Has road safety gone to far

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are your thoughts on road safety campaigners. Lots of small villages are getting 20mph limits, speed humps and other traffic CALMING measures.

I am all for being safe on the roads but I don't see speed bumps and crazy chicanes as the solution. Round here most people drive over them at full speed anyway.

I think the roads are as safe as they can be, surely going any further will just create grid lock which sadly seems to be what most town planners are aiming for judging by the traffic chaos around here.

Driving back from Utah last year, we went from 65 to 45 to 20mph when approaching a stretch of road with houses on both sides, what we in the UK would call a village. The road was as wide as the M1 and wee were almost at walking pace but everyone observed the limit (at least when we were passing through). When we had passed the buildings the speed limit built up again.

Never encountered chicanes or humps in California, Oregan, Arizona, Utah or Nevada.

What is the problem with driving at 20mph through a village? I bet if you lived on the street you would be campaigning for a 20mph limit whilst driving past other people's houses at a far faster rate.

Why is everyone in such a hurry to get somewhere a few minutes or, more likely, a few seconds quicker?

With regard to planners and traffic engineers, everyone else is an expert and the trained professionals are the idiots. We all know what is wrong but no one comes up with a workable solution.