Prince's BMW E36 318is Coupe

Hi all,

I bought this car quite a while ago. Originally I got the car as my Civic was involved in an accident and I needed something to get me from A to B, but wanted something that would hold it's value. I travelled to Peterborough one very snowy evening to check the car and it was fine (mechanically) so I lowered the seller to £1200 and drove it away that night. After owning the BMW for a while I decided to keep it instead of the Civic.

I've quietly started my project over the last month or so and decided to share it with everyone on here. It's not the most powerful car in the world but right now it fits the bill perfectly.

The previous owner's work wasn't the best so I have to correct scratches, rust and the awful back box. I've already had to replace a blown manifold (common problem on the M42 lump) and replace the clutch thanks to the release bearing. He did have some taste though as M3 rear lights have already been installed and the car has lowering springs (which will do for now). The car also had the full tool kit, torch, warning triangle and first aid kit.

My plans are:

Cosmetics
- M3 Body Kit
- AC Schnitzer Mirrors
- MTEC Mouldings
- BBS Style 5s (Summer Use)
- Smoothed Boot
- Lashings Of Carbon Fibre

Suspension
- HSD Coilovers (Fully Adjustable)
- X Brace
- Eibach Anti-Roll Bars
- Powerflex Purple Poly Bushes
- Front Upper Strut Brace
- Rear Upper Strut Brace

Power (Aiming for 160bhp+)
- Scorpion Exhaust
- Simota Carbon Fibre Induction Kit
- Big Bore Throttle Bodies
- Remap

Brakes
- Either a 330i conversion or an M3 conversion

Interior
- Honda Integra DC2 Type R Recaros
- Sport Headlining Conversion

In the future I will look into the possibility of a turbo or an engine conversion.

This is how it looked when I bought it:
DSCF0058.jpg

DSCF0062.jpg

DSCF0059.jpg

Obviously those awful eye brows had to come off, and that terrible M badge had to be removed.

So as soon as I had the time I removed them and gave it a clean:

E36_019.jpg

E36_007.jpg

E36_005.jpg

Last edited:
I cannot believe what I have just read :amazed: That could not have been an easy decision to make Prince, especially after all your efforts getting it to look just so. I wish you the very best of luck with your next project, whatever it may be :)

It wasn't an easy decision but I've been thinking about it now since around December. Then it became more serious over the last couple of months. I discussed with the missus and various mates and it made sense that now was the right time to move on.

The next car is likely to be Japanese and should provide me with a very interesting project.

Hi Prince, my mate! Sad to hear you're selling your gorgeus coupe... But the night is most dark right before dawn - did you say..... something Japanese with big turbo and AWD perhaps ;) ?

Whoah! Nice!
I mean the beemar is really good car, espacially after your twiking and moding, but this should be another dimension. Looking forward to follow threads about new project car.

Yeah it was mine PG. Have you been looking for one or did you check out my links via facebook?

It ended around 10 minutes ago, with 93 watchers and over 4000 views over 10 days. Nobody has yet bought it although I've had a few messages about it and should find out tomorrow.

Fingers crossed!

It'll be a Nissan.

Laugh if you bought a Prius... ;)

Why Nissan? What about a Honda? EP3, EK9 or an Integra DC5!? All pretty good cars to be honest. A friend of mine has just bought an EK9 and done a few bits to it and the Vtec crossover is mental.

He's already done the whole Honda thing...

I think it's a crying shame that he's moveing from an E36 to a jap tin can.... well that said the only Nissan/jap car that I would ever buy would be a 350Z or possibly an R32...but seriously mate..... why?

Laugh if you bought a Prius... ;)

Why Nissan? What about a Honda? EP3, EK9 or an Integra DC5!? All pretty good cars to be honest. A friend of mine has just bought an EK9 and done a few bits to it and the Vtec crossover is mental.

The simple answer is mate that they're FWD. Imo RWD is far superior and I'm wanting a more powerful car. Both of those suggestions would be less power than I'm running now in a less capable car.

He's already done the whole Honda thing...

I think it's a crying shame that he's moveing from an E36 to a jap tin can.... well that said the only Nissan/jap car that I would ever buy would be a 350Z or possibly an R32...but seriously mate..... why?

Boredom and power. You haven't spent the last 3 years in the BMW scene which unfortunately becomes boring when everyone does exactly the same thing. You get rewarded more for stance than performance which gets pretty annoying.

It's time for a new project.

Wow prince, quite a surprise, got me all curious now, looking forward to see what you end up with, best of the best to ya matey.

Boredom and power. You haven't spent the last 3 years in the BMW scene which unfortunately becomes boring when everyone does exactly the same thing. You get rewarded more for stance than performance which gets pretty annoying.

It's time for a new project.

No arguments with that then mate. Which ever you decide, I'm sure it will be awesome! :)

Don't mean to be nosey, but curious as how much the BMW went for?

Either a 200 of some sort or a Skyline?

The only Skylines I like are out my price range. It would have to be a GTR. I don't like R33s, I don't have £25k for an R34 and mint R32s aren't easy to come by.

I was offered an R32 GTT as a swap but turned it down.

So that leaves me with the 200sx, and to be more specific either an S13, S14 or S14a (S15s are too expensive).

Just one question Prince, now with the BM you never had any trouble getting a scantily clad maiden or two to drape themselves over your car while you took photos - does the 200sx have the same desired effect? :blink:

My Saab only ever attracts very mature ladies with colourful hand knitted jumpers and with a membership to the Womens Institute :embarrest:

I was always envious of some of your photos - you lucky devil :)

For some reason I always took a liking to the S13.
That or the 14a for me.

Tbh it'll most likely be an S14a as an S13 would have to pretty special.

I'd like the s15 with the s14 nose or front bits, now that would be stupid sexy.

Funnily enough most that do the 14.5 conversion put the S15 front end on.

Just one question Prince, now with the BM you never had any trouble getting a scantily clad maiden or two to drape themselves over your car while you took photos - does the 200sx have the same desired effect? :blink:

My Saab only ever attracts very mature ladies with colourful hand knitted jumpers and with a membership to the Womens Institute :embarrest:

I was always envious of some of your photos - you lucky devil :)

:lol:

A Nissan badge certainly doesn't get women giving you that look you get when you say you have a BMW. But tbh it isn't the most important criteria.

Hahaha! What ever gets the job done mate. ;)

I was envious of the car mate!

Not meaning to butt in where I'm not wanted, but when you said Nissan, I couldn't help but think of a gently used 510. These cars are very reliable and quick, with RWD and IRS, which you like.
Perhaps one like this one:
8619670219_d1d5193335.jpg
[/url]
datsun-510-chevy2 by helphos, on Flickr[/IMG]

8619669685_e45ebf33b3.jpg
[/url]
datsun-510-Chevy1 by helphos, on Flickr[/IMG]
and there's room for the missus and the kids!

when i was looking for my next car i couldnt decide between a 200sx or gt4 with went with 4wd as i think i would always be sideways in the 200sx