my leon cupra

i was originally planning selling the leon but after doing an online valuation and looking on autotrader my car has dropped in value by a £1000 within a year :amazed: plus the £3000+ i have spent on it so i have decided im keeping her and going the full hog and making her even better

engine wise i am with the performance at the moment but in the future the next step would be a turbo upgrade but this wont happen for a long time yet

so im going to be looking at spending my money on looks and handling this is what im aiming for on the front i have received the light eyebrows just waiting for the grills to turn up then will decide about the lower splitter then its of to a mate of a mate for colour coding and judging from my mates car the bloke does a good job and all for the price of £200 wich sounds pretty good to me :D

IMG%5D

and when i can find the time i will finish my wheels off these are the few changes ive made so far
when i bought them

then changed the inserts and centre cap black

then after putting them on the car realised they were to bling for my liking so changed them again to this body coloured with gloss inserts and matt faces not the best pic but i think you can get the general idea

and then being over fussy their was some orange peel on 2 of the wheels so rubbed them down as gentle as i could did th first 1 perfect but on the 2nd rubbed a bit to far and down to the primer so instead of going through the hassle of all the masking up again i decided just to go for a black gloss finish and this is how they sit in the garage at the minute awaiting a few more coats of lacquer

IMG%5D

do you have the headed seats ?
do the passat ones fit the leon?
the heating element is in the seats as standard on the leather in a leon. just no loom from dash to the seats or switches (this would probably cost something stupid like £500 as an option:amazed:) i have looked into buying a proper loom and it costs £50 so i will be making my own
as for the switches i took a gamble on the passat 1's i had no idea whether the connectors would even be similar! so i put a high bid in for £7.01 which if you include postage £10 and i think the gamble payed of
passat switch
DSC00180.jpg
leon switch

other passat switch
DSC00181.jpg
other leon switch

the main reason i didnt want to go for standard leon switches was cost and i would loose my cup holder
sad.gif

cupholder i lost that ages age think i had only used it once and that was nearly a disaster lol

looks like its just the missing blanking pins thats the difference.

mmm so i might start looking towards hunting a leon leathers then ;)

cupholder i lost that ages age think i had only used it once and that was nearly a disaster lol

looks like its just the missing blanking pins thats the difference.

mmm so i might start looking towards hunting a leon leathers then ;)
i use my cup holder everyday for my coffee or tea in the morning;)

i wouldnt bother with leon leather tbh the cow they used must have been a 60 year old nag that liked walking against barbwire:amuse:

Those switches are a great bargain, should have bought some more & sold em at a profit. :bigsmile:
yep cant grumble at £4.29:D

well goes to show dont believe everything you read!! i checked today and i dont have the heating elements in my seats so the idea of heated seats is of for the time being
sulk_pacing.gif

I wouldn't worry about it mate, just more stuff to go wrong I think,
You still got those green/black wheels on there?

i was actually looking forward to the heated seats for the winter!! i was going to simplify it so all i had was the switches my own loom and inline fuses. so the upkeep and maintenance would have been very minimal!!

and yes the wheels are still on there! and they still havent grown on me! + the fact i have curbed 2 of them:sad2: i really want some money so i can buy some winter/all weather tyres for the standard alloys so i can get rid of them tbh!

lol,

I think you should get some RS4 wheels, they look really smart, but maybe something different, everyone with a VAG car always get's VAG wheels, yes they look nice but I've seen it done too many times

lol,

I think you should get some RS4 wheels, they look really smart, but maybe something different, everyone with a VAG car always get's VAG wheels, yes they look nice but I've seen it done too many times

but the question has to be! how many times have you seen mk5 golf alloys on a leon???
not many at a guess? cause as soon as you buy a leon and you are after info on it, you will be directed to scn! where there way is the only way! no deviation from what is right!(obviously according to them) and mk5 golf alloys dont fit into there criteria so the lemmings listen and dont do what they feel like!
which is sad really cause i do believe the leon could be bettered than just a cupra r body kit, and vag wheels or the norm porsche, merc wheels!!!

i'll look out for devonmikeyboy then;)
just saw this pic on said site what do you recon
058.jpg

should i go for it:amuse:

i got two of these yesterday courtesy of ebay for £12:bigsmile:
DSC00195.jpg
tried it out today and they are great!!!
but they wont stay as covers. in the new year when i replace the worn seat base. i'll incorporate the heating elements into the seats and use the switches i bought. so i will have heated seats for less that £20
icon6.gif

Very good plan Stan. Wish I was that inventive, I just fork out ££££££'s lol.

cheers mate:bigsmile:
the lack of funds do lead us to try and do things on the cheap hopefully the end result will be just as good as oem

well i found the tb gasket i bought over a year ago in the garage last night. so with the car idling a little lumpy for a while now i thought i would give the tb a clean
before
DSC00196.jpg
DSC00197.jpg
after:bigsmile:
DSC00200.jpg
DSC00201.jpg
this has cured the lumpy idling so im happy:bigsmile:
also while doing a bit of cleaning i thought i may aswell do the dv to
DSC00199.jpg
so when i took it apart i realised im still on the green spring and with my car boosting over 20psi i should be using the stiffer yellow spring. so i grinded some washers to use as spacers
DSC00202-1.jpg

touch wood with the tb clean and dv spring tightened up this will be the end to my constant 17705 fault code

i also changed my spark plugs. embarrassingly this is something i have neglected, and havent done on my last few services and they really needed doing! sorry forgot to take pic but they where at the end of there life!!!

Good solution mate,
What plugs did you use?

Have you considered using water/meths injection to keep your intake clean?
cheers but i did nick the idea off forge they sell a spring kit with spacers so just thought id make my own (being cheap again:embarrest:)

just standard ngk plugs got them free from my mates uncle who had them in his car for a month or so before upgrading them

tbh i know nothing about water/meths injection its something i have never read into.
but i'll be honest here my intake pipes are really quite clean! i was really shocked how clean my pcv and pipework was, this is the reason i didnt remove it when i fitted the catch tank!
as for the tb i have no service history saying it has ever been cleaned so i dont think this is to bad for a near 11 year old car with 82 k on the clock:bigsmile:
702-my-leon-cupra-dsc00196.jpg

Last edited:

that is pretty clean mines was like that after 30k, need to do mines again along with checking for leaks as its seems to dump boost if you lift your foot even slightly in 1st also found something about the forge DV being slightly bigger it bends the vac hose to the top so this could be the cause as well.

Quick question how hard was the TIP to fit ? looking at trying to get one fitted in the next couple of weeks before i get round to mapping it.

that is pretty clean mines was like that after 30k, need to do mines again along with checking for leaks as its seems to dump boost if you lift your foot even slightly in 1st also found something about the forge DV being slightly bigger it bends the vac hose to the top so this could be the cause as well.

Quick question how hard was the TIP to fit ? looking at trying to get one fitted in the next couple of weeks before i get round to mapping it.

yep the top hose is tight which is the main reason i had it fitted in reverse for so long but i will look at it again cheers:bigsmile:

the tip isnt hard just a little awkward cause of its position as you can probably guess. i think it took me just over an hour to remove the old 1 and fit the new 1.

thats no so bad then i just need to order one up if its only an hour or so i should fit that in easily.

yeah i had a look today and noticed that my top line is near enough flat and also looks like its slightly melted on the top ! going to order up some vac line so its got a little bit of give to it

thats no so bad then i just need to order one up if its only an hour or so i should fit that in easily.

yeah i had a look today and noticed that my top line is near enough flat and also looks like its slightly melted on the top ! going to order up some vac line so its got a little bit of give to it

some you have to trim but the forge 1 i got didnt need any trimming at all;)

as for the top hose on the dv i will change that when i try the n249 bypass

with finishing work early today i thought i would get the bits for the n249 bypass, so first stop halfrauds but noooo im not paying £15 for a meter of 4mm hose, so popped over to b&q see if they had any no luck over there either.
so i rang my mate and he suggested a place just round the corner so popped there. and he gave me a meter of hose free he said it wasnt worth charging:bigsmile: but he didnt have the t piece i needed so rang my mate back and he suggested another place just round another corner:amuse: so i went there sadly he didnt have 1 either but he suggested another place. so he explained where iit was and as i was just about to leave. he insisted on drawing me a diagram which made me chuckle cause he went in to proper detail (had to take a pic:D)
DSC00209.jpg
so i get to this place and they tell me they dont stock them but they can make me 1. i asked how much and he said £3 so i though i dont have to look pretty cause it will be hidden so £3 later
DSC00208.jpg
it took my about 30 mins to do the bypass! i'll see if its made any difference tomorrow

and on a + side i have found another boost leak:bigsmile:

Last edited:
some inspiration came my way today:bigsmile:
saw this pic and i like the black and white theme not to keen on the blue hoses so will stick with black
IMG00329-20091025-1020.jpg

but this has also inspired a wheel colour change
nod.gif

i like cheap and effective styling:amuse:

Yes that does look good, your right about the pipes, black pipes would make it look neater.

I take it your going for white wheels now? :bigsmile:
first though was keep the main part of the wheels black and do white inserts,
but now im thinking will white wheels with black inserts look good???
mmmm decisions decisions:confused:

White wall tyres....

Would look quite odd on that car, how ever the white wheels are a good idea.

If it was me personally I would go for white wheels and black "hoops" on your wheels if you get what I mean. then possibly some other white exterior bits

White wall tyres....

Would look quite odd on that car, how ever the white wheels are a good idea.

If it was me personally I would go for white wheels and black "hoops" on your wheels if you get what I mean. then possibly some other white exterior bits
well at some point this year the wheels will get another refurb still undecided which way round im going to do them yet (but they will definitely be black and white) then become my winter wheels cause of how good the tyres have been in the snow and ice. but hopefully summertime i will be doing a wheel change:bigsmile:

little update i received my new wishbones today so the plan is fit these and use the old ones and refurb/polybush them. then swap them back over then sell the nearly new wishbones and make some money back:bigsmile:

im so glad i did buy the wishbones cause as suspected i have bought the wrong size bush 45mm instead of the 30mm:sad2:
DSC00251.jpg
so i will be cheeky and ask if i can exchange them (even though its been way over a year since purchase:embarrest:)

also need a little advice on the rear wishbone bush
DSC00253.jpg
if you can tell from the pic?? 1 side of the bush is wider than the other so which way do they go in the wider edge at the top or bottom??

and to add things should progress with the car more alot more this year being in a full time job and on price:D dont be surprised if a new turbo is installed before the year is out;)

Nice stuff,

You can't see a lot in those picture so I can't really say much on the rear wishbone thing. I would have thought though that the wide part goes on top.