Prison sentance for point swapping

admin

Administrator
Staff member
If you are in the UK you'll know the story, if not here it is....

Woman takes husbands speeding points and penalty for him, they separate, she tells on her husband. It all goes to court and they both get done for perverting the course of justice and are awaiting a custodial sentence

What sentence would you hand down for this crime of taking penalty points for another driver?

I agree with TN on the basis that they are politically active people. I do think however that this particular situation has got out of all proportion. Neither should be given a custodial sentence.

Agree with both TN & HDi, both should be made an example off being in the public eye political figures; but a custodial sentence is a step to far in this instance IMO.

Well looking at just how widespread this practice is TN I cannot see it serving any real purpose here. I think a huge fine and a suspended sentence would be the way to go here. Their names have already been dragged through the media circus along with that of their family who were blissfully unaware of the antics of the spineless cretin, and all because he was not man enough to take some silly penalty points. I personally would like to see the end of this sorry saga and watch some real news instead.

I have to disagree buddy. If Joe public can be sentenced to custody then why shouldn't these pair?
Granted he committed the initial crime but she obviously went along with the idea of taking the points.
They both tried to cover it up for all these years.
For me it doesn't look good when it's the government that make these laws in the first place.
If you commit the crime be prepared to do the time imo.
Suspended sentences are pathetic imo and that's one of the biggest reasons people re offend.

My point is that Joe Public shouldn't be sentenced to custody either, given that the offence is only worth 3 points and £60.

I think Contempt of Court and ATTEMPTING to Pervert the Course of Justice (as opposed to actually doing so) is worth four years max. Not life.

And given a SP30 FP notice is simply worth 3pts & sixty quid I do think custody is extreme.

But she has lied in court, which is perjury and could be dealt with harshly. He retracted his not guilty plea at the 11th hour tho this was prior to the previous hearing which spectacularly collapsed.

But they should both receive criminal records and be publicly humiliated

Last edited:
She took his points and fine.
The speeding is not the issue here. They are up for perverting the course of justice which the cps deem a serious offence.
I don't agree that it can carry life but if Joe public is likely to receive a custodial sentence then to make the point they should imo receive a prison sentence and serve it.

I do see where your coming from TN, we are both entitled to our opinions be they right or be they wrong! At the end of the day justice in the eyes of those in authority will have to suffice here, and though we may not always agree with their decisions we should certainly abide by them. :)

If anything she's gonna get the book thrown at her because she HAS actually lied under oath it appears. Chris hasn't.

Let's see what happens. If nothing else it'll maybe discourage many other separating couples from abusing the law to make a point and damage or destroy their ex