Road safety or revenue raising

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Which percentage would you say applies to speed camera placement and use of speed cameras to catch motorists.

I would say over 80% of speed cameras and speeding campaigns is a revenue raiser and 20% is done purely for reasons of improving road safety.

The message sent out is that speed cameras and speed traps are 100% for road safety reasons but I really can't buy into that one.

i went to manchester yesterday and there was a nice long stretch on the A57 that had had something like 40 accidents in 3 years but there was no speed cameras there.
most id say are there for revenue rather than safety. but what is the point of a speed camera anyway ? most folk seem to speed until they get to the camera slow down while they pass it and then speed back up

Cameras should (if following Goverment regulations) only be used at sites where there is s history of SPEED related collisions. So a camera located at a site with a lot of crashes that aren't speed related would do little to reduce them.

As I have stated on here before, being caught by a camera isn't compulsory. It is your choice and yours alone. The speed limit in the vicinity of a camera will be well marked otherwise you have a good defence. There will also be warning signs at fixed sites and lots of white lines on the road so if you don't see the camera it is your fault and with that bad an awareness of your surroundings maybe you should consider public transport in order to make the roads a little safer for the rest of us :)

Here in Essex we follow the government regs to the letter. I know, as I tried to get a camera located at a double bend site with many loss of control crashes but, as they were not speed related, I failed.

Essex police refuse to enforce speed limits in the county unless they are properly signed, so if you get a ticket you are very unlikely to get off it.

Why are you slowing up, were you exceeding the speed limit? :)

Not me, I'm generally spot on when it comes to speed limits - sat nav levels of spot on. I'm far too paranoid to go silly. :)

I have noticed that drivers already doing the correct speed will brake and slow up another 5-10mph when passing a speed camera and this annoys me intensley as it breaks up the flow of traffic.

It is good to have a view from someone on the inside as it were, I'm probably being a bit too cynical.

Not me, I'm generally spot on when it comes to speed limits - sat nav levels of spot on. I'm far too paranoid to go silly. :)

I have noticed that drivers already doing the correct speed will brake and slow up another 5-10mph when passing a speed camera and this annoys me intensley as it breaks up the flow of traffic.

It is good to have a view from someone on the inside as it were, I'm probably being a bit too cynical.

If cameras were simply a cash raising scam, then they would be everywhere. If we put a camera at every location we get a request for (mainly from local residents) there would be one on nearly every road in Essex :)

If you don't want to contribute, don't exceed the limit.

I would rather have safety cameras than average speed cameras, they really cramp my style :)

I drive a truck for a loving, and i would say that its probably a 60/40 split on safety and revenue TBH.. I dont have a major problem with the fixed camera's, its the SPECS ones that hack me off..

The moral to the story though, is stick the speed limit, on whatever road you're on and you wont get nicked.. lol

I have to say I really prefer cameras to speed "cushions" and bumps.

Less damage to suspension, more comfortable to people sat over the rear axle (trust me, it's awful in a minibus!).

they are money-raisers, would say close to 100%. but, also, they are money savers for the whoever maintains the dual carriageway in Scotland. i live near the A9 and instead of building over/under passes due to the high level of fatal accidents on certain crossings they have put speed cameras (half a mile before the junction) - too shortsighted at the time they expanded the road to build the proper infrastructure.