At Last!. I have started on my car ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone interested, here is a photo of my car. As can be seen, a little more work is required to get it road legal :) But at least I have started.

Welllllll, there would be a picture here (less than 97kb as requested) if only the system would let me post it. It keeps saying that I have exceeded my quota by 67Kb! Help please Waynne

Re: At Last!. I have srarted on my car ;)

I have changed the internal server memory limits so you should be able to upload anything up to 1024kb in size. Use the GO ADVANCED button and the my photos option. If you have any trouble please let me know.

Thanks Waynne. If anyone is still interested, here are a couple of photos showing the engine and gearbox being fitting for the first of many times.

283047d5a8c51ba1a.jpg

283047d5a8c6f2e21.jpg

Well, that didn't work, I must be really stupid. However, they have appeared in the 'photos' section, if anyone still has the will to look.

(EDIT- Waynne) Don't worry old-git something went a bit screwy - perhaps I have another problem to sort out. Ah well that as they say is life. I have fixed the image links for you so they now show.

Last edited by a moderator:

No, I don't know what srarted means, other than there is a very weak connection between by brain and finger tips :)

Its already in the Lotus, or the sub frame at least :lol: . Many people doing engine swaps - not old-git he rebuilds the car from scratch using little more than a lathe and bits of metal he finds laying around. :lol:

Uploading images.

To insert a picture.

Go advanced (This should have the smilies menu on the right) - Click in the message area where you want the photo to appear (if you don't do this the pic will not be inserted in your message). Then - under the smilies in a My Photos box (hopefully) You have 2 options open and quick upload - choose open, select the picture and it will be inserted in the post.

If the menu is not appearing for you let me know.

2nd way (this needs you to know the web address URL of the picture) Click the little mountain icon at the top, type in the URL of the picture click ok and the image is inserted.(This works best if your images are hosted elsewhere and you know the URL) When you view your pictures there are 2 BB Code links underneath which show the Link and image URL (I'd just use the second one as it is simpler)

If uploading 2 or more pictures leave a gap between then as it makes editing them later easier.

Its already in the Lotus, or the sub frame at least :lol: . Many people doing engine swaps - not old-git he rebuilds the car from scratch using little more than a lathe and bits of metal he finds laying around. :lol:

What you see is the engine sitting in the complete Elan chassis rather than a sub-frame. The fibreglass body bolts to this with approx 16 bolts.

If only the last bit was true. Most of the car is having to be made out of one-offs as there is no market for what I am doing. Lotus only made around 14,000 and most are kept reasonably standard apart from engine tuning and brake upgrades.

I am just a nutter trying to take this car as far as possible whilst still keeping it looking reasonable original from the outside (and road legal).

For example, any carbon fibre parts will be painted so they are not obvious. It will be fully trimmed, but with lightweight materials. I am replacing every part that I can with a lighter versions. There will be no ICE (what would be the point). No heater as it will only be used in dry and warm weather.

Every Kg saved equates (on this car) to approx 1bhp/tonne.

25 years ago, this was one of the fastest 4 cylinder cars in the Country and was favourite to win the under 8 cylinder class at the 1985 Street Car Championships held in York (dropped a cam follower and destroyed the camshaft).

Things have moved on a great deal while I have been away and it has been a VERY steep learning curve. But after 4 years of study, design, re-design, re-re-design and finding a lot of very clever people to help me with the stuff I don't understand, I think that I have come up with a concept that will stand a very good chance of taking the TOTB crown in 2009.

Expensive? VERY.

Boasting? Maybe, but you have to aim high to achieve anything :)

Watch this space, if interested. I like this forum so I will be hanging around.

Hi Waynne.

On reflection, would it be possible to move this thread to the general discussions board, as not all tuners are drag racers? :)

haha, no, not quite. but have you ever tried to remove one of those rediculous cover clips that is some 10 sided shape with one hand, the other holding a mirror so you can actually see what your doing? nightmare. then the actual housing that holds the bulb was stuck solid and had to yank at it with a set of monkey grips. to be fair tho that was changing 4 bulbs, so an hour each which isnt too bad, is it?:oops:

I remember the old Haynes manuals. And didn't it look easy.Nice clean spanking new brake caliper on bench. Indoors. Well lit. Warm. Comfortable. Massive rack of tools to hand.

Now to me. Five year old Montego. January. Cold. Wet. Dark. No tools. No light. and five years of encrusted road dirt to work through before you could even see the thing.

You reminded me of this thread http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f5...hnical-language-manuals-529/?highlight=haynes :lol:

The bulbs can be quite fiddle - especially with the battery and other components in the way. When you have the knack it is quite easy but at first it can be a real pain. So you've changed 4 bulbs - does this mean you now have a blue tint with a hint of whiter than white? I'm guessing it is an upgrade unless you wait for all your bulbs to blow before changing them :lol:

You reminded me of this thread http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f5...hnical-language-manuals-529/?highlight=haynes :lol:

The bulbs can be quite fiddle - especially with the battery and other components in the way. When you have the knack it is quite easy but at first it can be a real pain. So you've changed 4 bulbs - does this mean you now have a blue tint with a hint of whiter than white? I'm guessing it is an upgrade unless you wait for all your bulbs to blow before changing them :lol:

yeah, philips blue vision. pretty nifty

Just the kind of thing a guy with a small turbo would say! Lmao!!!

I know, and I apologise for using sarcasm.

It's a very very big turbo really. And the car will go really really fast. Because the very very big turbo will deliver lots and lots of boost pressure.

How about fitting three more of the same dimensions. Perhaps he'll need air intakes with warning signs to avoid small children losing hands to the suction.

Kind rgds,

Paul.

cool, i always admire someone who can work on engines. i took me 4 hours to change the lightbulbs! whats that anyway, turbocharged straight 4?

Ford Cosworth YB 2 Litre turbocharged.
Specification designed for lots of torque from low revs.
Turbo is a modified RS500 for those in the know.

Over the weekend we did a first fit of the body. If I can, I will post photos of engine sitting in body.

I need some help on a couple of issues:

Anywhere in Essex that makes prop shafts to specification?

Looking for a 3 bolt starter motor (pre-engaged) that will fit Cossie bellhousing but with solenoid on top or bottom rather than on the side. Standard solenoid fouls chassis. If I can't find one I will have to cut a hole :-(

Thanks

Photo of engine and body loaded into my photos

[I've put it in here for you OG! - Waynne]
283047eafac2ee922.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you looked at Carbon fibre driveshafts? I really rate them, they smooth the power delivery and reduce stress on the engine. They are also more likely to be custom made to order.

Have you looked at Carbon fibre driveshafts? I really rate them, they smooth the power delivery and reduce stress on the engine. They are also more likely to be custom made to order.

Thanks for help with photo, Waynne.

Yes I have. Can you recommend anyone?

so og what time are you looking for on the 1/4 mile apart from the fastest recorded ;)

Damn! I was hoping no one was going to ask me that!

Weeeeeellll, I am not saying what I am hoping to finally achieve (my little secret), but with a basic power/weight ratio of over 800bhp/tonne (or a lot more if using C16 and/or nitrous and depending on how light I can get the car), it should be reasonably quick :)

However, the real target is the TOTB title. The Elan is small and will out handle most of today's cars even in standard trim so, with its race suspension set up, it should be pretty good on the handling course.

Very low 10 second quarters are the conservative initial target so it will be competitive on the quarter mile. As for the top speed, I will leave that to your imagination :)

I have been designing and planning this car for over 4 years and have some very clever people helping me and it is packed with a lot of hi-tech sorcery, so it should not disappoint when it finally hits the street :)

TorqueCars will be the first to know when it gets its MOT :)

Status
Not open for further replies.