Prince's BMW E36 318is Coupe

Hi all,

I bought this car quite a while ago. Originally I got the car as my Civic was involved in an accident and I needed something to get me from A to B, but wanted something that would hold it's value. I travelled to Peterborough one very snowy evening to check the car and it was fine (mechanically) so I lowered the seller to £1200 and drove it away that night. After owning the BMW for a while I decided to keep it instead of the Civic.

I've quietly started my project over the last month or so and decided to share it with everyone on here. It's not the most powerful car in the world but right now it fits the bill perfectly.

The previous owner's work wasn't the best so I have to correct scratches, rust and the awful back box. I've already had to replace a blown manifold (common problem on the M42 lump) and replace the clutch thanks to the release bearing. He did have some taste though as M3 rear lights have already been installed and the car has lowering springs (which will do for now). The car also had the full tool kit, torch, warning triangle and first aid kit.

My plans are:

Cosmetics
- M3 Body Kit
- AC Schnitzer Mirrors
- MTEC Mouldings
- BBS Style 5s (Summer Use)
- Smoothed Boot
- Lashings Of Carbon Fibre

Suspension
- HSD Coilovers (Fully Adjustable)
- X Brace
- Eibach Anti-Roll Bars
- Powerflex Purple Poly Bushes
- Front Upper Strut Brace
- Rear Upper Strut Brace

Power (Aiming for 160bhp+)
- Scorpion Exhaust
- Simota Carbon Fibre Induction Kit
- Big Bore Throttle Bodies
- Remap

Brakes
- Either a 330i conversion or an M3 conversion

Interior
- Honda Integra DC2 Type R Recaros
- Sport Headlining Conversion

In the future I will look into the possibility of a turbo or an engine conversion.

This is how it looked when I bought it:
DSCF0058.jpg

DSCF0062.jpg

DSCF0059.jpg

Obviously those awful eye brows had to come off, and that terrible M badge had to be removed.

So as soon as I had the time I removed them and gave it a clean:

E36_019.jpg

E36_007.jpg

E36_005.jpg

Last edited:
It still looks good though, mate of mine recently bought an e46 325i sport cabbie with an eienmann pipe and it sounds awesome, what engine have you got to put in?

I'm considering one of two options atm...

Option 1 is an M52 (2.8). This will give me around 220bhp and over 210 ib-ft of torque.

Option 2 is to supercharge my M42 (1.8). This will also give me around 220bhp but torque figures are unknown yet. I'm currently waiting to see the dyno figures of another 318is that has gone through this build.

There are benefits to both but what I want is affordable power. The main benefit of the engine conversion is the cost. I can get a donor car, rip it apart and do the conversion for a decent price. The benefits to the supercharger are that it should retain the affordability of the 1.8 (i.e. MPG) and hopefully hit the same kind of torque and power figures.

Both engines will still get the usual BBTBs, induction, exhaust, remap treatment.

I do like the engine I currently have. It's in good condition and once it's going it's perfect for what I use it for now. The only problem I have with it is the acceleration. I think once I get onto a track it won't be enough.

At this stage I need to do more research, especially into the costs.

Fair enough mate, is a lot to consider, I would personally go for the big engine option as in te future you may want more power then you have a really good tuning base as the m52's are strong

Fair enough mate, is a lot to consider, I would personally go for the big engine option as in te future you may want more power then you have a really good tuning base as the m52's are strong

That's true mate, however if I want to go for serious power then I'd go with an S50B32 (M3 Evo 3.2) and then turbo/supercharge it. The bottom line on this will be cost. It has to be affordable to actually do, insure (to a degree), run and maintain.

It's not too far mate. A couple hours worth of driving. I think there is camping on the Saturday night but I'll be going Sunday morning. It is a decent show with lots to see (not too many BMWs though). You should get yourself to Gaydon on August 14th mate.

i work saturdays at the moment so id have to leave early on the sunday morning, deffinatly thinking about it tho, excuse my noviceness but whats gaydon?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's true mate, however if I want to go for serious power then I'd go with an S50B32 (M3 Evo 3.2) and then turbo/supercharge it. The bottom line on this will be cost. It has to be affordable to actually do, insure (to a degree), run and maintain.

hat is true but I dare say they cost loads more than the M52, .

I'm not into high revving engines myself, I like a nice wide torque band.

Have you not considered an engine conversion to an engine that wasn't originally used in your car? Like an M62?, I know it's easy to say "If you want a 328i then buy one" but there is a degree of sence, if you convert to an M52 instead of buying a 328 or even the M3, the insurance on the standard car will be lower, at least if you convert to a engine that wasn't ment for the car then you can only make it rather than buy it....

Just my thoughts really, I would say in your case then, either keep the standard engine or go for something like the M62.

Sorry if I sound harsh but that's the way I look at things, I try and be logical about things.....

I'm currently in the process of putting a 2.1 XUD11 in my car, 306's didn't come with them from the factory so I got to make it, if I wanted a GTi6 I would just buy one instead of going though the trouble of turning my car into one.

There are exceptions to my "rules" though, if you have spent a shed loads of money on this car on the chassis and uprgading other stuff that would be too much hassle to transfer then putting the engine out of another 3 is ok,

So really then the answer is to supercharge your current engine then upgrade to a monster engine when you want more power...

hat is true but I dare say they cost loads more than the M52, .

I'm not into high revving engines myself, I like a nice wide torque band.

Have you not considered an engine conversion to an engine that wasn't originally used in your car? Like an M62?, I know it's easy to say "If you want a 328i then buy one" but there is a degree of sence, if you convert to an M52 instead of buying a 328 or even the M3, the insurance on the standard car will be lower, at least if you convert to a engine that wasn't ment for the car then you can only make it rather than buy it....

Just my thoughts really, I would say in your case then, either keep the standard engine or go for something like the M62.

Sorry if I sound harsh but that's the way I look at things, I try and be logical about things.....

I'm currently in the process of putting a 2.1 XUD11 in my car, 306's didn't come with them from the factory so I got to make it, if I wanted a GTi6 I would just buy one instead of going though the trouble of turning my car into one.

There are exceptions to my "rules" though, if you have spent a shed loads of money on this car on the chassis and uprgading other stuff that would be too much hassle to transfer then putting the engine out of another 3 is ok,

So really then the answer is to supercharge your current engine then upgrade to a monster engine when you want more power...

I did really think hard about selling my car and just buying a 328i. But after really thinking about it I decided I can build a better car with what I've got already than starting again. I know everything that's wrong with my car and I know what's been replaced and upgraded.

I had thought about the insurance too but tbh if I was concerned about it then I wouldn't modify the car in the first place.

I became quite used to a high revving engine from my Honda days so I still kind of like it. I do want more torque though as I want to alter the acceleration.

I looked into V8 conversions but they're so fiddly with an E36 it's not really worth the hassle when I achieve the same power from other engines (although the burble would be nice lol).

I'm waiting to see what kind of figures it produces on a 318is I know of. The guy has recently done it is going to RR it and remap it. I'm meeting the guy in August to have a good look at the setup as well.

All the information about it is here. I'd appreciate your input on this one mate if you wouldn't mind, as you know more about these things than I do.

The only problem is then finding an LSD to go with it. The 318is uses a small case whilst the 323/325/328i and M3 use a medium case and the M3 Evo uses a large case. I don't want to ruin the ratios by fitting thw wrong one.

Thats fair enough mate, I do complete understand where you are coming from there :) You know your car and there no point buy another one with another load of other problems,

As for the supercharger, I will read the info on the link you have posted then I'll post back with my thoughts, as for the diff thing, do you know what all the gear ratios of all the boxes? I know it's a lot of information to find and what not but then we can come to some solution with it better then we can choose a diff. Didn't only the M3's come with the LSD fitted? Quaife might be worth a look but they do cost a bit, I'll have a look around for after market options.

Right I have read it and it looks good but I theres a couple of things I'd like to comment...
The system is rather good, it uses a roots charger which for what you want is better than a centrifugal design, it will be like driving a car with a bigger engine rather than having a peaky power delivery.

I'll quote from the text on the page:

The stock fuel injection system is used unchanged save for a DowningAtlanta-designed "downstream" fuel pressure regulator
that is boost sensitive. No chip, EPROM, or other electronic changes are necessary - an important reliability point our engineers were careful to adhere to.
In a way this is good then you can retain the factory dianostics and also brings the cost down, putting the throttle on the inlet of the supercharger is also good because the ECU still thinks it's a NA engine because it still creates negative pressure across the MAP sensor which it was ment to read rather than positive then the ECU will run the engine lean. Rising rate pressure regulator is a must but I would still consider a custom map to smooth everything out and possibly look at some larger injectors. Also the use of Super Juice is a must....

"We use the world-renown Eaton supercharger for its superior quality, low noise levels, and superb output characteristics. In fact, we are the only company approved by Eaton to engineer and design aftermarket kits for many applications, of which our BMW kit is one"
I don't see how this works, how to become "approved" to make aftermarket kits by Eaton... Erm.... by buying there products from them and doing what you like with them? Everyone else who uses them does....

"We relocate your throttle upstream of the supercharger. We have the only kits on the market with this sophisticated feature combined with the bypass system"
Every company making supercharger kits does a bypass system also so another false claim

"It is not a stretch to state that the Eaton supercharger in our application acts as a sort of intercooler itself"
Intercooler cooler you say? "Our kit only increases the intake charge air by 69 degrees"Hmmmmm... not heard of one increasing the charge temps, total contradiction.

Something else to note, the system uses an Eaton M62 which is generally used on larger engines than 1.8's. It's not a bad thing at all must be the best one for this engine.

In short the system looks of good design but the guy who wrote that page doesn't know what he's talking about....

Thats fair enough mate, I do complete understand where you are coming from there :) You know your car and there no point buy another one with another load of other problems,

As for the supercharger, I will read the info on the link you have posted then I'll post back with my thoughts, as for the diff thing, do you know what all the gear ratios of all the boxes? I know it's a lot of information to find and what not but then we can come to some solution with it better then we can choose a diff. Didn't only the M3's come with the LSD fitted? Quaife might be worth a look but they do cost a bit, I'll have a look around for after market options.

I can't remember the ratios off the top of my head. I do know that fitting ratios from say a 328 will make it accelerate slower though. The 328i Sport came with an LSD but not on every model as they changed the design.

Right I have read it and it looks good but I theres a couple of things I'd like to comment...
The system is rather good, it uses a roots charger which for what you want is better than a centrifugal design, it will be like driving a car with a bigger engine rather than having a peaky power delivery.

I'll quote from the text on the page:

The stock fuel injection system is used unchanged save for a DowningAtlanta-designed "downstream" fuel pressure regulator
that is boost sensitive. No chip, EPROM, or other electronic changes are necessary - an important reliability point our engineers were careful to adhere to.
In a way this is good then you can retain the factory dianostics and also brings the cost down, putting the throttle on the inlet of the supercharger is also good because the ECU still thinks it's a NA engine because it still creates negative pressure across the MAP sensor which it was ment to read rather than positive then the ECU will run the engine lean. Rising rate pressure regulator is a must but I would still consider a custom map to smooth everything out and possibly look at some larger injectors. Also the use of Super Juice is a must....

"We use the world-renown Eaton supercharger for its superior quality, low noise levels, and superb output characteristics. In fact, we are the only company approved by Eaton to engineer and design aftermarket kits for many applications, of which our BMW kit is one"
I don't see how this works, how to become "approved" to make aftermarket kits by Eaton... Erm.... by buying there products from them and doing what you like with them? Everyone else who uses them does....

"We relocate your throttle upstream of the supercharger. We have the only kits on the market with this sophisticated feature combined with the bypass system"
Every company making supercharger kits does a bypass system also so another false claim

"It is not a stretch to state that the Eaton supercharger in our application acts as a sort of intercooler itself"
Intercooler cooler you say? "Our kit only increases the intake charge air by 69 degrees"Hmmmmm... not heard of one increasing the charge temps, total contradiction.

Something else to note, the system uses an Eaton M62 which is generally used on larger engines than 1.8's. It's not a bad thing at all must be the best one for this engine.

In short the system looks of good design but the guy who wrote that page doesn't know what he's talking about....

Many thanks for that mate! I've already read about uprating the pulley and the possibility of larger injectors. But what injectors is another thing?

I only ever use 'super juice' even now. It's more expensive for a reason!

My basic understanding is that the more you open the throttle, the boost it gives you. I also understand that the temperature it rises by isn't actually that much is comparison to say a turbo. Which is why the standard cooling system copes fine.

A custom remap is a good idea too. Is there anything else that can be done whilst fitting the supercharger to take full advantage? I already thought of replacing the air intake with something enclosed. Larger exhaust maybe?

What size diameter piping is that scorpian you have on there? I wouldn't go for any bigger than 2.5" anything else then you may loose some torque, sports cat would be a good addition, but I wouldn't change you exhaust manifold unless its really restrictive,

as for the intake, a better one would be a good upgrade, maybe something off an M3, an uprated one for it that is....

If your going for a smaller supercharger pulley then some form of intercooling will be required, water/meths would be the best way so you don't need to take the supercharger off the intake manifold.

What size diameter piping is that scorpian you have on there? I wouldn't go for any bigger than 2.5" anything else then you may loose some torque, sports cat would be a good addition, but I wouldn't change you exhaust manifold unless its really restrictive,

as for the intake, a better one would be a good upgrade, maybe something off an M3, an uprated one for it that is....

If your going for a smaller supercharger pulley then some form of intercooling will be required, water/meths would be the best way so you don't need to take the supercharger off the intake manifold.

The Scorpion I have is 2 1/4 inches in diameter. The exhaust manifold is a very good design from the factory. So much so that so s/s alternatives were ever made!

I actually thought an intake designed for the 318is and then modified to fit would be a good option.

Also, my current diff has a 3.45 ratio and a small case. Would a replacement LSD in a small case handle the extra power?

i like those rims :amuse:

Thanks mate!

2 1/4 should be ok at this level of tune, also as for the intake a normal 318is one should be fine, an m3 one may still fit though and still worth a look,

as for the diff, it's not the power that's the worry it's the torque, by the looks of things I reckon it will be no more than 200 lbft or torque with the supercharger at that boost level which i reckon the diff should be able to handle, hell my old crusty 306's diff and gerabox can cope with over 300 lbft of diesel brutality.....

I had a look at a Quaife ATB diff for you and it isn't cheap, your looking at over £700 just for the diff....

Thanks for that mate! That is quite pricy. I've also seen this one advertised that retains the standard ratio, it's also a small case: LSD.

What kind of weight difference is there between the LSDs (as in medium vs small etc and not forgetting any components that join)?

Also, I've read that the pulley to change to is 3.4" and apparently produces 10psi. I hope that makes sense to you as it doesn't to me!

Sorry just read all your stuff, if that is a genuine LSD then yes it will be worth going for, just check with the seller if the plates/clutches are in good condition and have plently of life left in them, ATB LSD's are still a good option as they use gears and will never need maintainace.... I would reckon it would be a straight fit because it's a factory LSD it would seem pointless have to different driveshafts for it, weight should be a consern as the benefits of an LSD far out way it's slight (and I do mean slight) weight gain.

With supercharger pulleys the smaller the pulley then the more boost pressure will be produced, because the rotors (in a roots charger) will be spinning at a higher rpm. If you do want to run 10 psi I would then consider a custom map and water/meths injection or another form of intercooling to save yoru engine from pre detonation, especially on the standard compression ratio. I need to do some more research on your engine and supercharger to see what kind of volumetric efficiency it is standard and then I can plot some points on a compressor map for you. (Of the eaton charger and a few other turbos etc so you get the idea....)

Is this still not very quick?

Just kidding lol. In general, a 200bhp 200ftlb 2.5ltr N/A motor will be quicker than a 200bhp 200ftlb 1.8 turbo motor due to having a broader spread of power and torque so that's something to bear in mind.

Is your engine the M44B19 or M42B18?

M42B18.

Thanks for the help mate. I really appreciate it! :D

I've also found out more since my last post after chatting with guys in the US that have done.

Meth injection is an easier install and it required at 15psi. The pulley size for this is 3.2. I plan to use a 3.4 which should run at 10psi. I've also found out that the MAF from an M3 will help the air flow a lot. I also need to look for bigger injectors. I've been told 30# injectors (which makes no sense to me tbh). Obviously a custom map will be needed once installation has been complete.

Is this still not very quick?

Just kidding lol. In general, a 200bhp 200ftlb 2.5ltr N/A motor will be quicker than a 200bhp 200ftlb 1.8 turbo motor due to having a broader spread of power and torque so that's something to bear in mind.

Haha! It will be when I'm done. The 1.8 supercharged will allow me to (in theory) just change the pulley and custom map for more power. These superchargers can run crazy figures if required. Personally I'm trying to keep things affordable for now. Once complete it will be more powerful and lighter.

Sorry I missed you mate. I wanted to get home to watch United kick off.

I had to listen to the Hammers on the radio scrape a win against Doncaster Rovers for goodness sake :embarrest:
I think they should change their name from the 'Hammers' to the 'Candy flosses'!

Looks for someone smaller than him to beat up first and then sulk in the corner! :sad2:

I had to listen to the Hammers on the radio scrape a win against Doncaster Rovers for goodness sake :embarrest:
I think they should change their name from the 'Hammers' to the 'Candy flosses'!

Looks for someone smaller than him to beat up first and then sulk in the corner! :sad2:

3 points is 3 points mate. United didn't exactly crush West Brom. I do think Big Sam Allardyce is a good manager though. Just don't expect them to bounce straight back.

P.S. Small update due tomorrow when I can be bothered to take pictures!

Small Update.

I picked up these at a decent price from eBay. They'll be fitted sometime in September.

Genuine AC Schnitzer mirrors!

E36_103.jpg

E36_104.jpg

Test Fitted.

E36_105.jpg

I also got this at BMW Festival last Sunday.

E36_106.jpg

E36_107.jpg

E36_108.jpg

This is possibly 1 of 2 in the UK!

Last edited:
Geniune carbon fibre? That is UNREAL!

What's under the cover across t'road? :D

Genuine carbon fibre wrapped over the mirror. I can't remember tbh mate, iirc it's an old Toyota, nothing special, nothing classic. He just covered it up one day and never drove it again.

hahaha MA !!!

Going really well prince fair dos mate.

Thanks mate.

That looks the absolute business Prince, I have already sent off my wing mirror covers to be CF wrapped. :)
The small rectangular lens on your wing mirrors, are they indicators or sidelights?

That looks the absolute business Prince, I have already sent off my wing mirror covers to be CF wrapped. :)
The small rectangular lens on your wing mirrors, are they indicators or sidelights?

Thanks mate. I've never seen another one and I've already got a good few positive comments on it. It's also an auto-dimming one so I may have to retro-fit the loom.

It's an AC Schnitzer badge. I think once the mirrors are red it'll be less noticeable.

Holy Moly! :amazed: my eyes have started to work again :bigsmile:

Might have to trade the old girl in for a BMW me thinks! :blink:

Saab's only ever attract grannies with large woolly jumpers on :lol: