turbo advice to a non turbo engine, HELP!!!

Hi there, i have a mitsubishi galant 2.5 v6 2002 modle non turbo, i was wondering as i am deffo going to do it where would i get a twin turbo from, would one from a vr4 galant modle fit it?

and what would i have to do to the engine and everything else to make sure i dont Mess my engine up as i have read some articals about water pumps and the amount of air i can have in the engine but i am looking for the most amount of power i can get out of my v6 engine with a twin turbo without messsing my car up.

i have herd i would need bigger valves and bore out the cylinders and get bigger pistons to compensate for it, but what else?????

Last edited by a moderator:
you dont have to do all the writing in bold it does peoples eyes in
However
You engine may well be not suitable for turbo without major mods so its likely that the easiest way would be to get a complete VR4 turbo engine and ecu etc and just bolt it in.
If you are not going that route you will also need to redo the fueling and remap the ecu so thats another reason for the above suggestion

Problems will mainly be if your curent compression ratio is too high - turbos run lower compression ( well usually)

The "overboring to compensate" is only for when you are fitting a bigger turbo as more cc's will spool up the engine quicker.
Turbos will make the engine run hotter (hence the different model specs) so a decent intercooler will be needed. Again its best to duplicate ( or fit ) the VR4 system as it will fit without grief and you will have enough of that anyway

We get asked this question a lot so have a look at this thread which covers the basics. I have to admire your ambition though!:D And I hope you pull it off.

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f101/adding-turbo-nasp-engine-15003/
Cheap turbos can be purchased from breakers yards which are ideal for a try it and see type project.:bigsmile: As sleeper has said it would be a lot easier to just drop in a Turbo VR4 engine and will probably cost less.

Please note that I don't think it is worth adding a turbo to an old car with a small capacity engine. There is nothing stopping you but the money and hassle will just not be worth the power gain you get. It is better to just buy a better car for your tuning project.:confused:

Adding a turbo is a major engineering task and without a kit with full instructions and all the parts you need there is a big risk of blowing up the engine. Expect to spend 50 hours upwards on a project of this type.

This is not the sort of modification you should undertake unless you are mechanically competent and know what you are doing.

It is worth looking at superchargers as these are generally much easier to install than a turbo is.

Oky mate cheers, i cant really find many vr4 engines about as i like the 2002 modle the best and would rarther have a 2002 galant with a turbo engine in it. is there any other engines i could put in it easyer like for a evo or anything like that? and if i was to put a vr4 engine in it what else other thn the engine and wiring loom would i need?? or is tht all i would need?

I dont know specifically the details with your model but usually japanese manufacturers make the cars to take one of many engines . They dont change anything for the sake of it cos it costs them ££££££££s

The point is yours is a V6 so fitting any other engine configuration will mean mucho grief.
Its likely that the ecu will plug in - same engine type so probably same loom but different ecu
Re the capacity a v6 2,4 litre will take a turbo set up - there is one already made by mitsibishi for a start

Cheers for for your advice much appricated. If i got the vr4 model could i upgrade the twin tubro chargers in it without having to get the ratio's changed and other parts? cheers

I m not surewhat you mean by "ratios" gearing - fuel mix? I suspect its the latter

Any car with an ecu needs a new map or some way of changing/tuning the new fuelling requirements.
This will always be an issue if you do anything to significantly increase the performance . More power must have more fuel
This is especially true with bigger turbos.

Whether you need other parts will depend on what you do . You need specific advice from a mitsibishi tuner or try the vr4 forum .
As the VR4 is a sequential turbo system Im not sure how easy it will be to make them larger.

Plus if you upgrade to non standard turbos it will involve major work as the available bolt tubo parts you will need wont be any use and you will be starting from scratch.

Last edited:
The VR4 will AFAIK tolerate around 30% more power on the standard block which is quite impressive for an already powerful engine. Turbo upgrades are the way to go for this along with a remap. The easiest turbo upgrade would be a hybrid, using the standard housing.

Gearing is ok to leave and the box and clutch are already quite strong. A remap alone should push the standard cars power up 15-20% on the standard turbo.

Ideally you would want to alter the final drive ratio to get the most from a higher power band, but if you put on some larger wheels (18's or 19's) this will achieve a similar result at the price of worse handling.