Prince's BMW E36 318is Coupe

Hi all,

I bought this car quite a while ago. Originally I got the car as my Civic was involved in an accident and I needed something to get me from A to B, but wanted something that would hold it's value. I travelled to Peterborough one very snowy evening to check the car and it was fine (mechanically) so I lowered the seller to £1200 and drove it away that night. After owning the BMW for a while I decided to keep it instead of the Civic.

I've quietly started my project over the last month or so and decided to share it with everyone on here. It's not the most powerful car in the world but right now it fits the bill perfectly.

The previous owner's work wasn't the best so I have to correct scratches, rust and the awful back box. I've already had to replace a blown manifold (common problem on the M42 lump) and replace the clutch thanks to the release bearing. He did have some taste though as M3 rear lights have already been installed and the car has lowering springs (which will do for now). The car also had the full tool kit, torch, warning triangle and first aid kit.

My plans are:

Cosmetics
- M3 Body Kit
- AC Schnitzer Mirrors
- MTEC Mouldings
- BBS Style 5s (Summer Use)
- Smoothed Boot
- Lashings Of Carbon Fibre

Suspension
- HSD Coilovers (Fully Adjustable)
- X Brace
- Eibach Anti-Roll Bars
- Powerflex Purple Poly Bushes
- Front Upper Strut Brace
- Rear Upper Strut Brace

Power (Aiming for 160bhp+)
- Scorpion Exhaust
- Simota Carbon Fibre Induction Kit
- Big Bore Throttle Bodies
- Remap

Brakes
- Either a 330i conversion or an M3 conversion

Interior
- Honda Integra DC2 Type R Recaros
- Sport Headlining Conversion

In the future I will look into the possibility of a turbo or an engine conversion.

This is how it looked when I bought it:
DSCF0058.jpg

DSCF0062.jpg

DSCF0059.jpg

Obviously those awful eye brows had to come off, and that terrible M badge had to be removed.

So as soon as I had the time I removed them and gave it a clean:

E36_019.jpg

E36_007.jpg

E36_005.jpg

Last edited:
yup if your trying to get them to fit under the arch then you would need to decrease them. increasing them from 10 to 20 will mean they are sticking out 10mm more

The lower the number the more they stick out. The rims are currently ET10 and I need them to be ET20. That tucks them in further.

So 10mm is that? is there that much meat on the wheels?

Also why not turbocharge your current engine? Would be easy to do and loads of power could be had. I believe the "is" is 140 standard?

So 10mm is that? is there that much meat on the wheels?

Also why not turbocharge your current engine? Would be easy to do and loads of power could be had. I believe the "is" is 140 standard?

They're huge! They have such a low offset and the back of the faces have a lot of meat. I actually delivered them to Reading today to meet the lucky guy that gets to machine them for me. Through fear of trashing the spigot on the inside (meaning it won't sit right) he is going to take 8mm off. That'll mean ET18 (which is still quite low).

The turbo idea is definitely an option (and different to the 6 pot conversion). I've seen a few example and they look good and apparently perform very well. I'd assume this is due to the extra power but the lighter 4 pot.

You're also spot on. The M42 and M44 engines produce 140bhp.

Would love to see the pics of this particular mod when it's finished Prince.

I can't wait to have them back! I'm currently rolling on 17s at the front and 15s on the rear!

The coilovers are even fitted as well but I can't wind them down until I get the rear wheels back.

Updates will be asap.

Interesting build this. although i never understand when people say they cant afford the higher model, then buy a lower model and modify it, which 9 times out of 10 costs more to insure! ie, a modified 318i generally costs more to insure than a 325/328. Im assuming your telling the insurance company about the mods of course....

But that aside, she looks like a very nice example, and glad to see your keeping her OEM+, BMW's with aftermarket bodykits and chrome 20" wheels make me want to seriously injure their owners!

looking forward to updates

Interesting build this. although i never understand when people say they cant afford the higher model, then buy a lower model and modify it, which 9 times out of 10 costs more to insure! ie, a modified 318i generally costs more to insure than a 325/328. Im assuming your telling the insurance company about the mods of course....

But that aside, she looks like a very nice example, and glad to see your keeping her OEM+, BMW's with aftermarket bodykits and chrome 20" wheels make me want to seriously injure their owners!

looking forward to updates

I do my best to keep everything legitimate buddy!

It's not just the insurance I can't afford. It's general maintenaince and running costs. Although I dare I will drop a bigger engine into the bay at some point!

OEM+ is the way forward with BMWs. I'm not a fan of the bodykit and chrome 20s either!

Make it a turbo 4, much cheaper and less hassle and lighter and most importantly, different!

It's actually a lot more expensive to do, but it is a definite option. I like the idea of dialing down the boost for daily driving, and then increasing the boost for track days.

i like it definitely better without spoiler. i'm more a 'intel inside, good ol' standard outside' person;)

Thanks buddy!

Update time!

Last week I travelled down to Redish Motorsport in Bristol to have the following work done:

- Powerflex front control arm bushes
- Powerflex rear beam mounting bushes front and rear
- Powerflex rear trailing arm bushes
- X-Brace fitting
- Coilover adjustment for castor, camber and then height

The height I could have figured out myself, but as they were adjusting the castor and camber I thought they may as well do the height too.

Picture time!

IMG_7421640x480.jpg

The original bushes were rather perished.

IMG_7430640x480.jpg

IMG_7445640x480.jpg

New bushes.

IMG_7448640x480.jpg

IMG_7497640x480.jpg

This shows the X-Brace fitted as well.

IMG_7543640x480.jpg

Braided brake hose.

IMG_7508640x480.jpg

HSD coilovers.

IMG_7550640x480.jpg

Top mount (both castor and camber adjustable)

IMG_7554640x480.jpg

Outside Redish Motorsport.

IMG_7573640x480.jpg

At Performance Race Modified 2011.

PTM_01.jpg

PTM_04.jpg

You can really see the rear camber in this picture.

PTM_05.jpg

PTM_06.jpg

The difference is huge! It handles very well. It corners brilliantly and is very steady at high speed. Despite how low it is, it does not scrape on speed bumps as well.

Couple of my mates really rate the HSD's chief, good choice. I bet those bushes and brace has tightened it up somewhat. Camber changes when you adjust the height anyway, so the height should be set first!

Just thought I'd mention a little update. Had the tracking and alignment done last Wednesday. Rear camber is at -3, front camber is at -2.50 and castor is at 5. I did want to push for a bit more camber but the place I took it too didn't really know too much about custom setups so 5 was agreed on. Just for the record, the place was called Bodymek, and I wouldn't go back due to the lack of knowledge.

I have to have -3 on the back due to the ET17 offset. Unfortunately the garage didn't really know what they were doing so I had the camber evened up as it had already been set up by eye. I'll have it done again early next year anyway.

cars looking sweet man, whats next on your list of plans

Thanks mate! I've got a few small updates due a write up so I'll get some more pictures up over the next few days.

Apart from those I'm planning on getting my rear arches cut out and replaced and I've just started hunting for a set of winter wheels (may be early but I want them ready) although I'm in no rush yet.

Once the body work is up to scratch I'm thinking of converting to an M52B28 engine (2.8 6 pot) with an air con retro fit at the same time. More research needs doing into this though as it's a big job to do the retro fit.

sounds good, im a bit too young to be doing engine swaps so the 1.9 m44 will have to do me for a while any engine tuning advise you can offer?

The M44 is a good engine (it's the later version of the M42 I currently have). My first post pretty much sums what can be done, but in case you can't be bothered to find it here it is:

- Stainless steel Exhaust (cat back)
- Simota Carbon Fibre Induction Kit
- Big Bore Throttle Bodies
- Remap

This should see 160bhp on a healthy engine. The best tuning advice I would offer though is to spend money on suspension before power. Each and every time.

UPDATE

I've now got a new, freshly painted bootlid that has replaced my old one with holes. Spoilerless is definitely the way!

Fitment was easy enough but so much easier with someone to help. Didn't take any pictures though as I was in a rush.

E36_083.jpg

I've also got an M3 front lip on now. Fitting wasn't difficult. Just required some bumper drilling!

E36_084.jpg

E36_085.jpg

E36_086.jpg

As you can see I've also got a pair of OEM fog lights now, instead of just one fog light!

I also picked up an eBay bargain...

E36_078.jpg

I'm so glad to get rid of that horrible back box! Performance has also increased a little as well.

I love the new meaner looking front end Prince :) If like young Waynne you feel the ladies are getting in the way of your photos, I would be only too glad to have a word with them over a glass of wine or two! No, no need to thank me, glad to be of assistance :bigsmile:

I love the new meaner looking front end Prince :) If like young Waynne you feel the ladies are getting in the way of your photos, I would be only too glad to have a word with them over a glass of wine or two! No, no need to thank me, glad to be of assistance :bigsmile:

Haha! I'm sure you would have a 'word' with them! Thanks for the compliments as well mate. It'll probably look the same come Trax (September 4th) so you can have a good look then.

It's all good at the moment mate, maybe this time I'll actually be able to make it to a show :)

It would be good to see you mate. If you are coming we'll have to swap numbers to make things easier.

I will be there.

Good to hear it mate! Are you bringing the beast?

i was at japfest 2 the other weekend with a freind and we were considering trax, im gonna try and come along but its a bit of a mission from where i live

It's not too far mate. A couple hours worth of driving. I think there is camping on the Saturday night but I'll be going Sunday morning. It is a decent show with lots to see (not too many BMWs though). You should get yourself to Gaydon on August 14th mate.

Be good to meet up, and I should have a working car by then! Ha ha

And when it said it's all good, I ment your motor, it looks better with the Scorpian pipe on it probably the best tip for the car, is that cat back?

Be good to meet up, and I should have a working car by then! Ha ha

And when it said it's all good, I ment your motor, it looks better with the Scorpian pipe on it probably the best tip for the car, is that cat back?

I gathered :lol:. Yeah it's a cat back. I got it because my old exhaust had snapped in half!

Image006.jpg

It does look good but it's not long term. I plan to replace it with an Eisenmann (twin pipe) when the bigger engine goes in.

It still looks good though, mate of mine recently bought an e46 325i sport cabbie with an eienmann pipe and it sounds awesome, what engine have you got to put in?