Changing a wheel

I'll throw this open with a starter question then. How do you change the wheel on your car?

What safety measures should you take using a scissor jack, anyone got any tips on undoing really tight nuts or removing locking wheel nuts without the key?

Write up a step by step guide on how to do this relatively simple but essential task or chip in with some tips and suggestions.

if your out on the road typically only the scissor jack is available, just dont stick your head under the car when it is up on the jack with no support. Usually when i am jacking it up in the air, when space allows, just slide the spare wheel or spacesaver under the car in case the jack gives out - especially relevant when the wheel is of. Also make sure no one is still in the car when you are doing this making the car move around.

dont slam doors when jacked put the wheel rim up under the brake disk (not your nice £600 ones though) also if your locking nut is in and no key get a impact socket that is one size to small and a big hammer you get the idea also unsure of the name but you get sockets that have screws on them screw into the locking nut this isnt the best idea though because the screw can thread and you will have to go smaller.....

i really wouldnt recommend anyone put the spare wheel under the brake disc cause usually the disc is only held on by 1 screw so this is probably the weakest point to place a backup support if anywhere i would use the sill

when not at work with the joys of air tools, ramp/pit ect

If the nuts are tight extend the bar, i find that using the bar from my jack can fit on my cross bar, it can really help if you are struggling.

only tighten the nuts up so much when in the air, low the car and tighten them up.
If it is the front wheels getting a chunk of wood to hold down the brakes can help stop them spinning when jacked up DO NOT have someone sit in it and hold it down!

When using a small jack don't get under the car, if any work needs to be done under the car get a pit or ramp

Always!! have the ebrake on fully before jacking...i have seen it where people haven't done that...

removing wheel nuts with out the key...i have only done it once and it was with a old pair of mole grips that was welding to a old metal pipe, doesn't work with all of them but it does with some :)

always remember that leverage is the key!

yea my nut got rusted on my rover when i bought it and i threaded it by accident when it was rusted wasnt my fault :D nipped it to my mates garage and he used the impact socket on it came straight off

if u really! cant get a locking wheel nut of your cars dealer will be able to...but it is costy try every over way frist!

ive done up half a guide but need to get pics for it, hopefully will have it up in the next couple of weeks as wanting to get my 17"s back on. the 16" have more tread (5mm) but cant handle me coming off corners and touching the throttle