Punto GT 'Competizione'

Picked up this last night as I need another steed whilst I wait for the insurance company to stop faffing around and make me an offer :blink:

DSC_0168.jpg

DSC_0167.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

2 previous owner's, 98k on the clock but standard (for the moment) except a DV, filter and smoked side repeaters. In really good nick for the age apart from rust on the drivers front wing:

DSC_0169.jpg

However, I'm picking up another wing from Sheffield next week.

Re: I've got another one....

Already changed the clocks for the ones from the Reaper (I imagine it'll borrow a lot more from the Reaper too!)

DSC_0166.jpg

DSC_0171.jpg

Much better, don't you think?

Looks nice. I had money on a Punto GT appearing some where along the line.

nice colour! i havent ever noticed a punto in that colour before (its usually red, black or yellow i see)
is the rust on the front wings a common thing on puntos???
cause on nearly every car i have owned its the rear arches that go (ive owned a few vauxhalls:amuse:)
any plans for the interior cause that is 1 of the worst upholsterys i have ever seen in a car
scared.gif

New project then? Is this replacing the reaper or will it share the work and parts? You've wound the mileage back as well :D

nice colour! i havent ever noticed a punto in that colour before (its usually red, black or yellow i see)
is the rust on the front wings a common thing on puntos???
any plans for the interior cause that is 1 of the worst upholsterys i have ever seen in a car

Midnight Blue, same colour as my first car (Punto 75SX)! It's not a massively common problem but a few have it. The youngest of these are 10/11 years old now remember! LOL the interior as a far cry from the Alfa GT but I don't think it's that bad; PURE RETRO 90'S! Be staying I think.

New project then? Is this replacing the reaper or will it share the work and parts? You've wound the mileage back as well :D

Nope daily driver until I get the insurance money sorted and then maybe I'll get something else. It'll be "borrowing" some parts from the Reaper plus some other new bits and bobs I've bought and will buy for it. Need to have a word with myself lol.

Looks smart mate dash looks great now.

Cheers TN, I'm not into all this flashy shizzle but they look cool all lit up, I'll get a picture tomorrow.

Removed the bonnet soundproofing today so the induction and DV noise will be a bit louder and to save weight. Also swapped the chavtastic Baileys DV26 for a Collins DV from the Reaper. Tissschh.

Plasma dials from the Reaper all lighted up:

DSC_0012-1.jpg

Cleaned out ICV as it's hunting on idle slightly:

DSC_0002-2.jpg

DSC_0003-2.jpg

Pure filth. That's what you get for not having a catch tank for 98k miles! Anyway, it didn't cure the problem so probably a vac leak, need to get my boost gauge on it and see what the vac reading is.

whats the ICV - guessing its something crankcase ventilation
its amazing how much crap does buid up. i 1st cleaned my TB out with 29k or thereabouts on the clock and couldnt belive how much there was - not even touching the PCV system yet. wifes was much worse took around an hour to clean it after 58k

Couple of hundred rpm. Just on idle drives perfectly fine will get one of my boost gauges on it tomorrow to check vac and swap all the old vac pipes for blue silicone ones anyway as I have some lying around.

Okay relocated the battery to the rear today. It's part of this project so will go in here but I'll stick it up in the tips section too. For a Punto but the procedure will be the same for most cars.

You'll need...
Wire Cutters
0 awg cable long enough to reach from original location to boot (I used 4m)
Distribution block with 1 x 0 awg and 2 x 4 awg inputs (will vary with car)
2 0 awg terminals
Grounding terminal

NOTE: I recommend using 0 awg cable because of the voltage drop. You can use thinner but you may suffer starting problems etc.

1. Remove your battery and battery tray (unless you want to keep it :blink:)

DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

2. Cut the wire(s) at the existing battery terminal. Strip the ends, twist the copper together and connect it (them) to the distribution block. Then, connect the 0 awg wire.

DSC_0007-1.jpg

3. Find a place to run the new wire through the firewall and into the car.

DSC_0008-1.jpg

4. Run the wire through the interior under the carpet, trim and back seats towards the boot.

DSC_0009-1.jpg

5. Place and secure the battery in the boot. I'm using heavy duty velcro for now because my battery box is int lock-up not at home. Run another length of wire (either 0 awg or smaller depending on length) from an earthing point on the chassis to the negative side of the battery.

DSC_0011-1.jpg

6. Cut the 0 awg down to size and connect to your new positive battery terminal. Job done!

DSC_0010-1.jpg

Last edited:

Idle Control Valve mate so first port of call when the idles not purrfect.
this is also a common problem on the redtops i had it for a while and the engine would rev erratically. it was quite embarrassing when you pulled up at the lights and it would rev wildly people would just look at you in disgust:embarrest:

Just covered 500 miles without a skipping a beat (despite the dodgy idle I've not had time to sort out). Did a dry compression test and the results are:

Cylinder 1: 164psi
Cylinder 2: 170psi
Cylinder 3: 170psi
Cylinder 4: 165psi

Should be 176psi from the factory so taking into account slight wear from the 98k miles, the engine is in pretty good condition! (Touch wood!).

Planned to do a few bits and bobs sunday, got as far as changing the filter, new NGK Iridium plugs, Magnecore KV85 leads and changed the crappy K&N for my pipercross filter and blue samco top boost hose...then it started to pee down before I could change the vac pipes so still a dodgy idle. Moved the DV from where it was to the Samco nearer the throttle body, a lot more assertive here, seems to dump a lot better and easier.

Pics to follow when I get chance.

Plus, just ordered a Spax RSX Coilover kit for it as the standard suspension is shocking! I sold some Spax RSX not long ago too! Doh! Don't want to use the XYZ's from the other Punto because they'll get all dirtee :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

ah cool they look nice im thinking of a punto gt for my next car if i have the money, i got a 1.2 punto and its great fun if only it had more power but ahwel ;]

also, what are you going to be doing with the old suspension springs and absorbers? are they the original ones or are they lower springs? thanks mark.

Yep plenty of fun to be had had especially with a GT, easily the most fun car I've driven. GT suspension is lower than 60SX suspension by about 15mm IIRC. One of the rear shocks is leaking though so that's no god to anybody. I'll be putting the front shocks up for sale eventually along with a pair I have that came off the other Punto that are like new. Think I'll just bin everything else.

DSC_0019.jpg

Merry christmas to me, merry christmas to me, merry christmas dear mmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, merry christmas to me!

DSC_0022-1.jpg

Spax RSX Coilovers, including complimentary Spax cap and phone lanyard. Naff but thanks anyways Spax. They'll have to wait to go on as I'm going to work in Cumbria for a week tomorrow at Sellafield.

I think I'm falling in love with this car. Way more fun to drive than the Alfa was, considerably quicker too. It's not mint but in very good condition apart from that bloody wing, but it's already got the odd mark so it's nice not to worry about the paintwork and interior 24/7.

With the Alfa every time you washed it you'd find new scratches or chips (being a dark car as well) and it was just so frustrating. Scared to put dirty parts in it and always careful inside so as to not damage the leather. Always parked miles away from everyone and everything. Don't give as much as a f*ck with this, bought it for pocket money. It's pretty liberating!

Anyone else had the same trouble with their "nice" cars?

Hahaha no no no, well I hope not anyway :bigsmile: They made me an offer actually, turned it down and sent advertisements off. If I spend the insurance money on this blue thing, I could build another Reaper! Just want to tidy it up and get it up to my standard. Only going to spend a couple of grand at the most, nothing silly. Might be taking it on next summers Le Mans and Nurburgring trip too if I can't decide on what car to buy!

What the XYZ coilovers? Not for sale but they cost more than you car probably lol. As for Sellafield Pgarner, turns out I'm on Fellside CHP next to it.

Last edited:

Noticed a fuel leak from the filler neck of the tank a couple of days ago when you put more than a tenner in (these are notorious for leaking in exactly the same place). So, changed the fuel tank this afternoon for the shiny refurbished one that was meant for the Reaper. Lying in the snow at first and it started to rain about an hour ago, just finished but I'm absolutely soaking and freezing :lol: Didn't have time for any picture I'm afraid! Deadly!

Haven't had time to fit the Coilovers. That's tomorrows job if the weather is okay.

Also have some Compomotive MO5's on the way but have some forged magnesium Speedline Monte Carlo's in the lock-up, plus the Comp TH Rallye in my room.......choices!

Oh dear, it always starts raining half way through a job, I firmly beleive that if I was stranded in the desert working on a car, it would still rain! :lol:! If you can't make your mind up what wheels to use, may I suggest fitting a different one to each corner?
thd5e1cf5e.gif

Wheels for this came today. Compomotive MO1572 15x7J (should just squeeze some 4-pot Wilwoods under them -hinthint-). Need professionally refurbing and tyres fitting when I get the chance.

11012010334.jpg

11012010335.jpg

Right update but only small due to the weather. Not had time to get the wheels done yet, four 195/45/15 Eagle F1's arrived for the wheels today but are being redelivered tomorrow as the lights were on but no-one was home. Got a new sticker and stuck it on the top left of the windscreen (inside):

20012010347.jpg

Also got some tinted wind deflectors and boshed those on in the five minutes it's not been raining or snowing:

20012010348.jpg

Been let down TWICE now on a better front wing in blue so somebody is donating one and bringing it down to Brum next week fingers crossed :bigsmile:

Need to sort out Vinyls for this car for Le Mans!!! Any ideas? It can be a total mickey-take or whatever, just for a laugh innit.

Four new 195/45/15 Eagle F1's have come for the MO's.

22012010349.jpg

Last edited:

Spax RSX Coilovers fitted in 2 2 hour sessions in between the end of work and it going dark outside! Finished them today in the rain. Eibach camber adjustment bolts in the front, need setting up properly as I'm running some serious race-car-like negative camber atm :lol: Sort camber, tracking and alignment Friday hopefully.

27012010351.jpg

27012010353.jpg

Collies are not even settled yet and the fronts aren't even at their very lowest but need to higher it a bit as it's still dutty low. Scrape the bumper just coming off my drive and it's barely even inclined.