BBFC bows to road safety campaigners

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
From October the BBFC will be issuing an 18 rating to any car movies under the following circumstances.

1) If the film contains scenes that involve driving in a reckless manner or in a way that could endanger lives on a public road.

2) For scenes where the police are in persuit and the car chase results in escaping arrest.

3) Where drivers are seen to be driving without due care and attention, for example reading a map, using a mobile telephone or otherwise distracted from driving.

Film directors are not happy, an 18 certificate will effectively cut the box office take dramatically. Most films released during the school holidays are targetted at a 12 rating for the widest possible distribution. The new rules will effectively prevent any car movies from being shown or released in the UK.

I for one will start buying imported DVD's. Can you imagine the Italian job or Fast and Furious or Gone in 60 seconds without a car chase scene.

Ah, now I'm confused... I thought the driving on the wrong side of the road post would be Waynne's mandatory April 1st joke...

From October the BBFC will be issuing an 18 rating to any car movies under the following circumstances.

1) If the film contains scenes that involve driving in a reckless manner or in a way that could endanger lives on a public road.

2) For scenes where the police are in persuit and the car chase results in escaping arrest.

3) Where drivers are seen to be driving without due care and attention, for example reading a map, using a mobile telephone or otherwise distracted from driving.

Film directors are not happy, an 18 certificate will effectively cut the box office take dramatically. Most films released during the school holidays are targetted at a 12 rating for the widest possible distribution. The new rules will effectively prevent any car movies from being shown or released in the UK.

I for one will start buying imported DVD's. Can you imagine the Italian job or Fast and Furious or Gone in 60 seconds without a car chase scene.

I don't know... F&F without the unrealistic car chases may be an improvement :)

I'm not surprised people pirate films. Just don't get value for money anymore. Added to that the 15minutes of unskippable piracy is a crime ads. They are almost reason enough alone to download a copy.

Whats the point in telling people who bought the DVD it's a crime not to! And if the people who pirate DVD's are terrorists as they'd try and have us believe they are hardly going to be put off by the fact that piracy is like stealing a purse!

Last edited:
I'm not surprised people pirate films. Just don't get value for money anymore. Added to that the 15minutes of unskippable piracy is a crime ads. They are almost reason enough alone to download a copy.

Whats the point in telling people who bought the DVD it's a crime not to! And if the people who pirate DVD's are terrorists as they'd try and have us believe they are hardly going to be put off by the fact that piracy is like stealing a purse!

BBFC is the censorship board. Nothing to do with piracy.

Last edited:

BBFC is the censorship board. Nothing to do with piracy.
If kids can't see films in cinema what they going to do? wait for DVD?

See it in cinema for say £5( which they can't cause of the BBFC) or wait for 5-10weeks and buy for £10 DVD( and probably only watch it once). Or pay nothing get to see it now without the annoying DVD ads.

The BBFC may be nothing to do with piracy directly, but they certainly do contribute. I was too young to watch the Matrix in cinema, went twice got rejected( it was a 15 I wasn't). I saw it that same week by other means.

Last edited: