DIY tips & guides

Post your DIY tips hints and questions in here. This forum is for all GENERAL car related DIY tips. Model specific tips should be posted in the makes and models section.

Video guides

A selection of DIY instruction videos for all types of DIY job.
Threads
Threads
Bit handy I thought. :amuse: MOT Testers Handbook * * New link thanks to Luton Matt
What is a compression test? A compression test can be a very useful tool in checking the overall health of your...
We get asked this question quite a lot so here is an introduction thread to cover the basics of adding a turbo. Feel...
Angel eyes car headlights are circural-shaped rings that that when light up give the agresive look to your car.They...
Ok, so i changed my pads after a very needed change, was left late as i get one day off a week and some theives...
OK heres a quick guide to changing a wheel Tools Required Jack preferable Hydraulic one Socket most common...
If you do this properly it will look Cool :cool: Things you will need: 1. Carbon Fiber wrap (cheap enough...
This is a very quick guide to fitting an amp into your car. Right first of all you'll need a set of screw drivers...
the below link covers quite a few cars. PCD Offset and bores are shown...
Here it is as promised a brand new forum for DIY tips and guides. Feel free to post up your (ORIGINAL) articles and...
This is just a brief guide to brake pad removal and refitment (of new ones), this is done on an Impreza so rear...
Already in my project thread but not easy to find in nearly 100 posts. 1. Take an old bike inner tube and cut the...
Check your car on the insurance database and on the DVLA database marti i used http://www.askmid.com/ - checks the...
Hey guys, So, Im wanting to get started on a project car in a few years time once I’ve done my degree so I’m gonna...
Where do you start looking when a car wont start? I thought it would be handy to have a thread to help people...
would anyone be interested in a step by step guide to *wiring* a car audio system, covering headunits, screens...
I have a set of m parallels for my e38. Problem is I purchased them with chipping black paint. I prefer the factory...
If anyone is a visual learner my YouTube channel may help you out. It's all DIY style videos about my various car...
If anyone is interested in a detailed step by step video tutorial of how to custom retrofit Orion4 halos into Depo...
We bought my '98 Chevrolet Tahoe used, and within a year it blew a turn-signal bulb in the rear. A really helpful...
Hi All, Firstly, I apologise if this has been asked before, if so can you point me in the right direction? I have...
Greetings everyone! So as my title says I wanna add a supercharger to my car but it's not as simple as it sounds...
Hi everyone. I just bought a Chevrolet Matiz 2007 model. Full service done plus new brakes and pads and brand new...
Hey just asking but is it possible to remove the lens on a headlight without destroying them ???
Picture this: you’re broke and you just cracked your bumper and, suddenly, your ride isn’t road worthy anymore. You...
Hi Where is the cheapest place on the mainland to get a lightened flywheel for a hyundai coupe 2.0 L 2003
An overall engine tune up such as performance spark plugs, wires etc...also ignition and valve timing will be...
Hi guys, So out simply, what maintenance should be carried out on me car! Apart from refuelling which is probably...
If your car won't start use the checklists in this thread to diagnose the problem. Flat battery - do they lights...
Hello guys, I have bought a BMW 728i 1996, around 220 000 km. I was thinking to increase the horse power / torque...
There comes a time when every paint job has reached the end of its natural life. Assuming you care about these kinds...
Hi everyone I've decided I want to give it a go at putting a SR20 engine into a Nissan Micra. I found the engine...
any serious advice on how to get rid of dog smell inside the car. previous owner of my car has a dog and the car...
Hi guys, I’m here to get some advice to buy a 1967 Mustang. My cousin owns a Mustang 1967 model and I got a chance...
so i have recently got a aftermarket air filter which i which to fit to my renault clio 1.2 for the noise really...
Anyone tried the Trinity Chemicals version? eBay item number: 332039546252
The following guide was written specifically for the BMC CDA air filter but the basic procedure can be applied to...
I posted up a question about how many could change a wheel which is something i think is very basic and everyone...
Hello everybody, Just thougt I'd share a recent innovations votive solution for an in car iPad mount. Or any other...
Got a squeaky boot when driving \Bpug 180. But cant for the life of you find the cause!!!! The 180 doesn't come...
If i had to remove the cam covers, sand of the paint, polish it to a shiny finish, would a high heat clear coat...
I'm posting these up so I can do a before after thingy...
In the process of restoring my Corvair I discovered and wrote up a paper on the restoration of Stainless and...
My 2003 punto does not have an intermittent rear wipe and only one setting on the front . In my local scrappys there...
Have any of you done any paint spraying on your car? Any tips to pass on? Can you get a decent finish from spray...
A comprehensive guide on repairing leather car seats. If it's cracked, split or just worn it is possible to perform...
2013 Genesis Coupe. But you can do this with any car. So on Amazon I found some ver cheap LED lighting and picked...
My original blog post which has images. I finally finished replacing the clutch cable on my brothers pug106, it's...
hi guys. The fuel rail on my ep3 in making a clicking noise. And the engine management light came on. Don't know if...
I have a few bad scuffs on my alloys. I would consider trying to repair them myself. I would like advice on the best...
This is an article is primarily based on a 2002 VW Bora, but I've changed discs and pads on many a car down the...
Hi, This is my first post although i will do a newbie introduction shortly. I'm at the end of my tether and...
What you need to do an oil change. Here is a simple checklist of the items you will need to perform an oil change on...
Hi all, in my Corsa 1.2, the indicator is showing an irregular pattern, i have done the standard stuff EG. walk...
Hey guys thanks for looking. So guys my friend with a gti 180 is getting a new full exsaust system apart from the...
I want to remove my current tank as im caring too much fuel on track. My question is what do i need, Do i need a...
The normal 12 piont type will most likely slip and round off the corners of nuts/bolts especially if they are not in...
Ok so i plugged my pug 206 gti in to obd and it showed up coil bank 1 so ive sourced a coil pack off of a breaker on...
Hello all . Can anyone tell me if there is much diffrence between my 04 plate pug 206 gti and my friends 03 plate ...
This is my first time ever turboing a car my civic is 100% stock I just would like to get a good idea on what's a...
I want to reduce the thickness of my car's fibreglass body by grinding away the inner surface. Any idas of what...
hi guy`s im pumba from gwent lol im hoping for some advice. i have a 206 1.4 an is looking to convert it to a 2.0...
Just remove it from the car.:blink1:
Does anyone know if there are DIY (Do it Yourself) manuals for a Mitsubshi Lancer CE, it's an 03' GLi model! 4G93...
What is everyone using to track service completed on your cars and trucks? I want a product that is not an app.
Hello Ive a 407 2.0Hdi which just got absolutely coverd in bird dropping over last summer when I was away... now...
I am looking for a good platform to start out with. The VAG 1.8T is too expensive to ensure, so I am looking for a...
I have a Polo Vivo 1.4 and want to turbo charge it with a small turbo for some extra power. Can someone please...
hi all. does anyone know if the wiring and plugs are in the doors to put lecy windows into a mk 2 mondeo that...

Mrs

Hi I am building a Morris Minor with a Nissan 1400 drive train. I would appreciat some help with sinmple wireing...
Is there any tutorials or information where I can get guidance on replacing my car radio with an ipad.
Hi, Decided to get a full setup , so i can start doing my own repairs and also with a view to possibly in the...
hi if i bore out my air flow meter by few milimeters lets say 3. made by hitachi on my 1990 4.0l jag will it need...
What tips would you have for someone wanting to remove rust from their car? What would you do to fix surface...
hi just bought a part finished sylva jester but no build manual any one help thanks
Following some shocking examples of car control and road sense in my area and as requested by HDI fun here is a...
I'd like to give a shout out to these...
Hi, *Removed URL as per our T&C's* and i'm looking to turbo my 2 litre 406 coupe, i understand that there is...
Alrighty then.... Ive done a fair bit of spraying but nothing fancy, but was gonna have a stab at the mpv as it...
Hey guys, any custom painters out there? Heres the problem. I am a very accomplished sprayer in 2k solid, clear...
hi i have recently got myself a polo clssic 1.6 and on inspecting the engine bay have spied some devious little rust...
Has anyone attempted, or successfully made their own carbon fiber body panels? I came across a video of a guy making...
two questions, 1. what does the current and voltage waveform of distributor output in a conventional car look...