Mk1 Focus RS Progress

MasterAuron

Very Senior Member
Car
Mk1 Focus RS
Recently had the car back from Spec-R down in Wiltshire after having a new Garrett cored air-to-air intercooler system made up on the car:

(Ignore the parcel tape; long story, fog light lens back in now)

Over the moon with the design, performance and workmanship on the system. Couldn't recommend Spec-R enough but you may have to wait a while as Pete is always in demand!

Then....it was off down to Sabre in Bristol for a week so they could make some changes and live map it. 630cc injectors were fitted, then a new 4" MAF. With the exhaust at only 2.75", the tiny turbo at its efficient limits and standard internals, a decision were made to tune it down a couple of times from the 392bhp it originally made. Oh and the car gets somewhat of a hard time :embarrest::lol::lol:

So, the final figures came in at 379bhp and 359lbft at 25psi peak and 30 degree C ambient temps!

Everything was seen to in the mapping inc. idle, transient and part throttle. With the 4" MAF the car can best make use of all that air being sucked in and the car is so much nicer to drive on the whole and a lot more economical. When you want to go the torque is always there, it's practically lagless and it's a lot smoother and more driveable now, fights you less and with maximum grip in 3rd and 4th especially the car pulls relentlessly. All four channels on the boost controller are mapped at different increments too, but I mostly just use the top one :lol:

That's progress so far. Now the chargecooler system is gone I'm hoping I'm even closer to my goal of getting the car under 1200kgs without going too mental. It should be around 1210 now I'm guessing so when I change the passenger seat for a Recaro Pole Position too I should be there.

Finally a project thread for the RS! A few of my friends have the MK1's and I love them to bits. 359Ibft is pretty impressive from the standard turbo! What can these engines take on standard internals?

Last edited: