Favourite Hot Hatch?

stamford

Pro Tuner
From
Hampshire
Car
MG ZS200
It started life as a 2.2i, went though fwd, rwd and 4wd, including turbo and finished as you saw it as fwd 2.4i running an ABT engine.

stamford

Pro Tuner
From
Hampshire
Car
MG ZS200
No, it was a joy to drive and handled really well when on tarmac set-up. Had a few problems in the early days with fuel starvation due to the tank design and constant fuel circulation of the K-Jetronic causing air-locks.

turbonutter69

TC ModFather
From
Alone in the dark.
Car
Insignia SRI.
I used to have a Fiesta Rs Turbo that had a proven 280bhp. An that drove like a dream. It had koni adjustable suspension all round that was set up for the wide 16 inch rims. It really did stick to the road an nothing could touch it...:D:D

prevtec

Pro Tuner
From
ireland
Car
prelude 2.2vtec jap
Some good choices there prev mate... I like the type R but i'd rather be in a GTi-r....
and i know why you would,:D
im just a honda man, and im always thrown towards them because i cant understand why they can take abuse so much and still start for you every time

the type r should be called a battered wife = take tons of abuse frpm you and it will still be there for you:D

prevtec

Pro Tuner
From
ireland
Car
prelude 2.2vtec jap
my second choice would have been the civic type-r and i agree they are the all round package economical if you want
fast, reliable, handle well (better with a fast road setup), nice looking inside and out all as standard what more could you ask for ????
thats why i like them the most

when i had mine, my buddy gave me a dvd, it had civic type r in it
they were cornering chicanes at about 80 mph in the wet, and still holding rd

so 1 night 3 am in the morning, it was raining i geared down to 2nd and was traveling at 90 kph, turned into the corner and she took it with no bother, type rs are unbelievable at cornering, and i always say, if you crash 1, your a dummie = thats the handeling
for the rest of the car, well you said it all:D

prevtec

Pro Tuner
From
ireland
Car
prelude 2.2vtec jap
ok then i'll rephrase it what more could you want from a standard car without spending any more money on it :toung: :lol:
ha ha,:D
but seriously turbo, they dont need turbos, with a redline of 10,000 rpm
you'll have all the fun you want:D

herb

modherbrator
From
west midlands
Car
Seat Leon Cupra
thats why i like them the most

when i had mine, my buddy gave me a dvd, it had civic type r in it
they were cornering chicanes at about 80 mph in the wet, and still holding rd

so 1 night 3 am in the morning, it was raining i geared down to 2nd and was traveling at 90 kph, turned into the corner and she took it with no bother, type rs are unbelievable at cornering, and i always say, if you crash 1, your a dummie = thats the handeling
for the rest of the car, well you said it all:D
very true mate when my mate bought his brand new honda threw in an advance driving lesson and the instructor wanted to show him what the type-r was capable of 90+mph round bends with no problems at all

mukalingling

Wrench Pro
From
bournemouth
Car
mk3 golf 1.4 match
mine has to be the nissan sunny. as a young driver ive driven a clio corsa fiesta sunny and golf and nothin really shines a light to the nissan. however i have only ever driven 1.4 litre engines so its not a true comparison to the great hatchbacks like the golf gti the gtir or the williams clio

HDi fun

TC ModFather
From
Buckinghamshire UK
Car
Passat 2.0 TDi
I used to like the Mk III Golf with the 2.0 eight valve engine. Not hot but very very flexible and refined. Good brakes as well compared to the lower Golf IIIs which made do with rear drums.

For 1980s madness the 205 GTi 1.9 has to be a winner. Noisy, hard riding, manual steering, savage turn-in and prodigious front grip made for an involving drive. So did the sudden lift-off oversteer. I doubt I'd be so keen now - bit too old.

I still want the same or more performance, just in a big car with no noise at all.

jarrus

Pro Tuner
From
West Midlands, UK
Car
Suzuki Swift Sport
306 gti6,
it rides well as if it was made for the British back road, it handles like a dream, you can tell that Peugeot used there motor sport tech to make this car properly great

and they look discrete

however I cannot, and will not forget my favorite car of all time which happens to be a hatch,
Lancia Delta Intergale Evo 2
Probebly one of the best cars ever made, words cannot describe why I love this car.....

Last edited:

Loz

Torque King
From
Wolverhampton, U.K.
Car
MX-5
I've always loved 106 Rallyes, not huge power but everything a quick hatch should be in my book, small, light, nimble & not overloaded with bodywork. :bigsmile:

jarrus

Pro Tuner
From
West Midlands, UK
Car
Suzuki Swift Sport
@hdi (paul) I've never driven one but I would love to, i would even love to own one, yes it would never start when I'd want it to and yes it would turn into rust as soon as I left it out side for 5 minutes when it get's slightly humid, but I really don't care.....

@loz, pug have made some of the best hot hatches ever, it's just ashame they dont make them like that anymore..... but renualt new line of hot hatches are deffinately worth a look, the megane 250 cup and the clio 200 cup deffinately get my vote :)
but I would take a Suzuki Swift Sport in place of the twingo 133 cup though, I went for a test drive in one with my sister and the ride was far too harsh for UK roads, it was just firm it bounced about and became quite unsettled in some bumpy corners whereas the suzuki rides well, plus the suzuki has better steering feel,