Harness 5/6 point

clarkey1984

Wrench Pro
Car
Ford st
Hey thinking of fitting a set of harness in my car which is used for various uses ,

What are your views on 5/6 point harness ?
Are that comfortable to wear?
How do you find having a strap/straps coming up between your legs?
are the straight forward to put on ?

Cheers

Not sure a harness would be road legal in the UK unless it is BS or E marked and approved.

They are annoying on a daily driven car and I find them extremely uncomfortable on long journeys even with the padded sections added.

You do get used to putting them on but expect every new passenger in your car to require extensive training to get in and out of one, some people pick it up easily but most IMO struggle with them.

Cheers for your reply, so what type of harness do you have ? Do you mean the shoulder harness padding or padding on the crotch belt ? So have you had to help or strap your passenger in before know ?

actual seat belt rule for cars after 1987 from the government website

There is no specific description of a seat belt other than that the system needs to be stamped E or BS for use as a seat belt

Only real belt rule
(1) System must have both lap restraint and diagonal restraint.

Install
Technically all mounting points need to be secured properly to points designated by manufacturer or similar - a roll bar or cage etc counts as long as it is properly secured and belts work as (1)

Nothing said about release mechanism - it does not have to have inertia belts.

So harnesses which have diagonal and lap restraint are legal as long as stamped . If it doesnt have an "E" stamp but does have a BS number which has an "up to a date" after that the belts wont be technically legal.

I have a 3 point one fitted to the drivers side and the rear part is attached to an inertia type unit that bolts to an anchorage point, best of both worlds in my opinion.

Not sure a harness would be road legal in the UK unless it is BS or E marked and approved.

They are annoying on a daily driven car and I find them extremely uncomfortable on long journeys even with the padded sections added.

You do get used to putting them on but expect every new passenger in your car to require extensive training to get in and out of one, some people pick it up easily but most IMO struggle with them.
Thank you . So have you had to help passenger get there harness on etc ?

I have a 3 point one fitted to the drivers side and the rear part is attached to an inertia type unit that bolts to an anchorage point, best of both worlds in my opinion.

IMO that type may be fine in a road driven car no serious track car will have a retractable mechanism as it would be unable to hold one firmly in place on a track day due to the slight take up before locking. Just test the shoulder strap on the factory 3 pointer and see how far you will move forward in a crash before they lock.

A harness in a road car would be a PITA as they would need constant adjusting to fit a wide range of body types and people unfamiliar with them. Hope you don't moonlight as a Uber driver.

They are illegal over here and that is why the factory 3 pointers are still in place in my track car that is still registered.

PS as Sleeper said there is a requirement for "a DIAGONAL STRAP" so it would appear that a harness doesn't comply.

depends on what you call diagonal as that is a very "loose" description . i think the exact wording was diagonal shoulder strap.
by my understanding , and the tester that motd the car my 4 point has a lap and two diagonal straps over the shoulders .