Prince's BMW E36 318is Coupe

Hi all,

I bought this car quite a while ago. Originally I got the car as my Civic was involved in an accident and I needed something to get me from A to B, but wanted something that would hold it's value. I travelled to Peterborough one very snowy evening to check the car and it was fine (mechanically) so I lowered the seller to £1200 and drove it away that night. After owning the BMW for a while I decided to keep it instead of the Civic.

I've quietly started my project over the last month or so and decided to share it with everyone on here. It's not the most powerful car in the world but right now it fits the bill perfectly.

The previous owner's work wasn't the best so I have to correct scratches, rust and the awful back box. I've already had to replace a blown manifold (common problem on the M42 lump) and replace the clutch thanks to the release bearing. He did have some taste though as M3 rear lights have already been installed and the car has lowering springs (which will do for now). The car also had the full tool kit, torch, warning triangle and first aid kit.

My plans are:

Cosmetics
- M3 Body Kit
- AC Schnitzer Mirrors
- MTEC Mouldings
- BBS Style 5s (Summer Use)
- Smoothed Boot
- Lashings Of Carbon Fibre

Suspension
- HSD Coilovers (Fully Adjustable)
- X Brace
- Eibach Anti-Roll Bars
- Powerflex Purple Poly Bushes
- Front Upper Strut Brace
- Rear Upper Strut Brace

Power (Aiming for 160bhp+)
- Scorpion Exhaust
- Simota Carbon Fibre Induction Kit
- Big Bore Throttle Bodies
- Remap

Brakes
- Either a 330i conversion or an M3 conversion

Interior
- Honda Integra DC2 Type R Recaros
- Sport Headlining Conversion

In the future I will look into the possibility of a turbo or an engine conversion.

This is how it looked when I bought it:
DSCF0058.jpg

DSCF0062.jpg

DSCF0059.jpg

Obviously those awful eye brows had to come off, and that terrible M badge had to be removed.

So as soon as I had the time I removed them and gave it a clean:

E36_019.jpg

E36_007.jpg

E36_005.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry it hurts my face to write long replys on my phone. I know what a MAF is lol. AFR gauges read O2 post-combustion and so the sensor needs to be fitted in the exhaust. You will want to run a wideband sensor (which will come with a good gauge AEM Uego, innovate etc) alongside your standard narrowband sensor the ECU uses.

Be no good reading from the MAF as all you'd be reading is air entering the engine which is no good if you want to know AFR's!

Stack as above it also very good too.

Sorry it hurts my face to write long replys on my phone. I know what a MAF is lol. AFR gauges read O2 post-combustion and so the sensor needs to be fitted in the exhaust. You will want to run a wideband sensor (which will come with a good gauge AEM Uego, innovate etc) alongside your standard narrowband sensor the ECU uses.

Be no good reading from the MAF as all you'd be reading is air entering the engine which is no good if you want to know AFR's!

Stack as above it also very good too.

Thanks for the explanation mate. :D Does the lambda need changing as well?

Nice photos there mate, new wheels look good on the car.

As for the air/fuel meter, I'd keep the standard Lambda probe and have an additional boss welded in the exhaust and keep the wideband seperate so's not to upset the ECU.

While on the subject, do these engines use the Bosch Motronic enginemanagement system? If it does I might have a solution for altering your fueling and what not....

Nice photos there mate, new wheels look good on the car.

As for the air/fuel meter, I'd keep the standard Lambda probe and have an additional boss welded in the exhaust and keep the wideband seperate so's not to upset the ECU.

While on the subject, do these engines use the Bosch Motronic enginemanagement system? If it does I might have a solution for altering your fueling and what not....

Thanks mate. They're only winters.

I actually don't know what ECU it uses tbh. Interested to hear the fueling idea none the less though. Fire away!

WOW mate... only see this thread now... brilliant project !!!
i have a waynes manual for this model if you want it... i dont need it anymore as i sold the bimmer....
anything i can help just give me a shout.

WOW mate... only see this thread now... brilliant project !!!
i have a waynes manual for this model if you want it... i dont need it anymore as i sold the bimmer....
anything i can help just give me a shout.

Thanks a lot mate! It's very much on-going atm and due to get much more exciting in a couple of months. :D

a pic of my bimmer gauges set up
might give you a nice idea out it will look like

http://img263.imageshack.us/i/cimg0375rb.jpg/

Thanks dude. But I don't want them on the pillar. I'm using a Mickey Mouse style holder that sits behind the steering wheel.

Very nice Prince, when can we look forward to the CF installed finished pictures?

As soon as I get my arse in gear and fit them lol. Depends how distracted I get my the Xbox tomorrow. :lol:

Give them a few layers of wax before you put them on maaaayte :D Will protect them and give them big shines innit.

Ya get me 'n ting. Respect.

Word bruv. :amuse:

Carbon parts look smart Prince. :D

Cheers mate.

Update Time!

I fitted the carbon goodies today. I'll let the pictures do the talking...

Before.
DSCF1972.jpg

DSCF1974.jpg

^^^ The rear ash tray has never shut since I've owned this car. Now I have a working one!

Glove box out.
DSCF1971.jpg

Trim beneath steering wheel out.
DSCF1977.jpg

Clock and sun glasses holder out.
DSCF1976.jpg

Everything now out.
DSCF1979.jpg

New carbon console in.
DSCF1980.jpg

you going to something about the clock ?
you could fit a 2din radio where the clock and sun glasses slots are... it would look very smart.
how about replace the dials for plasma ones?
everything else looks nice !

Very nice! Just as side note, I like those seats! Looks good. Thinkin' once you done with your plans, that will be a whole new car!

P.S. Think some cleverly choosen alu pedals will look and feel nice aswell. ;)

you going to something about the clock ?
you could fit a 2din radio where the clock and sun glasses slots are... it would look very smart.
how about replace the dials for plasma ones?
everything else looks nice !

I like the sun glasses slot! I could fit an 18 button OBC, but tbh I don't really care about the information it will provide me with. I will probably just leave the clock in there as it shows it's roots.

Dials may go M3 but it's a pain in the arse to get the mileage changed. It would also provide me with an oil temperature guage as well though.

Very nice! Just as side note, I like those seats! Looks good. Thinkin' once you done with your plans, that will be a whole new car!

P.S. Think some cleverly choosen alu pedals will look and feel nice aswell. ;)

Thanks mate! That's the plan. These are the gearknob and handbrake combination I want: Storm Motorwerks and the pedals will probably be AC Schnitzer.

Marvellous stuff that Prince, well worth the effort and expense sir :)

Thats dude! Appreciate it :).

That Storm Motorwerks stuff looks awesome! They even got similar kevlar piece on the pic! :)

Yep! 65 quid without engraving...but it helps better gear changin'! :)
After you draw the line when the car is finished those 65 wont make you any reacher. So, if you like it - go for it, mate!

Last edited:
Small Update:

The thermostat had been buggered for a little while now so I took the chance the upgrade the radiator whilst changing the thermostat and water pump. I didn't realise how much of a size difference there was until today! This wasn't a DIY job though as I had some help (I don't have the tool for the fan and quite honestly didn't fancy doing this one). It's also great to have my heating back at maximum output. The radiator should also make quite a difference when the supercharger is fitted. I can also confirm that the 323, 325 and 328 radiators are the same for anyone wanting to upgrade. I was going to take pictures of everything, but it was way to cold for that in the end. I did however take pictures of the parts before they were fitted.

New thermostat.
DSCF2025.jpg

New thermostat housing.
DSCF2030.jpg

New waterpump.
DSCF2028.jpg

6 pot radiator. (The 4 pot radiator stops when the tank does).
DSCF2037.jpg

I'm glad to see the preparations for big numbers are continued!
Keep posting! You already got at least one fan in fanclub of your buld. ;)

Coming along quite nicely Prince ;) glad you will get the heating issue sorted out as it is getting colder and colder :sad2:

I'm glad to see the preparations for big numbers are continued!
Keep posting! You already got at least one fan in fanclub of your buld. ;)

Thanks mate! Preparation is often the key. I'm having to fight my natural urge to be impatient. :lol:

Coming along quite nicely Prince ;) glad you will get the heating issue sorted out as it is getting colder and colder :sad2:

Cheers dude. Something not working properly is always a good chance for an upgrade. :)

Thanks mate! Preparation is often the key. I'm having to fight my natural urge to be impatient. :lol:

Tell me about it! Just started to search for relevant data about biger turbos from other cars because Hybrid ones are to expensive in Cro, and I get dizzy when I scratch under the surface what's needed to be done in order to got reliable upgrade - numeruos hoses, pipes, sensors, oil lines, holders etc. and most should be custom made. In the end it's not much less expensive than to go with high priced kit.... But, part of fun is to being able to learn. ;)

Cheers dude. Something not working properly is always a good chance for an upgrade. :)

That is EXACTLY what I keep telling my accountant every time she queries a bill from one of my garages! Why replace with standard if you can upgrade for a little extra! ;) Bless her, she is an absolute diamond really :)

Tell me about it! Just started to search for relevant data about biger turbos from other cars because Hybrid ones are to expensive in Cro, and I get dizzy when I scratch under the surface what's needed to be done in order to got reliable upgrade - numeruos hoses, pipes, sensors, oil lines, holders etc. and most should be custom made. In the end it's not much less expensive than to go with high priced kit.... But, part of fun is to being able to learn. ;)

Exactly mate! Even if you are not doing the work yourself you should still learn what's involved. Also, if you need help, start a thread in the technical section.

That is EXACTLY what I keep telling my accountant every time she queries a bill from one of my garages! Why replace with standard if you can upgrade for a little extra! ;) Bless her, she is an absolute diamond really :)

Haha! :lol: She just doesn't understand...