Favourite Hot Hatch?

turbonutter69

TC ModFather
From
Alone in the dark.
Car
Insignia SRI.
I agree with hdi a modern fwd car would leave a lotus/talbot sunbeam around a track imho! Cause already stated by hdi a short wheel base and rwd is not the best combination!
This was proven with the audi quattro;)

Disagree how about it keeping up with a Modern Rwd? And a modern Fwd.
Infact how about the Lotus thrashing them both.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xEryV8N-q4
Now after watching that tell me they can't handle.;)

HDi fun

TC ModFather
From
Buckinghamshire UK
Car
Passat 2.0 TDi
I don't think anyone is saying that they don't handle well.

All I'm saying is that it would take a lot more effort and rehearsal by me to get it round the track as quickly as I could in a high powered modern hot hatch with relatively little effort.

turbonutter69

TC ModFather
From
Alone in the dark.
Car
Insignia SRI.
I don't think anyone is saying that they don't handle well.

All I'm saying is that it would take a lot more effort and rehearsal by me to get it round the track as quickly as I could in a high powered modern hot hatch with relatively little effort.

Now I feel modern cars are just too easy to drive at speed. I'd prefer a car with no ABS or powersteering for the track but thats just me. I like to be able to feel the road through the steering wheel and I find that the newer the car the less feedback you get through the controls.

turbonutter69

TC ModFather
From
Alone in the dark.
Car
Insignia SRI.
Is the Astra Gte classed as a Hatchback?
Cracking cars the 2.0 8v. I've had a few and they was bulletproof for me. I had a black one mind that liked eating driveshafts. IMO a little quicker than most 16v's as well.

pikey motorsports

Track Warrior
From
hampshire
Car
None! 04 GSXR 600
yes its a hatch, and a dam good one for speed, not the 8v they were pants, the 16v redtop however is VERY fast in a straight line, but you have to be very comfortable with the car to really drive it hard as they love throwing the back out on you if you bottle it!

Unfortunately they got destroyed through corners by the likes of mk2 Golf GTI 16v. which for me, is THE hot hatch. so much so im buying a rather special one on Sunday :)

185bhp may not be a massive number, but at around the tonne mark, its PLENTY!

Last edited by a moderator:

jarrus

Pro Tuner
From
West Midlands, UK
Car
Suzuki Swift Sport
yes its a hatch, and a dam good one for speed, not the 8v they were pants, the 16v redtop however is VERY fast in a straight line, but you have to be very comfortable with the car to really drive it hard as they love throwing the back out on you if you bottle it!

Unfortunately they got destroyed through corners by the likes of mk2 Golf GTI 16v. which for me, is THE hot hatch. so much so im buying a rather special one on Sunday :)

185bhp may not be a massive number, but at around the tonne mark, its PLENTY!
My dad had a j reg Astra GSi with the 2.0 16v red top engine in it and it was a wicked piece of kit, it was a very new car at the time, as in it was the new shape astra

http://www.modifiedcars.com/pix/cars_high/22706_32705.jpg
Was the same colour as that as well, had a standard body like that but the standard wheels were ugly and were replace with some same size simple 5 spokes suited the car better,
We had it from new from 12 years and sold it to a kid where my dad used to work in Wednesbury I can still remember the reg plate J408NFD

If I won the lottery I would find the car again and restore it to it's former glory, it wasn't in the best of condition when we sold it so I dread to think what it's like now, last time I checked it had 6 previous owners,
Still a fantastic car...

pikey motorsports

Track Warrior
From
hampshire
Car
None! 04 GSXR 600
pikey, is it going to be the daily while the rado is being done or have you lost your love of it ?
unfortunately the Rado is being swapped for the new mk2.
was a tough decision, and am sure gonna miss her, but i missed out on this particular car 7months ago by a matter of days, and need to get it out of my system. plus, when i get bored of the valver lump and lob a 20vT in, it will stand me a profit of circa 2.5k.
the money from selling it will then pay for another Rado VR and the turbo conversion. unless i get distracted by something else lol

geraint13

Pro Tuner
From
Caerphilly, Wales
Car
Zafira 1.9 SRI
unfortunately the Rado is being swapped for the new mk2.
was a tough decision, and am sure gonna miss her, but i missed out on this particular car 7months ago by a matter of days, and need to get it out of my system. plus, when i get bored of the valver lump and lob a 20vT in, it will stand me a profit of circa 2.5k.
the money from selling it will then pay for another Rado VR and the turbo conversion. unless i get distracted by something else lol
well good luck and enjoy maytee !!!!! :lol:

From
Suffolk
Car
Audi A3 1.8T-Sport
Didn't VW throw that crazy golf together i like, 6 weeks?

'What do we have spare in the stores right now fellas?'

'Gallardo rear sub-frame, Conti GT motor and a white Golfwith no interior.'

'I'll take it!'

'Which bit boss?'

'All of it.... MWAHAHAHAHAA!'

jarrus

Pro Tuner
From
West Midlands, UK
Car
Suzuki Swift Sport
Sounds about right there.... lol

They should put that motor in an R8 or a Lamborghini to see what they can get out of it...

Also I do wonder why they never put the turbocharged version in the Audi A8, I think that the film Transporter 2 and 3 would have gone differently if it did.... that seen in number 3 where the merc amg is chasing them, if it was the tt then it would be bye bye amg

SLEEPER

Pro Tuner
Ok a bit of entertainment for you :bigsmile:

Std spec out the factory

Genuine two door with hatchback and no boot.
Tube chassis , 4wd , leather interior , alloy wheels , electric everything , air con , central locking , abs etc

Oh and the standard version was 330 bhp with more torque than you can throw a stick at.

Who will guess first ?

:lol::lol::lol::lol: