same i sent him a picture so he cud see mine . . I dont know if its going to be the same do you guys think it will fit ok and spark at same rate ? Not slow me down or damage my car ?? Here is pic of my gti coil Cheers gtivirgin
If your car won't start use the checklists in this thread to diagnose the problem. Flat battery - do they lights dim to a faint glow when the starter motor cuts in? Starter motor - does the starter motor relay click into place, is the starter motor actually spinning and turning over the engine. Sometimes you lose some teeth on the starter ring so there is no contact with the starter motor, putting the car in gear and rocking it backwards and forwards is usually enough to rotate the starter ring slightly and make contact. Please suggest other things to check in the event of a non starting car in this thread.
Hi everyone. I just bought a Chevrolet Matiz 2007 model. Full service done plus new brakes and pads and brand new clutch kit. The things is, while im driving, the car doesnt have power in acceleration, it brakes or slowing down while i am accelerating. Doesn't go over 40m/h and drink 80£ worth of petrol. Last week while driving on motorway the car was trebling and the steering wheel too. What might be the problem guys. Please if anyone has any idea please share.
two questions, 1. what does the current and voltage waveform of distributor output in a conventional car look like, I mean is it a pulse or sine wave or anything else... 2. I have a 3-cylinder car, and four point distributor, any wild ideas what i can do with the fourth wire.... :) thanks
I have a video on the web of how to upgrade your front disc brakes and rotors on a 00 Mitsu Galant. This video can also be used as a general how to for any car. If there is anything that you think should also be done feel free to comment. (Video is in two parts on you tube) Video 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9dPfXHWvHo Video two http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly4ScbY8rwM
Hi guys, I’m here to get some advice to buy a 1967 Mustang. My cousin owns a Mustang 1967 model and I got a chance to ride it. It was an awesome experience and from then I really want to buy one. However, I’ve been thinking of getting an old one and I even discussed with my cousin to know more about it. But I got to know that it is very difficult to buy an old car. Hence, I searched online and found some tips that should be considered before buying an old model (http://www.serviceplus416.com/maintenance-tips/the-ultimate-guide-to-buying-a-classic-car/) when I searched online. Do I need to consider anything else? Please share your experience. Thanks.
Dont waste gbp125-150 per front caliper and be off the road for 4 working days, while waiting for the refurbished ones, when they start sticking (as they surely will because all Impreza's seem prone to this). you can buy a replacement rubber kit from the main delaer for gbp30 that does both sides. Depending on how bad they are, and mine were bad, takes about 2-3hours per side. Would have put up a guide on how to change them but doing it in zero degrees, outside, with flakes of snow falling didnt prompt me to stop and get out the camera. just makes sure the pots are very clean before you put them back in and ONLY if they have small pits of rust on them clean them off LIGHTLY with a bit of 1200 paper, nothing more harsh or you...
Re: Ideas for basic guides - what you want to see in this section I would like to see some advise on safety procedures, just basic stuff like jacking up AND supporting cars on proper axle stands, the wearing of safety goggles and gloves when welding/grinding and suitable clothing, seems daft but just today I saw in the press a young girl had been killed when her scarf got caught in the drivetrain of a gokart she was driving..... . . .not a nice way to go and a sad loss of a young life. I speak from experience guys, after 30 years in the trade 3 visits to casualty to have metal removed from my eyes and once for a slip with an angle grinder and unbeleivably recently I managed to chop the top off one of my fingers, luckily its grown back...

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back