BIGENDS Help!!

Hello all,

My quiestion is: When an engine has been burnedout & has seized up, run without water or oil until the bigends start knocking...can it be fixed?

I was hoping that I could just bung a new crankshaft into it.

Any advise will be appreciated.

Hello all,

My quiestion is: When an engine has been burnedout & has seized up, run without water or oil until the bigends start knocking...can it be fixed?

I was hoping that I could just bung a new crankshaft into it.

Any advise will be appreciated.

?? Can it be fixed?? - Possibly yes, but at a significant price.

Overheating can distort the block itself which will lead to the pistons following 'unusual' routes in their journeys up and down the cyinder bores. This can destroy the main crank bearings along with the crank throw bearings. The oil starvation will also have scored the small end rod (piston) bearings and possibly camshaft and other top end rotating stuff additionally. Even the bores are likely to be damaged.

The only true way to determine the extent of damage is a full engine stripdown.

If it really has been run dry on oil and coolant I'd probably write off the whole lot without examination and source a whole engine.

When you say burned out do you mean 'fire damage' or being a numpty & doing 'burnouts' until the engine grenades it self?

In either case, I'd agree with HDi & source another engine. :amuse:

I mean thrashed until all the oil burns up & all the water steems out, then it starts sounding like a deisel & soon after that it seizes up.

Last edited:
Dieseling is sometimes used as a term for pre-ignition.

It looks like new engine time to me. If you've abused it to the degree you say there's no way it's an economic prospect for repair.

Towed my car back the other weak (the one I burned out), replaced the fluids & it fired strait up. It sounds fine & runs fine. Is this normal or do I have some sort of holy-blessed-space-age engine from the future?!?!?

When an engine has been let to run that far it is beyond repair. From your last post I am somewhat surprised, has it been allowed to warm up and to be put under load? If not then I doubt it will last long before it'll start knocking and rattling again.

I've been driving around in it for the last weak or so & it seems fine. No noise, no vibration, temprature normal, no power loss, no hesitation, naffinn. All I did was put water & oil in it & it fire up strait away.

On a completly unrelated subject, dous anybody know if a supra spoiler fits mk6 celica?