Rough Alloy Wheel Spraying Guide

Firstly I've never done this before, I was starting to do it then got lazy and just got them powder coated from a company lol here's a rough guide so you know roughly how it works and if I miss or do anything wrong, just point it out :p Thanks

Firstly remove the wheels from the car:

Stuff016.jpg

I wouldn't Advise on doing it on Stone chips but these have been very hard packed into the ground but do it with care!

You'll need some Supply's which you should have gotten first but hey I always do things the hard way :p

Stuff014.jpg

Some 60 & 120 Sand paper, some Cheap primer and Alloy Wheel Primer and (Colour of your choice) Black Gloss and some Laguaer.

Now have the tyres removed from the Wheels unless your only wanting to do the face of the alloys then I suggest Mask off the tyre

Stuff012.jpg

As you see I've sanded half of it right back to the metal for a better job as using old pimer could make you paint flake quicker.

Now there's no more photo's as this is where I took them for another company to do but once all sanded, you'll use the cheap primer on the alloy wheel and allow 30mins - 1hour to dry ...... 5mins in the sun normally works aswel lol

now use the Alloy wheel Primer and same allow to dry.

Now use the Colour of your choice, remember to not to spray too close. Your primer was practice as it primer runs, let dry and sand back however with paint your not wanting to spoil the job. keep about 20cm's away and spray indoors to aviod wind and do not stop moving your hand!..... start from top and move side to side.

Same applys with Laquaer.

Now you should be ready to go, however you do this at your own will. I did not finish the job therefore cant be blamed for any damage :p

Firstly I've never done this before, I was starting to do it then got lazy and just got them powder coated from a company lol here's a rough guide so you know roughly how it works and if I miss or do anything wrong, just point it out :p Thanks

Firstly remove the wheels from the car:

Stuff016.jpg

I wouldn't Advise on doing it on Stone chips but these have been very hard packed into the ground but do it with care!

You'll need some Supply's which you should have gotten first but hey I always do things the hard way :p

Stuff014.jpg

Some 60 & 120 Sand paper, some Cheap primer and Alloy Wheel Primer and (Colour of your choice) Black Gloss and some Laguaer.

Now have the tyres removed from the Wheels unless your only wanting to do the face of the alloys then I suggest Mask off the tyre

Stuff012.jpg

As you see I've sanded half of it right back to the metal for a better job as using old pimer could make you paint flake quicker.

Now there's no more photo's as this is where I took them for another company to do but once all sanded, you'll use the cheap primer on the alloy wheel and allow 30mins - 1hour to dry ...... 5mins in the sun normally works aswel lol

now use the Alloy wheel Primer and same allow to dry.

Now use the Colour of your choice, remember to not to spray too close. Your primer was practice as it primer runs, let dry and sand back however with paint your not wanting to spoil the job. keep about 20cm's away and spray indoors to aviod wind and do not stop moving your hand!..... start from top and move side to side.

Same applys with Laquaer.

Now you should be ready to go, however you do this at your own will. I did not finish the job therefore cant be blamed for any damage :p
good first half attempt:toung:
but a few things i personally wouldnt do is use 60/120 grit sandpaper this will leave scratches on the alloy and you will see it in the finished paint work, also i would use the alloy wheel primer first on the bare aluminum (i presume its an etch primer?) cause it will adhere better and help prevent oxidization, and after you have done your rubbing down always give the wheels a good clean (i use oven cleaner just dont do it on the lawn:embarrest:)

Last edited:
thought you used etch primer for bare metal ?

edit:
beaten to it by herb.

agree with the sandaper as well 240 would have been a better choice imo

Yes etch primer for bare metal and what grit you start with depends on how bad the wheels are. Probably 240 and then work your way up to 800 or even 1200.