Punto GT 'Competizione'

Picked up this last night as I need another steed whilst I wait for the insurance company to stop faffing around and make me an offer :blink:

DSC_0168.jpg

DSC_0167.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

2 previous owner's, 98k on the clock but standard (for the moment) except a DV, filter and smoked side repeaters. In really good nick for the age apart from rust on the drivers front wing:

DSC_0169.jpg

However, I'm picking up another wing from Sheffield next week.

Lol thanks all, at least you're giving me a good send off :bigsmile:

New tyrrrrres. There she is hiding at the back!

05062010538.jpg

Fished this out of the lock-up. No time to get the 2.5" elbow and downpipe welded on unfortunately but at least the cats gone ;)

05062010539.jpg

And on...

05062010540.jpg

Also finished wiring in the solenoid so I can run actuator pressure for pootling about then flick the switch to 18psi if need be.

Changed the oil and filter plus fitted the sandwhich plate and finished wiring in the oil temp and oil pressure gauges. Vid of the gauges working properly:

She's a different type of animal to standard now. Running sweet as a nut for the trip (touch wood).

Let the fun begin when I get back from Le Mans. Strip her out, whack the nitrous on and go get some runs in down the strip!

Ta TN! Caught some flies on the way back from Norfolk :blink:

19062010555.jpg

Stickers removed, pure filth.

19062010556.jpg

Fitted my racing battery, removed rear seats, took the spare wheel back out and got rid of some more of that bitumen sound deadening.

24062010558.jpg

24062010560.jpg

Inside to be rattle-canned next. Probably white or satin black any thoughts?

Yeah I think you're right, Satin black is the best option. It'll blend better with the carpets too as I'm leaving those in for now. Noticed that I've split both my inner CV boots, might be something to do with the car being lowered and the occasional burnout at Le Mans :lol:

Got two brand new inner CV joints, might as well change them while I'm in that area and they have potentially been exposed for 1700miles! Ordered a new pair of outer CV boots too as it would be foolish not to replace those. Pair of hub nuts too, as these should always be replaced once removed!

5/16" high tensile bolts, nuts and spring washers for the Wilwood hats and rotors are also on the way :p

Last edited:
Cheers Tyson, all comments always welcome!

Had a quick half hour on the car after work. Got the old dear to depress the brakes whilst I loosened all the brake disc and inner CV flange bolts. Removed the calipers and brake discs. That's as far as I got before the misses came so going to watch Dark Knight blu ray in a bit on my PHAT new 40" Samsung LED TV.

Oh yeah, also tried the Wilwoods on. Need to order a couple more bolts and they need a good clean up. They're only a couple of thousand miles old but look like they've ben through the wars already. Also another potential problem but we'll see what it's like once they're running.

Old setup:

27062010563.jpg

Wilwood 4-pots:

29062010564.jpg

A fair amount. The weights are back in this thread somewhere.

Found it: (to quote myself :amuse:)

"At 12.8kg all-in the Wilwood 4-pot 300mm front brake setup is also 4.6kg lighter than the standard GT front setup (17.4kg)"

Goodies!!! Birthday present from the old man...

02072010568.jpg

Nice bit of kit in a nice bit of case:

02072010569.jpg

Birthday present from mother goose:

02072010570.jpg

Some numpty told me the wrong size for the bolts to hold the Wilwood bells to the hub so they came and they're too small. Ordered some more to fit. I've spent a friggin fortune on high tensile nuts and bolts lately :confused:

Ace pressies!
Have a great birthday & btw, we've had a whip round for you & bought you one of these carbon fibre beauties for your GT. :bigsmile:

wingman-carbon-fiber-baby-seat.jpg

haha well im hoping 22 isnt to old as i was 22 in march.well happy bday m8.i know its a bit late but never mind lol.will be posting some pics on here when im allowed.have decided to leave the engine and im buying a punto 60 sx and do that up instead.then take the parts off the old one and put em on the new one...so hopefully things should look alot brighter in the future....anyways hows the wilwood brakes situation goin....?

Haha Loz that's ace! A haven't a little one though yet thankfully. Little harnesses too lol. Start em young!

Cheers Tyson, you're not too late fella, my birthday is tomorrow. The good things about Punto's is you can start with a 60SX and slowly add GT parts as you go along. GT brakes, rear beam and disc conversion, GT centre console etc etc. That's what a lot of people do. Ordered the wrong size bolts to bolt the Wilwood bells to the hubs. Will finish the driveshafts on sunday hopefully.

haha well im hoping 22 isnt to old as i was 22 in march.well happy bday m8.i know its a bit late but never mind lol.will be posting some pics on here when im allowed.have decided to leave the engine and im buying a punto 60 sx and do that up instead.then take the parts off the old one and put em on the new one...so hopefully things should look alot brighter in the future....anyways hows the wilwood brakes situation goin....?

You are allowed to post pics buddy. ;)

Went and got my Comp MO's tyre'd up and balanced. Gave them a good wash:

09072010584.jpg

Then stickered them all up with genuine Compmotive stickers. A complete wheel:

09072010585.jpg

Also treated myself to a new toy:

09072010586.jpg

Thanks TN, you have good taste lol :bigsmile: Nobody really seems to post here or update their own projects/daily drivers any more :(

Anyways, I've ordered a Megasquirt II kit with various bits and bobs from the good old US of A. Once I've built and fitted it I'll have full standalone EMS with boost control for £330 delivered. Bargain. Can add lots of features at a later date including nitrous control, launch control and traction control. Can ditch the limiting and frankly crap AFM too. Got lots of reading up to do mind!

Going to do a seperate project thread if there's enough interest?

Live mapping using a laptop with a mate driving...cool as foooook :lol:

Left open, I'm not having the whole wheel laquered for the sake of some stickers. Cost more than buying 10 sets and keep replacing them :lol:

BLOODY hub nut! Wizzy gun got the drivers side off but NOTHING would budge the passengers side. Tried heating it up a bit first with an old head bolt and a couple of other bolts through the hub to hold it in place whilst I pulled with a 3.5ft breaker bar and this is the result:

11072010591.jpg

Next I tried jamming a bar across the top whilst I pulled but I just lifted the car up lol. Finally, 2 hours later I heated it up until it was red then put two wheel bolts in, jammed a bar across them so it hit the floor and jumped up and down on the breaker bar for a few minutes and it just cracked loose. Without a doubt the most stubborn bolt I've ever encountered. Not even interested in looking at the car at the moment :mad:

^ Happened to me before. I had on a brand new "unbreakable" long socket wrench, threw a bar on it, jumped up and down, snap. The "unbreakable" socket wrench, was in 100 pieces on the garage floor. Needless to say I got my money back fairly easily.

Luckily my 1/2" ratchet is pretty strong and the breaker bar was a scaffold pole. I think if it had broken at that point I'd have cried and then set fire to the car :lol::lol::lol:

E-bay bargain alert! Had these so-called CPS 81mm pistons come today. Brand new with rings, wrist pins and retainers won for the bargain price of £270 inc delivery. About 600 new delivered from CPS.

15072010594.jpg

However, that's not all. Now I've got the pistons I knew straight away they weren't CPS pistons but Protoxide pistons with graphite coated skirts, which can be bought here:

http://lnx.protoxide.it/shop/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=190

For those not familiar with conversion rates that is £692 before delivery form Italy. Ultimate win!

Just keep my eyes open and I know what I'm looking at/for tbh. I've bought and sold several things from ebay for a large profit.

ARP head bolts from another non-Fiat car that happen to be perfect. Nearly half the price of a stud and nut kit, as strong as I'll ever need and re-usable is a nice novelty. Complete with hardened washers.

17072010595.jpg

Standard head bolts are good to over 220bhp and 20psi mind. Just a safety factor.

Last edited:
Rain. Bored. Weight of standard 80.5mm GT piston and conrod minus big end bearings, nuts and piston rings.

18072010598.jpg

Weight of UnoT conrod (before lightening and balancing) minus big end bearings and nuts, plus Protoxide 81mm forged piston WITH piston rings.

18072010600.jpg

70 grams lighter with the rings and before the conrod gets lightened. Good news so far.

Love the piston bargain! :bigsmile:
You've inspired me to strip the K series engine down & upgrade the pistons, only I've seem to come across a problem :confused:...

800.jpg