The Fiat Punto Project

So i posted earlier my new car well I've already made some small adaptations to it i will keep all my pictures and posts in this Thread to show you

So I'll keep this simple this mod cost me £9.99 from halfords I'm going to add more tomorrow to the bodywork but as you can see its covered up the hideous Plate marks from the previous owner!

Before:
Picture102.jpg

Picture101.jpg

After:

DSC04844.jpg

DSC04841.jpg

makes the car look so much nicer and so much less faded with a bit of T cut and a Viper Sticker Will Post tommorow when i add 2 more smaller stripes either side of it

Not a huge fan of the stripe, but something had to be done to hide those marks. What else have you got planned?

P.S. I've moved this to the projects section.

Last edited:
Just checked the engine specs

This would bump up my current performance from:
0 - 60: 17 secs
Standing Km: 50 secs - 1 Minute
BHP: 50 - 60 BHP
Top Speed: 100 MPH

New Performance:
0 - 60: 8.6 secs
Standing Km: 29 secs
BHP: 120 - 130 BHP
Top Speed: 130 Mph

If i am to use the HGT Engine i also have to invest in a 6 speed gear box imho because the range will reflect the performance then.

And also looking into changing the wiring loom and how to do it!
might possibly look into larger break drums too for all 4 wheels overall about £800 to do the whole lot like that i'm budgeting

Realisticly it would be much easier to just buy a punto 1.8, would save you a tonne of money and the insurance would be cheaper as it wouldn't be a modified car,

I personally think that swapping an engine into a particular car that is already avaliable from the factory in the chosen car recieving the engine is a waste of time unless you've spent loads of money on the shell.... so you may either want to buy the whole car and sell this one, or transplant a different engine into this one,
It all depends on how skilled you are with the spanners.

Think about your options carefully.

Just checked the engine specs

This would bump up my current performance from:
0 - 60: 17 secs
Standing Km: 50 secs - 1 Minute
BHP: 50 - 60 BHP
Top Speed: 100 MPH

New Performance:
0 - 60: 8.6 secs
Standing Km: 29 secs
BHP: 120 - 130 BHP
Top Speed: 130 Mph

Looks like a decent power upgrade. Good luck with the insurance!

If i am to use the HGT Engine i also have to invest in a 6 speed gear box imho because the range will reflect the performance then.

And also looking into changing the wiring loom and how to do it!
might possibly look into larger break drums too for all 4 wheels overall about £800 to do the whole lot like that i'm budgeting

A disc upgrade would be better. You need to think about suspension as well. Is the new engine heavier? I don't think a 6 speed will be needed, if anything I would keep the 5 speed for the better acceleration. It all depends on how strong the existing gear box is and if it can handle the extra power running through it.

There's a lot more to think about than just the engine itself.

You are miles off. £300 just for the engine, then you need all the ancillaries, loom and ECU to go with it. Poor base to start from as the ECU's are notoriously difficult to unlock, and the engine responds so so poorly to tuning. Buy a HGT if you want one, they are dirt cheap now but slow too.

16VT will be all custom mounts and loom splicing but no chassis cutting. Have never seen one in a Mk2 but I have seen a running 20VT which requires slight cutting of the chassis arms and you lose a lot of steering lock (like fitting one in a Mk1).

hmmm may have a gander a the engine yeah it would be expensive but i am planning to turn this car into my i.e. suprise at the lights car and also i want to turn around to a motor and say "I done that" i've practically got my 2nd car sorted already getting my hands on a Punto Grande

Auron Budgets are there to be broken ;) lol

I didn't say anything about budget or expense. If you are going to do a conversion that isn't a simple one, buy the whole car you need the engine from. You won't be missing any bits then, you know it runs and you can sell on or scrap what you don't need.

What he said...

Also you can where everything goes like wiring etc... it would make things much easier...

while we are on the subject (sorry for the thread hi jack)

@ MA Theres a GTI6 for sale on the gti6 owners club forums with a cream crackerd engine (thrown a rod) they only want £300 for it, complete with everything else in it. It's done loads of miles 142,000 but is a tidy motor, but it's silver.... possibly the most boring colour in the world... but I did also see a 406 8v turbo for sale on the bay for £800.... got me thinking.... would be an easy conversion and bloody cheap power, it's not powerful as standard (150 bhp less than the '6s standard motor) but its a very good tuning base. 300 hp is possible from standard internals... I have a spare GT2560 lieing around..... hmmm... the possiblities....

This is true and yes I was after a clean shell as mine is riddled with problems like dodgey insurance repairs and things like that, neighbour reversed into me and the wing was replaced with a pattern part and not undersealed so it's gone rusty and theres a dent near the boot and the like, i could just buy that, out my 2.1 dt into into and all my suspension and clocks, then I can buy a 1.9 engine and drop it in my shell with gti6 stuff on it and it will seel fairly well on my 306 forum, will have to wait untill pay day to sort it out, and need to find a way of moving it, as it's in exeter, at least it is a rolling shell...

well just had a quote for a breaking for spares motor working engine with 50 k miles on the clock new breaks and performance clutch all for 900 bob an extra 50 quid if i want the alloys

Hmm I'm Back and i'm glad to say it I have made a improvement to the ICE

Added 2 x 240 Watt Edge Woofers
and also 2 x 80 Watt Tweeters I shall post pictures up as soon as I get the car back

Unfortunately the car's clutch blew completely on me as soon as I filled the car with fuel (typical) So got towed for nothing :D

Brought a New Clutch and the motor will be ready for Monday Afternoon :D
Got a Transmech Clutch Kit for £45 + £3.95 P&P and also got Labour to fit it for £100

I'm now about to ring a guy in Darlington who is selling 4 16inch Alloy wheels for a tenner see if he would deliver them for a few bob

Yeah all but one of the tyres are fine the 4th's side wall is just starting to go but i can swap over one of my current tyres for nothing

Now I got the car back from the Garage I can update with pictures :D

As i said before the wife got me a set of Speakers which pack a nice punch considering costs all together the system is 640 watts :D
imag0603p.jpg

2 x 240 Watts of Woofers
imag0605m.jpg

2 x 80 Watts of Tweaters

imag0604h.jpg

I Do love how orange the woofers are :)

Only thing of mine i need to do is hide the wiring but its impossible to hide on the back seats as its metal only no carpet

Nothing more satisfying than playing some Village people full blast next to some boy racers to embarrass them :D

Looking good buddy.
No nrrd to hide the wiring just tie it up and run it neatly to where ever.
Or get a bit of carpet to stick on the metal and run the wires under it. ;)

Aye I did tie it up but the electrical tape came off lol! Can faulter it mate i love the looks i get when i pound heavy rock through the speakers makes a change from drum n bass an dubstep

carpet and carpet glue.

or fiberglass if your feeling brave. you could sculpt it around the bases and smooth it off.

carpet is also good for getting a base for the fiberglass

Wahey Christmas Came early today!

xD Fitting it Thursday Morning xD

I love the fact it comes with a 1 Million Mile Warranty they have a lot of faith in this product

inductionkit1.jpg

inductionkit2.jpg

should give my car about 5 - 10 bhp with any luck :D

Now i'm browsing a Suspension Lowering Springs on the Venom Motorsport Performance and Some Dial display units thank from MasterAuron for Inspiration

Mate sorry to be the bearer of bad new but you'll be lucky to get an extra 1-2 if your lucky.
Tbh all it will do is give you better throttle response and maybe feel a bit quicker but in a real world you'll not see much gains i'm afraid. :(

And when they quote an increase of 5-10bhp it's usually aimed towards cars with forced induction. ;)

^^^ All true I'm afraid PP :sad2: If I was to add up all of the claimed quoted BHP figures for the various performance parts from different manufacturers in the past on my chariot, I think would be spanking the mighty Bugatti Veyron if it was to ever dare tangle with me! :lol:

Well still its an extra piece of horse to add to her lol they did quote 3 bhp tbh I just quoted what i would like to get out of it! haha

I have a sneaking suspicion this is the one that just fits straight on top of the throttle body. If so expect to be losing a couple of horsepower, not gaining.

I have a sneaking suspicion this is the one that just fits straight on top of the throttle body. If so expect to be losing a couple of horsepower, not gaining.
Yep I think I have to argree, you will probably loose a few hp, but you'll gain a nice sound.

100% agree with that. These 57i kits are not enclosed or use a heat shield. All it is, is a noise maker.

How does that reduce power ?

It will just be taking in loads of hot air from the engine. Warmer air is less dense meaning less oxygen.

A.K.A. Heat soak.