Tyres going off

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Have you noticed how much tyres go off as the tread wears down? I'd say that at 3mm they are noticably worse than when they are new.

Perhaps as performance drivers we should be replacing our tyres a little more often, but at current prices I can't see this happening to be honest.

How much does a set of tyres cost you? My A3 runs at about £350 for a decent set which is actually pretty good.

Four Yoko AD08s in 225/40/18 were £580 delivered before the VAT rise IIRC.

Four 16" Conti Sport Contact 2's for the Fiesta were about £240 delivered I think.

Tyre rubber compounds do deteriorate even if they're not worn by use. This is less of a problem now than it was, let's say, 10 years ago. The biochemists have helped enormously with this one.

Many tyre makers use dual compounds now. Basically, as the tyre wears, a softer and gripper compound is used to make it gripper in the wet to compensate for the reduced tread depth.

I usually change my tyres when they get below about 4mm, this is a sensible level of tread to cope with general driving in England. The legal minimum of 1.6mm and only across 3/4 of the width is ridiculous and dangerous.

Further, someone who leaves their tyres to the last 1/20 of a millimeter or legal tread (many leave it 'til the steel carcass is visible) is unlikely to look after their car anyway, nor care about their driving.

Last edited:
£1000 give or take a few pennies for Michelin Pilot 2 XL 245/35R19<|B> 93YL due in April after my track day in March no doubt :)

:bigsmile: I don't ask!!

I have a choice. Buy my Toyo Proxies from the garage costing me about a grand, or buy them off a trader who had loads of jap tyres imported for £500.

Im sure the guy does. He sells tyres for a living.

:bigsmile: I don't ask!!

I have a choice. Buy my Toyo Proxies from the garage costing me about a grand, or buy them off a trader who had loads of jap tyres imported for £500.

Im sure the guy does. He sells tyres for a living.

My apologies BBJ :embarrest: I thought that you personally had imported the tyres at that price that's why I asked about taxes.
I bought some car parts from the states recently, and the price was really good, until our customs chaps added their bit along with Royalmail delivery charges! not such a good deal after all in the end :(

My apologies BBJ :embarrest: I thought that you personally had imported the tyres at that price that's why I asked about taxes.
I bought some car parts from the states recently, and the price was really good, until our customs chaps added their bit along with Royalmail delivery charges! not such a good deal after all in the end :(

Yeah, I know what you mean. I looked at getting a set of Brian Crower 272 cams imported. In the UK the standard price is arround £400 for a set. Saw some over there for $400 with free delivery world wide. But once there online calc thing did its bit, and worked out the tax, there was no point. :sad2:

My yokohama's cost £40 a corner, so for a full set it's £160+ £20 fitting at my local tyre place so £180 all in!
Those are 195/50/15's I did want to use 205/50/15 but the price hike was rediculas!
£40 for 195's and £60 for the 205's! for 10 mm extra tread? NO THANKS! I doubt I'd ever notice the difference.

I've never worn a set of tyres down to the legal limit.. as HDI says they just become dangerous and the lack of grip starts to wind me up too. Costs me £180 + VAT per corner to kit out the RS4. I'm lucky in that it wears all four tyres at a similar rate. My R36 used to get through at least 2-3 sets of fronts per set of rears.