What is the point?

glabus

Torque Junkie
Car
fiesta zetec s1600
Whilst I was finishing this other quote reply re "Which lane correct?"
I was ready to have lunch. I started to watch TV (The Saint)
During the commercial breaks there were 4 ads concerning cars. One for the Land(range?)Rover Sport. It brought to mind a quote as "whats the point?"
Maybe HDI might be able to explain why the sensors that 'read' the road 500 times a second have any use other than adding to the cost of the car??!!
It seems that car designers, techies think up dozens of gadgetry that most, if not all;of us will never use.
What about the phone with 500000 apps and more novels/books than you can ever read etc etc.
Driving should be reasonably pleasurable. A business trip, unstressful.
How about YOUR takes on what you have/want/ do not ever use in the car??

We've got them on ours:p
My first encounter with them was on a hired fiesta in Jersey.
I found them disconcerting:confused:
I did not seem to be near any obstruction/s but the damn things were bipping at me:lol:
This led me to re-adjust position and it was easy to make it worse.
They are on this fiesta because, as a limited edition model you want to get the best/most extras model that is available.
Therefore as well as the sensors (rear only) we have electric folding mirrors and keyless entry.
I am getting used to the bips but my wife hasn't.
Because we live with a high (us) to low (neighbours') drives. When she comes home she leaves the car for me to bring in later. Though I could quite readily reverse in (ALWAYS!!) I now have formed the routine::embarrest:
Turn window control to rear to allow me to lower the mirror angle to see the road on driver side. Lower drivers' window (one press action) to allow for close vision if needed.
When road clear swing across road then start to line up with shrubbery on nearside using mirror. As I get near to the greenery the sensor/s go off! I basically ignore them and line up correctly with mirror vision. Bips continue until I take it out of reverse. Do I need them then ? NO not really:confused:
Parking sensors on small cars. If you need parking sensors on a Nissan Micra then you shouldnt be on the roads.

They're handy if you live in Hammersmith, for example, and need to squeeze the car into a gap that's about .00005mm longer than the car.

I don't, however. So I usually just ignore them. It's no substitute for looking.

mine has a few gadgets i like:bigsmile:
like the memory function on the seat i use my key and the seat and wing mirrors adjust to my preference. the mrs uses the spare key and the same, also with the memory function the near side wing mirror adjusts its self to point at the kurb when i put it in reverse.
another 1 but i added this the auto window reflex module basically its a total closure + wing mirrors add on for the standard alarm. it also allows me to open all the windows for those rare hot days we get to cool the leather down
nod.gif

but 1s i dont see the point of are the anti glare rear view mirror cause you still get the glare through the wing mirrors, and digital climate control i just dont see the point! give me the manual adjusters anyday!!

but 1 i would like is a rear view camera! and i have just started to look at what i will need to fit 1

I like the automatic anti glare mirrors very much indeed. Had these on the 406 and the BMW has them too.

i had the anti glare on the other bmw but not on this one. its proberly cause its older, even though its higher spec on this car. but in line with the thread, i like the anti glare. as for the range rover sport, i think the 500 times a second thing is just to say when your in the company of people who go . . . . .
MINES BETTER THAN YOURS.....
thank god i dont meet to many of these people anymore.;)

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I even said it to the woman. (Although she doesn't drive) Neither of us had a clue. Why read the road 500 times a second, and secondly, why have it on an OFF ROAD vehicle??????????? :confused:

You might understand if Mec's used it or maby BMW's, but come on, Land Rover? Thats like putting rear seats in a smart car!

the parking sensor device really bugs me, have the same issue a some others but the handbook is all in Vietnamese and have no idea how to turn it off. It continually says i've reversed into somethnig and still a good couple of inches away from the object, annoying. the other odd thing on the mondeo is that an elf sneeks into the car and adjusts the electric wing mirrors all the time whenever i leave the car - the things aer never in the same place that i've left them.

the parking sensor device really bugs me, have the same issue a some others but the handbook is all in Vietnamese and have no idea how to turn it off. It continually says i've reversed into somethnig and still a good couple of inches away from the object, annoying. the other odd thing on the mondeo is that an elf sneeks into the car and adjusts the electric wing mirrors all the time whenever i leave the car - the things aer never in the same place that i've left them.

do they fold in when you lock the car ? i found when i folded my mirrors in on my beamer they never go back to the way i had them and am constantly correcting them afterwards.
not a problem anymore as i have my own drive now. lol