Too many focus on power

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
When upgrading a car is it fair to say that most people are solely focussed on power?

They look at power upgrades and torque improvements instead of looking at the handling and braking which are important parts of any tuning project?

Do you fall into this trap yourself? How much effort have you put into improving the cars handling and braking?

Power gains are cheap and easy especially with turbocharged cars - a simple remap yields impressive gains. Everything else takes a lot more skill to get it right. It's very easy to take a sweetly handling Mondeo ST and turn it into an uncomfortable and uncompromising beast with all the ride and handling attributes of a nylon wheeled trolley jack.

Depends on the car to start with, some have a very good set-up from the factory and can take power mods within reason without it upsetting the handling or braking.

I carried out breathing mods and a remap and the cars handling and braking were more than adequate for fast road use. However on track it did need improving to get the best out of it. So I have upgraded the suspension with adjustable coilovers, polybushed the anti-roll bars and lower control arms. I have also fitted adjustable front and rear arms so I can again set up the suspension to suit the track and feel but not too far from standard as it is pretty good base to start from, so just small changes. Up front I have 4 pot calipers, larger discs and DS2500 pads to bring it to a halt much faster, rears have upgraded pads and running higher temp fluid. Then there's the tyres, no good having the mechanics if the grip isn't there to use it and keep it on the black stuff!

For me I know my car will never be the fastest on track but it is quick through the twisty bits and that is where the fun is. Pretty sure most of us have watched the Goodwood Revival meeting and similar racing series where the Mini's, A35 & A40s whip the Jags and Falcons!

Of course the car makes a difference but I doubt there are too many cars that can safely take another 100bhp and be properly safe without other upgrades

Looking at large cars eg. E Class / BMW 5 Series size things, for example) I think that the stock chassis and brakes are more than up to the job. No one would claim a 520i is underbraked or lacking roadholding finesse.

Then of course as it was designed for the more powerful 5s it will be fine with the lower power models.

Add 100bhp to the 530i power and I presume you are probably into m5 territory and I seem to remember that had a few upgrades.