what focus to buy

R

RSkeirsy

what would u say is the best mk1 focus to buy (except rs model as its not inmy pricerange sadly)

focus 1.6 16v zetec or 1.8 16v zetec or 1.8 16v ghia or the 2.0 zetec

In all seriousness unless you can afford an ST you're far better off getting the 115bhp diesel. We have one. As standard it has as much bhp as the 1.8 petrol but far more torque, and as it isn't boosted too much as standard it's quite linear in its power delivery. Plus you'll see well over 45mpg on average. When we went to buy it we were originally going for a 2.0 petrol and the dealer persuaded us to test drive the diesel also and it was much nicer.

Ours is a Ghia, it has electric windows all round, 6-cd player, heated front screen. Only thing it doesnt have is cruise, and if you want cruise in a Mk 1 I recommend you buy a car with it already fitted, as retrofitting it to the mark 1 is difficult and expensive these days.

The last argument I'll give you for getting the diesel is that a 300 quid remap will get you 150bhp and 260 lb ft.

Cheers

guy

I'd have to agree with Yugguy. Mk1 1.8 TDCI is a pretty good all-rounder, and the Sport version is avaliable too.

Steer clear of the ST170, thirsty as hell and long gearing plus the Mk1's weight makes it a very slow "warm" hatch. Good engines just underpowered and geared wrongly.