At Last!. I have started on my car ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone interested, here is a photo of my car. As can be seen, a little more work is required to get it road legal :) But at least I have started.

Welllllll, there would be a picture here (less than 97kb as requested) if only the system would let me post it. It keeps saying that I have exceeded my quota by 67Kb! Help please Waynne

How's the project going OG?

Weeeeeellllllll......Not a lot further on since photos. However, I have now bought carbon fibre for new body to be made over the winter.

I am taking next week off to work solely on car (hopefully) so there should be some progress to report soon.

Experimented with a paint stripper that claims not to damage fibreglass. Seems to work. Stripped sill under one door and weighed the paint :) Worked out at 1kg per square metre! But there is at least 5 coats of paint on the car - Red, Yellow, Blue, Blue and Black, so I guess that will add up.

All holes are cut in floor, boot and bonnet areas to accommodate engine and suspension modifications so I hope to fibreglas these up next week. As soon as milling machine arrives I will make wheel sensor brackets. Also need to make pattern for front anti-roll bar.

Engine fits pretty well - A lot better than I thought it would. A few issues to sort out: starter motor fouls chassis, bonnet will need to be modified to accommodate height of cam pulleys and turbo, exhaust from turbo requires that steering column be resited.

Checked on getting a carbon fibre propshaft. £1500-2000 precludes this item for the moment!

As I had rear driveshafts made the same length, I have had to get a 40mm thick spacer made. This should be ready at end of week.

Update to follow after week off.

Wow - i'd never have guessed that paint could weigh so much! Thanks for the update and good luck with the next phase.

[FONT=&quot]Hi

Project update.

Had a big issue with exhaust temps. 950 deg C at turbo. Being a plastic car - it would melt!

After a lot of discussion and agrument, it has been decided to route exhaust around the back of the engine and out the passenger side. Taking it out the driver's side would have resulted in boiled brake and clutch fluid and burnt feet. It has meant that the passenger has lost some footwell space but, what the hell, I'm not sitting there :)

Lots of heat shielding needed and pipe will be ceramic coated. Photos show mock up of exhaust in drainage pipe (not quite 3 inch diameter but near enough for a pattern). New firewall is being designed using plastic card. Once finalised, it will be made in aluminium.

This has the advantages of keeping the underside the car clear of exhaust pipes and boxes which helps with ground clearance. Also means that no mods to steering column are needed. Just need to manage the heat.

(Waynne - Finally, I have worked out how to add photos all on my own!)

[/FONT]

Last edited:
Well done with the pics. Looks like you sorted your log in problems. Thanks for the update.

if your using it for dragging what do you have to worry about passengers for? :p

like you said your driving :cheesy:

Ah, but it will be road legal, so will carry passengers who like to be scared s**tless :) So there must at least be enough room fo their legs. However, as they don't have to reach the steering wheel or gear lever, I can set the seat back to improve legroom.

£30 a ride, hurry and book in now while stocks last. Please bring a change of underwear and wear something waterproof :lol:

£30 a ride, hurry and book in now while stocks last. Please bring a change of underwear and wear something waterproof :lol:

No need for the waterproof clothing, as the seats are carbon fibre so they won't stain :)

Update:

Car is off to Primary Designs on Wednesday to get the exhaust system made, so I had to make the car rollable. This meant building the suspension, bolting the body on and fitting some temporary wheels. Finally completed this at 8pm Monday.

Top and bottom left photos show front suspension and steering, bottom right shows rear suspension. Close up of front suspension shows that the steering rack is badly out of alignment with the wishbones, so this will need to be adjusted. If left like this serious bump steer will occur. Suspension is only temporarily fitted and will be stripped and rebuilt using new nuts and bolts once back from Primary Designs.

Last edited:
hows the body coming on for it ?

I have fitted the fibreglass one on to the chassis so that the exhaust can be made. I plan to get the car working with all of the wrinkles ironed out before I embark on the carbon fibre shell. However, I have bought the carbon fibre (80m2) so I am ready to roll when the time comes. New body will reduce weight by approx 100Kg :)

I have just bought a powder coating system so that I can get rid of all of the chrome as well has treat the suspension parts. I will let members know how well it works.

Car now at Primary Designs. They are making complete system and getting it ceramic coated at Zircotec. Third photo shows car at PD. Wheels are borrowed from son. Final style will be more filled in so hiding suspension, calipers, etc.

is it the whole exhaust system thats getting the coating or just under the bonnet ?
take it the turbos getting the coating as well

Manifold, exhaust pipe and silencer. Turbo will be treated to a blanket. Exhaust will also be surrounded by heat shields.

Looking at the photo of car on trailer, I am beginning to wonder whether 17s are too big for it. Any thoughts out there? What if they were black?

Looking at the photo of car on trailer, I am beginning to wonder whether 17s are too big for it. Any thoughts out there? What if they were black? Car is sitting approx 50mm higher than it will be.

Modified post with photo showing car at the proposed height (Also added door in order to get a better idea of finished effect). Ignore, for now, steering and body clearance issues.

Last edited:
If it's 50mm higher than in the pic, then yes the 17s are too big. I would say you are looking at 16s (max).

Now that you've added that pic...I would say 16s.

Last edited:
The 17's look great but for performance you need to take into account the change to the final drive ratio. Smaller wheels will always give improved acceleration. Perhaps you need 2 sets - some cruisin wheels for going round town in the evening and parking up by the chip shop with the radio blaring and then a set of smaller competition wheels.;)

The 17's look great but for performance you need to take into account the change to the final drive ratio. Smaller wheels will always give improved acceleration. Perhaps you need 2 sets - some cruisin wheels for going round town in the evening and parking up by the chip shop with the radio blaring and then a set of smaller competition wheels.;)

If I go for 16s I will fit slightly higher aspect ratio tyres so the gearing will stay the same. With over 500bhp in 'standard' trim, the wheels will spin whatever size they are so it is all going to be controlled by traction and launch systems. I don't think that an inch is going to make much of a difference :)

I just feel that the wheels look too large for what is a small and low car. Maybe if black they would be lees obtrusive. I will have to play with Corel Paint some more:-0

What size are the brakes ? surly this is going to determain what size wheels can be fitted

Fronts are not a problem as the set up is still basically Lotus. The back, using Sierra Cosworth discs, is a different matter. When I get the car back I will see what size I can go down to. 15s won't fit, 16s may do.

looking nice v nice

imo i would have 16's

so your saying that if you just bought it from the factory it would have 500 bhp???
that would be insane tuned up.
what have you done to the engine??

but the question is. are you going to take it to santa pod an get a 1/4 time?

i would love to race you down the strip... just to see how much you beat me by :p

Last edited:
looking nice v nice
imo i would have 16's
so your saying that if you just bought it from the factory it would have 500 bhp???
that would be insane tuned up.
what have you done to the engine??
but the question is. are you going to take it to santa pod an get a 1/4 time?
i would love to race you down the strip... just to see how much you beat me by :p

I am leaning towards 16s myself.

Lotus Elans came with 115-125bhp as standard. My engine is specified to produce 520bhp on pump fuel. Racing fuel adds another 100bhp and nitrous is being held in reserve. Car will weigh approx 600Kg wet.

It is being designed as a road legal car, but is being prepared to compete in the TOTB competitions. Should be able to handle the twisty bits a tad betrer than the Skylines :) Theoretical top speed is scary and 1/4 mile times should be well into single figures.

Plan is to be out testing early next year at the first Test and Tune day at the Pod. You will NOT see me at the RWYB events, I like to get more than 3 runs in a day :)

What are you playing with?

well as i got my test is in under 3 weeks it wont be anything hugly powerfull.

but if i were to race you down the strip :p

it would prolly be in my gsxr750 (shall be buying it in the next couple of months,)
although i would prolly give it ago with my focus just for a laugh lol

so approx, your elan's got like, 750bhp per tonne?
thats pretty damn fast

so whats your estamated top speed?

Last edited:
well as i got my test is in under 3 weeks it wont be anything hugly powerfull.but if i were to race you down the strip :p
it would prolly be in my gsxr750 (shall be buying it in the next couple of months,)although i would prolly give it ago with my focus just for a laugh lol
so approx, your elan's got like, 750bhp per tonne?
thats pretty damn fast
so whats your estamated top speed?

860bhp/tonne in 'standard' tune.
Using simulation software, 219mph. In real life, it should reach 200.
Unfortunately, bikes aren't allowed to race cars on the strip :)

in-sane.

you should be able to have the likes of porches are ferrari's with that kind of power.

thats annoying not being able to race bikes and cars. do you know why??

might just have to stick as much noz into my car as the engine will take an not blow up an then give it a go lol... otherwise a standerd 2.0L focus will not stand a chance. prolly wont anyway but it will be a laugh :p

and on the 17 v 16. i would go 16's because of the extra clearance to the arch. you gonna have much travel in the suspention?
or is it going to be really solid? you might have some steering issues with 17's

also.... what do you mean 'standard' tune?
you going to get a remap after you've finished or something?

Last edited:
in-sane. you should be able to have the likes of porches are ferrari's with that kind of power. thats annoying not being able to race bikes and cars. do you know why?? might just have to stick as much noz into my car as the engine will take an not blow up an then give it a go lol... otherwise a standerd 2.0L focus will not stand a chance. prolly wont anyway but it will be a laugh :p and on the 17 v 16. i would go 16's because of the extra clearance to the arch. you gonna have much travel in the suspention?
or is it going to be really solid? you might have some steering issues with 17's
also.... what do you mean 'standard' tune?
you going to get a remap after you've finished or something?

Porsches and Ferraris aren't even in the same league.
I believe due to the danger of the car losing control and hitting the bike.
No issues with arch clearance with either 16 or 17s as there is very little suspension movement.
By standard tune I mean as envisaged in the original build specification. We are now loooking at alternative fueling and turbo configurations. There will be separate maps for pump and racing fuel as well as one for nitrous use.

you must be spending HUGE amounts on that car.
the question is, will you be putting a body kit on it?

not the normal boy racer kit, i mean the functional kits that give positive downforce and airflow round the wheels.
front splitters and diffusers that sort of thing, the kind you get on racing cars.
because im thinking that with that amount of power into a corner, might have some interersting results.

thats a fair enought reason with the car V bike on the strip. the bike wouldnt stand a chance of getting out without serious injury or death, whereas the car driver might be able to get out and even walk back to the pits.

i bet you've even gone as far as to change the wheel nuts to light weight titanium or similar ones heh.

can i ask what mods you have done to it?
i know its going to be a long list, but it would be interesting to know what sort of stuff you have put into it to get it from 125bhp to 550+.

Last edited:
only a few things that have been done then ehh ;)

Thanks Paul, I was trying to find that :) I have just updated a few things.

Working on it :) However, quite a few items on list have been made/purchased and are waiting to be installed. Next big task is to design and get made all of the alloy bits - Rads, fuel tank, collectors, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.