Punto GT 'Competizione' Part 2 (16VT Conversion)

Small change of plan....

Just got this baddy home...

moz-screenshot-3.png
IMG00061-20090711-1841.jpg

So the plan is now somewhat different, as described by one simple picture...

newplans.jpg

More about the spec of the Coupe tomorrow as I'm knackered and need a shower. Bodywork is a state and semi-prepped for a respray but then that's not what I'm interested in. All I will say is that the CG Motorsport clutch is rated to 265ft/lbs, and it slips on high boost. :p

Last edited:
Re: Punto GT 'Competizione'

At least we are on the same wave length,

so you're now transplanting a 20v turbo into the punto or is it the 16v?
ethier one should make your punto rabidly quick, and those 5 cylinders sound gorgeous,

does that particiular car have the brembo brake by any chance? if so they could fetch a premium on ebay or on here, if they are the brembos what size are the discs?

no mate its a 16vt. Will fit but damn tight. We reckon the only way to get the 20vt in is to cut the chassis legs and you lose full lock, dodgy stuff! Only 20vts have the brembo and i think the disc is about 300mm, common upgrad for the gt. Get the spec of the coupe up later, im at work on my phone atm.

I thought so :)

If I'm not mistaken I think the 16v engine is almost the same as they used in the intergrale, so you'll have a beast of a thing when you are done,

what are you doing with your old engine then?

tis practically the same engine. Not sure what to do with the gt3 engine, sell it probably. I did want to build a 1400 that would rev to 9000rpm+ and handle 300bhp but its a futile exercise when i can just swap to the 16vt. Its cheaper by a long shot. Im getting on now and its about time i saved harder for my own gaff. Between the profits of the 1400 and coupe bits i dont need, inc. Pistons, head etc etc itll cost me nothing to go 16vt. In fact, i might make some money from it.

Ok now for the spec of the 16VT...This car is known to me, I've followed all of the work done to it. I have all the paperwork, FSH up to two years ago (new owner took on all the work himself since then).

Brand new engine fitted by Fiat at 43k due to bent crank :blink: Engine now on 95k. Top end rebuild 25k ago due to cambelt stripping itself. 3 angle valve seats and light porting. 10.5bar on cylinder 1 and 11 bar on the three others. Schaweet!

Dink stage 2 chip with custom tweek (Supports over 300bhp with larger injectors)
.63 T34 Turbo centre UK hybrid still under warranty until 03/2011
Evo 6 Tommi Mak FMIC and new pipework
2.5" intake system with Green filter
2.75" Powerflow exhaust and decat
Walbro 255lph pump
Bosch 3bar FPR
Forge DV
Barnacle Widget
Greddy Profec B Spec II runing 1.1bar low boost and 1.3bar high boost
PI 35mm springs
17" Wolfrace Kendo wheels (Yuck.....)
CG Motorsport fast road clutch

As an aside, this car will do 160mph on the clocks on a private road.

coupeturbo.jpg

coupeIC.jpg

coupeintercooler.jpg

and you're going to lamp that into a car that weighs as much as a toaster?
I can't wait...lol (I ment that in a good way :) )

but yeah much smarter move than making a 9k rpm turbo, it would be horrible to drive,

and i guess a slippy diff would be a smart move also

I guess you don't live far away from me so when it's finished can i be a cheeky bugger and come round for a spin? (not me driving just me in the passenger seat with you at the helm ) :D

of course. The 16vt and 20vt have a viscous coupling diff as standard. Bonus is that this'll be finished sooner than the 1400 would have been. Want it done by xmas and going to upgrade to an even stronger clutch and tubular manifold while the engines out. Plus new belts obviously.

HEL braided brake lines and ATE Super Blue brake fluid have come. Managed to nip out just in between rain showers to get the drivers driveshaft on and all torqued up the half-shaft side. Hub nut is on but not torqued up yet.

09082010636.jpg

These will have to come off and have 16VT inner CV joints to replace the already brand new GT inner CV joints after it's been MOT'd before expiry in October though :mad:

Will it ever stop peeing down? Be floods if it carrys on like this. Anyway got some steel to make the engine mounts/spacer plates:

14082010649.jpg

Went down the lock up for a couple of hours to start ripping the Coupe apart and plundering any bits I can sell on. This is what I'm after :bigsmile:

14082010640.jpg

14082010641.jpg

Barnacle Widget and Greddy Profec B Spec II (wish I hadn't sold my AVC-R now :( but it will do until I get it running on MS).

14082010638.jpg

Will have to get one or two of these for the Punto as a subtle nod to whats inside once it's done:

14082010648.jpg

This is where I got to before I came home for fooooood:

14082010646.jpg

Managed to salvage a couple of bits to flog...

HID's

14082010643.jpg

And a strut brace

14082010644.jpg

Along with the Evo 6 Tommi Mak FMIC from earlier.

Arrived today CG Motorsport Cerametallic Paddle clutch kit with uprated pressure plate and new released bearing (for the 16vt gearbox):

18082010657.jpg

Leathers out of the Punts are now sold the same night as being advertised :sad2: Served me well during Le Mans. Had to find some suitable replacements so picked these up:

17082010656.jpg

Proper seats and a proper bargain. GRP Corbeau Sprints with Corbeau subframes. Tight as anything on the hips and I'm only a 32" waist!

Solid mounts, that way it won't be comfortable to drive for anyone that isn't my height or even proportions :lol:

are you doing you engine swap yourself?? if so how are you going to get on with needing an engineering report to change you logbook???

Yes and I don't need an engineering report. All you need is a reciept on headed paper confirming the engine number, engine size and fuel type for the engine OR even a letter on headed paper form a local garage saying they have done an inspection and confirm that a replacement engine has been fitted and to quote the engine number and cc's.

Second slew of goodies for the 16vt engine. Integrale inlet manifold, fuel rail and TB plus 440cc injectors as well as a stainless tubular manifold (Ceramic coating here we come):

23082010658.jpg

23082010660.jpg

Get some weekends in chief :D

Been able to steal a couple of hours after work for this today (after popping to get the misses a Pandora bracelet for her birthday).

Made up a new brake line from the ABS unit on the passenger side to the drivers side flexi-pipe. Feeding this all down behind the engine was severaly painful and difficult so took up most of the time.

Did manage to get the HEL braided lines on too though:

27082010664.jpg

And the discs and calipers:

27082010665.jpg

Calipers let it down really but at only a couple of k old there's no point getting them full refurbished until I've got some use out of them. What you reckon?

Drivers side next.

Oooo no they'll be going black again! Don't mind funky coloured bits under the car where you have to look hard to see them, but nothing on show or in your face.

Seats are in! Mostly to get them out of the way :blink: Had to elongate a hole on each side mount so they would fit the original subframes properly (no runners, no need). The drivers seat is perfectly positioned for myself.

Also note that because of the Mk1 Punto passenger subframe sitting higher than the drivers, the passenger seat sits higher. The only real way to solve this is to chop and re-weld the passenger subframe, or make one from scratch, which is far too much hassle for what is effectively only aestetics. I can make the passenger seat sit lower by using the lower bolt holes on the Corbeau side mounts, I just haven't yet :)

31082010666.jpg

31082010667.jpg

Going to have to get my MOMO wheel on I think!

Last edited:

Yeah the difference in height it noticeable, but like you said there isn't any need for it to be perfectly positioned.

To be fair if I had a co driver in the passenger seat I would want them to sit higher up so they can see down the road better,

Whens the engine coming in?

Don't know when the engine's coming in. I'm aiming to get it done before christmas but I'd really need to pull my finger out for that, depends a lot where work takes me the next few months.

Plenty if not most insurance companies are okay with modded motors these days. Adrian Flux are popular. I can't remember who's insuring me on this, need to check, I'm with Admiral for the Fiesta.

Going to try and source a LHD drivers subframe to make the other seat sit level, but it's not a priority.

Just a small update...

Engine and engine loom are OUT! Pics of how I butchered it all out tomorrow as I need a shower and that.

I need a rather large moderation favour? This thread is heruuuge now. Can I have it split at post 220 (where the conversion stuff begins) and everything after bungled into a "Punto GT 'Competizione' Part 2 (16VT Conversion)" thread?

Slipped with the grinderiser:

03102010713.jpg

03102010714.jpg

03102010715.jpg

03102010716.jpg

04102010718.jpg

It's been bloody hard work stripping this Coupe, but it's worth it. Just need to scavenge the last loom, fuel pump and finish getting the gear linkage out and that's another Fiat to the scrapyard in the sky!

Oh there's bags everywhere because it started to rain again at about 6pm last night and I had to cover everything up quickly! :embarrest:

Last edited:
Lol about 27 minutes if everything goes to plan :p Just got back home from another 4 hours at the lock up. Absolutely everything I need is now out including the engine and ignition loom, Coupe 255lph fuel pump and the whole gear linkage.

Going to have a couple of evenings off from car work now because I'm cream crackered.

The plan of action now is:

1. Tidy the lockup, sell anything that I don't need that saleable, throw everything that isn't or is only worth a few quid,

2. Clean the engine externally so it's looking spanking. Paint the block. New belts, thermostat, water pump etc etc

3. Whack on the new clutch and other goodies.

That's enough to keep me busy for a few weeks!

The plan of action now is:

1. Tidy the lockup, sell anything that I don't need that saleable, throw everything that isn't or is only worth a few quid,

2. Clean the engine externally so it's looking spanking. Paint the block. New belts, thermostat, water pump etc etc

3. Whack on the new clutch and other goodies.

That's enough to keep me busy for a few weeks!

so for you thats 1 week and 2 weeks of:amuse:

What do I have....nothing of use to you I don't think, mainly Coupe related stuff tbh. I will have my Dawes duel solenoid boost controller coming off the GT once the engine comes out. You will not get a better controller for the money I can tell thee.