Why? What is the point?

bigbadjoe

Pro Tuner
Car
Evo 8 @ 400bhp
Now a few years ago, after they started appearing in some race series, some of the top manufactures started putting rear diffusers on there cars. They started appearing on Ferraris and AMG Merc's and Lambo's. Fine. Nothing wrong with that, help handling and cornering at high speed.
But why on earth have they started putting them on lower budget cars. I kid you not, I have seen them on Ford Fiesta's (not even the ST model) Vauxhalls and pugs. And believe it or not, and I am not telling fibs, I saw one on a kia hatchback thing!!!!!

This has to be for styling perperses only. As I can see no point to them what so ever. They will never be able to corner fast enough to get a use out of them. The manufactures should have spent the money on putting these on on more worthwhile things like

1 - Preventing Understeer
2 - Breaking
3 - Anti Lock breaks
4 - Traction Control
5 - Making the cup holders fit a large Mc Cup.

I don't know why, but it annoys me. Especially when the driver says look what I have got, it helps me go around corners faster!

Interestingly some of these diffusers actually help improve fuel economy! :eek:

I know most of these special edition mods are for looks only. Why would anyone need a wing on a car that travels at speeds under 80mph all the time.

ABS should be a standard fit on all cars. Understeer is actually built in and viewed as safer than oversteer so I doubt manufacturers will move on that.

Interestingly some of these diffusers actually help improve fuel economy! :eek:

? Like the ends of the wings on the new planes? somehow suspect that the additional drag on something small like this would negate the benefit.

Last edited by a moderator:
? Like the ends of the wings on the new planes? somehow suspect that the additional drag on something small like this would negate the benefit.

Vertical (or near vertical) wingtip extensions increase the lift generated at the wingtip (by smoothing out the airflow across the wing near the tip) and reduce drag caused by wingtip vortices. This also increases fuel efficiency so airline manufacturers aren't adding them for looks :)

my post wasnt to clear. my point was that on planes it does make a difference, believe about 5%, in regarsd to fuel saving, but on small cars travelling at max 70mph then just dont see the point or that any benefit would really be gained.

Well we mite as well ban all forms of modding cars there is very few places where you can use the power or speed !!!!! I have been messing with cars for more years than i care to remember its my hobby so i mod to suit me not anyone else so if its got a wing or spoiler and will only do 50mph who cares as long as everyone is happy.:toung::toung::toung:

Well we mite as well ban all forms of modding cars there is very few places where you can use the power or speed !!!!! I have been messing with cars for more years than i care to remember its my hobby so i mod to suit me not anyone else so if its got a wing or spoiler and will only do 50mph who cares as long as everyone is happy.:toung::toung::toung:

I was just about to say that! :)

Most body mods have no real purpose other than to please the owner, his mates or the show judges.

Most performance mods give little improvement as they are very often badly conceived and poorly executed, but as long as the modder is happy spending his money this way then good luck to him/her.

I have spent thousands on my car and all of my non-car friends (thankfully there aren't many) think I am nuts and they are probably right, but I am happy so yarboosucks to them :)

Yeah, I can see your point, then that is down to the owner to add it on, and have the mick taken accordingly. But its the manufactures adding these mods. Mind, who am I to say, I am just about to fork out £90 for a carbon firbre heat sheeld for my exhaust!