Prince's BMW E36 318is Coupe

Hi all,

I bought this car quite a while ago. Originally I got the car as my Civic was involved in an accident and I needed something to get me from A to B, but wanted something that would hold it's value. I travelled to Peterborough one very snowy evening to check the car and it was fine (mechanically) so I lowered the seller to £1200 and drove it away that night. After owning the BMW for a while I decided to keep it instead of the Civic.

I've quietly started my project over the last month or so and decided to share it with everyone on here. It's not the most powerful car in the world but right now it fits the bill perfectly.

The previous owner's work wasn't the best so I have to correct scratches, rust and the awful back box. I've already had to replace a blown manifold (common problem on the M42 lump) and replace the clutch thanks to the release bearing. He did have some taste though as M3 rear lights have already been installed and the car has lowering springs (which will do for now). The car also had the full tool kit, torch, warning triangle and first aid kit.

My plans are:

Cosmetics
- M3 Body Kit
- AC Schnitzer Mirrors
- MTEC Mouldings
- BBS Style 5s (Summer Use)
- Smoothed Boot
- Lashings Of Carbon Fibre

Suspension
- HSD Coilovers (Fully Adjustable)
- X Brace
- Eibach Anti-Roll Bars
- Powerflex Purple Poly Bushes
- Front Upper Strut Brace
- Rear Upper Strut Brace

Power (Aiming for 160bhp+)
- Scorpion Exhaust
- Simota Carbon Fibre Induction Kit
- Big Bore Throttle Bodies
- Remap

Brakes
- Either a 330i conversion or an M3 conversion

Interior
- Honda Integra DC2 Type R Recaros
- Sport Headlining Conversion

In the future I will look into the possibility of a turbo or an engine conversion.

This is how it looked when I bought it:
DSCF0058.jpg

DSCF0062.jpg

DSCF0059.jpg

Obviously those awful eye brows had to come off, and that terrible M badge had to be removed.

So as soon as I had the time I removed them and gave it a clean:

E36_019.jpg

E36_007.jpg

E36_005.jpg

Last edited:
Good job well done mate,

That oil is good stuff mate, very similar to the stuff I use,

It's an Ester based fully synthetic, the best of the best high temp resistance.

Either that, Fuchs Titan Pro Race S, Redline is all good for that.

Good job well done mate,

That oil is good stuff mate, very similar to the stuff I use,

It's an Ester based fully synthetic, the best of the best high temp resistance.

Either that, Fuchs Titan Pro Race S, Redline is all good for that.

Thanks mate! I've got so much satifaction from doing the jobs myself (not to mention saving a few quid!). These are things I thought I should learn. It's all well and good spouting the theory but there are somethings we should all know how to do and once you've done them you realise how easy they are!

It was recommended to me as stuff used by a lot of racing teams. It's also fairly cheap in comparison to other oils as you can buy 5 litres (which is perfect for me as I needed 4 1/2 litres). It should also work well with the 'charger.

Another update! :eek:

I've been quietly refurbing some rims ready for winter and although I haven't finished I thought I would build some anticipation.

I bought some Style 32s (OEM BMW wheel) cheap with the intention of refurbing them Halfords DIY style.

They are 17 inch, ET41, 7.5J.

I did buy 4 wheels, but one was on the table during this photo.
E36_118.jpg

Fourth wheel. You can also see my Dad's miserable attempt at removing the tyre. Parents eh?
E36_119.jpg

From this.
E36_153.jpg

During sanding.
E36_119.jpg

Primered.
E36_154.jpg

Painted.
E36_155.jpg

I've completed 3 out of 4 so far as I've became lazy and played too much Fifa. I know they're not perfect, but I'm happy with them.

Comments welcome.

Looks good that does. What did he try and remove them with!? His teeth!?

Thanks mate. :D

That wouldn't have suprised me! I mentioned how I wasn't going to be using the tyres and wanted them gone. 5 seconds later he had attacked it with a knife and became determined to get it off. Obviously he failed (and was always going to fail).

Well.... tyres have steel belts in them so yes... they are very tough to chop up...

Id' say at this point you'd be better off just taking them to a tyre place and have them remove them..... if you nice they might do it for nought....

also that looks a good job on the first one but personally I would have do it without the tyres so I could do the whole wheel, ok granted that side is the only bit you really look at but I would do the complete wheel more for weather proofing and the like....

also on a seperate note.....

back to the subject ages ago about engines swaps......
What you want isn't a BMW 6.... you want a GM LS V8 of some description.....

http://www.vorshlag.com/index.php?cPath=1_4_63

that company has very kindly made a kit for the conversion part... all the fab work has been done for you, but you'd still need to do the wiring....

but I still need an engien you say....

well.... it just so happens that my mate work for a GM part depot that can get brand new create engines from the states straight from GM themselves, also I could swing a discount...they can get gearboxes also.... and second hand ones are fair cheap..

More power.... easy job :)

Update time!

My AC Schnitzer mirrors arrived back yesterday so I fitted them today.
E36_159.jpg

E36_160.jpg

Start by taking off the black trim that hides the bolts.
E36_161.jpg

There are now 3 bolts showing. You will need a 10mm socket for these. Disconnect the wiring as well.
E36_162.jpg

Once un-done, you will need to take the mirror off. It will still be held on by the black, round thing (in the middle of the picture). Poke this out towards the outside of the car and thread the wiring through.
E36_163.jpg

You will now be left with this.
E36_164.jpg

Installation is the opposite. You will have to hold the new mirror in place whilst you do up the first couple of bolts.

Newly painted ACS mirrors (with new badges).
E36_165.jpg

Comparision shot.
E36_166.jpg

Finished.
E36_167.jpg

Initial impressions are that visibility is reduced, but they look cool!

I also resprayed the spark plug cover that goes on the engine. I noticed when I was doing the plugs it was in need of a freshen up. I went with Cosmos black as I had some spare.

So I cleaned it up.
E36_143.jpg

Sanded it down.
E36_156.jpg

Primered it.
E36_157.jpg

Sprayed it.
E36_158.jpg

Comments welcome!

ACS mirrors lays down like an slap to the fools face! It looks great in my opinion!
About plug cover got nothing to say. It must be better in live view. On photos it looks old, but that is possibly due the photography not the real state.

All in all, I like your BMW a lot!

Last edited:
Mirrors look loads better, and the plug cover turned out nice, but I'd get the BMW done in white again.

Also did you give some more thought about an LS conversion ? ;) I'd lend a hand if you want... lol

ACS mirrors lays down like an slap to the fools face! It looks great in my opinion!
About plug cover got nothing to say. It must be better in live view. On photos it looks old, but that is possibly due the photography not the real state.

All in all, I like your BMW a lot!

Thanks mate! The plug cover is old. It was just a temporary solution as it was looking a bit tired.

Mirrors look loads better, and the plug cover turned out nice, but I'd get the BMW done in white again.

Also did you give some more thought about an LS conversion ? ;) I'd lend a hand if you want... lol

I was going to spray the 'BMW' in red, but decided I couldn't be bothered. I'm going to replace it with carbon fibre at some point so I just wanted to tidy it up.

I'm sure you would! :lol: It's tempting, but I'd never be able to afford maintenaince atm. A supercharger will have to do! :D

Maintainance isn't the problem, it is realatively cheap to maintain hence why people use them, its the actual fitting it in and getting it working.... when you've got some more money together then I'd definately do it, hell I was even looking at getting an E36 so I could have some american muscle, great car with a great engine...

You should always check any new plug gaps pre set or not

On NGKs doubly so because ngk iridiums are not model specific . Turbo engines for example tend to use a smaller gap than NA engines using the same plug.

Also those plugs are often used on skyline Turbo engines running normal boost
but when running a higher boost the gap is often smaller as well as going from 7s to 8s.

Nice build BTW

Whens the supercharger arriving!? :) Car is mint man! I love that type of shape.. more.. thrilling to look at! :)

Hi mate. Thanks for the kind comments! Supercharger has arrived and is in now in storage. I am currently saving for this...

GuagePod.jpg

AEM air fuel ratio and boost gauges, with a CA Automotive holder.

I'm also after a 328i LSD so I can have it rebuilt to a different ratio. Possibly 3.90.

I like this Prince, can those gauge holders be bought separately or are they specific to AEM gauges?

They are seperate mate. The holder is made by a company called CA Automotive (the same guys I got the 'charger through). It's made specifically for the E36 and means the gauges stay in sight at all times. I'm going to get it carbon'd up as well.

Lot's more needed to go with it though...

- A BBTB (big bore throttle body)
- ITG air intake + heat shield
- Some sort of remap

Other mods planned for next year...

- E46 330 front brake conversion
- E46 328 rear brake conversion
- Eibach ARBs with poly bushes
- Carbon, carbon, carbon!

Not a fan personally, look a bit "stick-on" imo but so do a lot of pillar pods so you can't win really unless you get the fibreglass and filler out.

Plans sounds great. What brakes are on the 330? Everyone always moans at how crap the brakes on the E46 M3 are so the 330 ones must be bad? I would go for proper 4 or 6 pots if I were you, the feel is so so so much better than single piston calipers from a driving point of view plus all the obvious performance benefits.

Not a fan personally, look a bit "stick-on" imo but so do a lot of pillar pods so you can't win really unless you get the fibreglass and filler out.

It's along these lines I was thinking for my own setup MA, possibly CF wrapped, but I shall do more research first. Actually not sure if I have seen any interior shots of Prince's car! :blink:

Cheers Prince, I'll have a look on the website later as I think this will work for me.

They're made specifically for the E36 mate. Not sure if it'll fit your Saab ;).

Plans sounds great. What brakes are on the 330? Everyone always moans at how crap the brakes on the E46 M3 are so the 330 ones must be bad? I would go for proper 4 or 6 pots if I were you, the feel is so so so much better than single piston calipers from a driving point of view plus all the obvious performance benefits.

You can get drilled and grooved discs in 330 size so I was thinking along those lines. I think the reason the E46 M3 brakes aren't great is because they are stopping a car with a lot more power. The 330 brakes should be adequate for the power I'm aiming at (they're pretty much the same size as the E36 M3, in fact they are bigger but not as thick). I'm not sure what calipers I can use with them yet though. I know the 7 and 8 series used 4 pot calipers but require extra work to fit. The 330 brakes are bolt on. Porsche Carrera brakes can also be made to fit. Alternatively I can just order a BBK from somewhere.

It's along these lines I was thinking for my own setup MA, possibly CF wrapped, but I shall do more research first. Actually not sure if I have seen any interior shots of Prince's car! :blink:

Tbh mate the interior is pretty much standard except the Recaros. The interior is usually the last place to get any money spent on it. If I remember I'l take a few shots just for you mate. ;)

Just a quick update. Luckily whilst at a BMW meet last Sunday somebody took a couple pictures of my car so I can show you winter mode! Pictures courtesy of Martyn D @ BFUK.

IMG_2445.jpg

IMG_2446.jpg

Comments welcome.

What no scantily clad maidens draped all over your BM this time? :sad2:
I am terribly disappointed in you Prince; despite this oversight from you, it's still a great looking car :)

What no scantily clad maidens draped all over your BM this time? :sad2:
I am terribly disappointed in you Prince; despite this oversight from you, it's still a great looking car :)

:lol:

Thanks mate! Car parks can be hazardous (and by that I mean if the missus is with me) with woman just draping themselves over the bonnet :lol:.

:lol:

Thanks mate! Car parks can be hazardous (and by that I mean if the missus is with me) with woman just draping themselves over the bonnet :lol:.

Well... at least they throw them selves on your car. Sounds like a good excuse if you run some one over....

Good looking car btw! What's happening with the supercharger?

Well... at least they throw them selves on your car. Sounds like a good excuse if you run some one over....

Good looking car btw! What's happening with the supercharger?

I'm stockpiling a few parts ready for the installation. I need a boost gauge and an air fuel ratio gauge. I've already found them, but they're not cheap! That's the minimum requirement before I call fit it. However, whilst I'm there I want to uprate a few more other bits. BBTB, different intake and a heatshield and a few rubber hoses that are better than BMWs attempt. I'm thinking late March.

Nice polishing job....also me like your black winter alloys! :)

Thanks dude! Always appreciated :D.

Thanks dude! Always appreciated :D.

Nah....Thank you for nice build thread! TBH, can't wait the turbo chime into equation! :p
Hope all works will be smoth and without unpredicted obstacles.....darn, what a bimer that will be!!!:love:

Last edited:
Looks bang-tidy.

Having a wideband lambda in exhaust then yeah? As you probably know narrow-band are fairly poo for a gauge...

Explain please. :embarrest:

I was going to change the exhaust for a 2 1/2 inch one, instead of the 2 1/4 inch that's currently on. But the AFR gauge will be linked to the MAF.

MAF? Sensor for AFR gauge needs to go in the exhaust. Just have an extra bung welded in. Getting a Uego?

Mass Air Flow sensor (part of the air intake). This seems to be where others have installed the AFR gauge.

Uego?

Just to now clarify. MA is 100% correct. The AFR gauge will be linked to the lambda. I did some research into it today and even spoke with a mate of mine. I may also change the lambda for a wideband one as well.