Punto GT 'Competizione' Part 2 (16VT Conversion)

Small change of plan....

Just got this baddy home...

moz-screenshot-3.png
IMG00061-20090711-1841.jpg

So the plan is now somewhat different, as described by one simple picture...

newplans.jpg

More about the spec of the Coupe tomorrow as I'm knackered and need a shower. Bodywork is a state and semi-prepped for a respray but then that's not what I'm interested in. All I will say is that the CG Motorsport clutch is rated to 265ft/lbs, and it slips on high boost. :p

Last edited:
Anyways, things need to start coming apart now for a big clean. Did a bulk buy of Cillit bang, cheap cloths and couring pads from Asda today. Yesterday I tidied up the lock-up then removed the gearbox....

This meant removing the starter motor, then the PS pump, half shaft, viscous coupling, diff housing and differential. What a game! Imagine doing that whilst the engine was still in the car.

09102010723.jpg

Diff and viscous coupling:

09102010729.jpg

Gearbox off:

10102010730.jpg

10102010731.jpg

Removed the clutch too. Flywheel will be sent off the get lightened and balanced once it comes off.

Also traced round the tops of the side engine mounts and then made templated using cardboard. Need these in 5mm steel when I can be bothered.

10102010732.jpg

I've also done the same with the Punto side mounts. The rear gearbox mount will be a different matter completely and so will be made with the engine in the car.

£45 collected including the actual Dawes and I'll throw in the switch as well. Alternatively I can get you a new one for £73. I would carry on using the but the Coupe had a Greddy Profec-B Spec II I'll use instead. Really wish I'd kept my AVC-R but I'll probably end up using the Megasquirt boost control eventually.

Nothing much exciting going on, just loads of cleaning. Come home because I remembered Spooks is on though. Started giving the gearbox a good clean, will get it blasted when it's not 3mm thick with grease!

Pic is dark but you can see where I've started to clean it:

11102010739.jpg

Also, I modified a spare standard gear linkage a while ago to make a short-shift. Just only got the old one off to compare. This one is a try it and see mod :D

11102010740.jpg

Whizzed the flywheel off in about 18 seconds without having to lock anything thanks to my wonder battery impact wrench:

12102010745.jpg

Pop into Chesman Engineering of Coventry tomorrow after work with it.

Whipped the first part of the inlet off, then the injector rail, then the second part of the inlet runners:

12102010746.jpg

12102010747.jpg

Look how clean that 25k old mile head is! Especially compare to everything else.

12102010749.jpg

Also set up my engine stand to move the engine off the crane so I have more room.

12102010750.jpg

Changed my mind about the flywheel, don't think I'd ever feel safe having a 145k old machined cast flywheel spinning at 6000rpm in direct parallel to my testicles lol. Going to order a billet steel one, a lot lighter than you could machine a standard one too, and a lot stronger. Downside is they're over 300 notes :(

Aye this is it you see. Cheaper than fake testiclces or a new head too.

Took reciept of two brand new Coupe inner CV joint and boot kits. The inner Coupe CV has the same spleen size as the driveshafts, so I will be using these on two passenger side Punto GT shafts.

Also decided that I wanted a new toy. Ordered a proper (yeah properly expensive) electrostatic flocking machine and some gear needed to start flocking (resin, flock, etc). Dug out some old pieces of trim and set about having a go. This is the proper equipment btw, just as good as anything the proper flocking companies use, and probably the same machine. Cost well over £1k with some basic flocking supplies.

13102010751.jpg

Flocked and left to cure. Very hard to photo properly especially with a crappy camera phone. Will get some proper pics tomorrow and assess the quality of my first attempt after a full 24 hours cure.

13102010752.jpg

I hope to offer this service to members for a lot less than the proper companies in the near future. Only if and when I get to a stage where I'm happy with the quality and durability of my work. I also hope to offer a money-back guarantee of sorts.

Loz, you need your dash flocked! LOL!

flocking is something ive never looked into.
by the looks of the pic it gives a velvet/suede finish is this right? and is it durable?

Yep like a velvety finish. It's extremely durable, reduces glare and acts as soundproofing, which is why it's commonplace in rally and race cars etc. It also looks cool as out. Going to order a couple of more colours in the next couple of days, blue and grey!

I will be offering free samples to those genuinely interested if everything goes ok.

It's nylon fibre btw! Has a metling point of over 220 degress C and different substrates are used depending on what is to be flocked. For example, for hard plastics and stuff like dashboards an Epoxy resin should be used. It's waterproof and easy to clean too.

Last edited:
Good to know for the future! Cause I hate that my interior is cream, black and grey:(
Could you also do headlining?

Yes headlining can be done. Can do tiny things like just door handle surrounds etc, multiple colours on the same item and much more. Glass, aluminium, t-shirts practically anything can be flocked you just have to use a different adhesive.

another query, my dash, door panels are patterned/embossed does flocking hide this?? or would it have to be filled and flattened before flocking??

If you didn't want it to show then you would have to flatten it.
Flocking works by standing short fibres 'on end' by using an electrostatic charge, the adhesive then holds them in place. Think of it as a really short crew cut. :amuse: So any shape underneath will show, how much it shows will depend on the length & possibly the colour of the fibres used.

I've got a dash in the garage that once it's been modified will be flocked as it will help reduce glare in windscreen.

13102010751.jpg

Flocked and left to cure. Very hard to photo properly especially with a crappy camera phone. Will get some proper pics tomorrow and assess the quality of my first attempt after a full 24 hours cure.

13102010752.jpg

I hope to offer this service to members for a lot less than the proper companies in the near future. Only if and when I get to a stage where I'm happy with the quality and durability of my work. I also hope to offer a money-back guarantee of sorts.

Loz, you need your dash flocked! LOL!

Yes I do :lol:

I hope you wearing a face mask working with that stuff, it's got to be at least
as bad as breathing glassfibre. :blink:

Hope you got it out the carpet too! :lol::lol::lol:

another query, my dash, door panels are patterned/embossed does flocking hide this?? or would it have to be filled and flattened before flocking??

Depends how deep the embossing is. You lay on the compound quite thick, it easily covers the wrinkly effecth on my Punto parts.

It's out the carpet Loz lol, just hoovers up. I breathe fibreglass nearly all day every day at work being a lagger, no problemo. I'll wear a mask for shooting something big as it does get everywhere, but no point for something small.

My handbrake surround has cured. Very happy with how it came out. Very hard to photo so first two pictures without the flash then two pictures with:

DSC_0024-2.jpg

DSC_0025-1.jpg

DSC_0027-2.jpg

DSC_0026-1.jpg

Good even coverage. No matter how hard I try the flock will not scratch or rub off, and the epoxy flexes with the plastic so it's all good. Going to do the inside of my Fiesta glovebox in a bit. Very chuffed :bigsmile:

Flocked me Zetractor glovebox on the inside. Luxury lol. Will put a couple of pics up in the Fiesta thread when it's all cured and I've removed the excess flock. Fo' shizzle.

lol, I'd like a flocked iPhone that would be cool,

also the results are mint, so will be very interested in getting the dashboard done, does it have to be taken out for it to be done?

Going to replace the Punto, most things have already been sold and sent off.

Gave it a good bufftying on Sunday but the phone on my camera makes the paint look all orange peely:

14112010792.jpg

14112010793.jpg

14112010795.jpg

14112010794.jpg

14112010796.jpg

13112010789.jpg

14112010797.jpg

Thats ashame really as it would have been really fast after all that work, still though the RS is a nice car mate so at least you've made a good change at least,

Why did you deside to change?

LMAO,

Fair play to you mate,
I still have to though, (a Peugeot though) but I do like my 306 which kind of has something to do with why I'm doing mine ;)

Don't get me wrong, I love Punto GT's and always will, but this is a big boys car.

I should have said enough is enough the first time round in retrospect.