What is shaving tyres? Does it improve performance

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
I've heard people talk about shaving tyres, they seem to do it to new tyres but I don't know what this actually means or if it improves the cars performance at all?

Is it about reducing the weight? Isn't that dangerous?

Shaving tyres is mainly for semi slick track tyres as the reduced tread depth reduces the tread squirming that also leads to heat build up and can in some cases lead to longer tyre life.

So what's the difference between buying partly worn tyres and shaving them? Isn't the end result the same?

So what's the difference between buying partly worn tyres and shaving them? Isn't the end result the same?

I guess that the end result would be somewhat similar BUT 1/2 worn tyres would have been thru many heat cycles that over time harden the tread compound so the grip level will be lower than new shaved tyres which is the main factor in shaving new tyres used exclusively for track work when one is trying to get lower lap times.

The tread squirm occurs much more when the tyres are being pushed at a track than normal road tyres on a DD car.

Shaving tyres is not for normally driven road cars used for commuting where one usually is wanting a long life hi mileage before they need replacing.

You get the best grip at around 3mm as @TCJBOLDIE explains, heat build up is a problem, so shaving off the tread to that depth makes sense.

Strangely a shaved tyre to 3mm can last longer than a brand new 6mm when used in anger on a track due to heat build up. The tyre will actually start to deform and the top layer will shred slightly causing a bubble/ripplys surface which is not great for grip.

Part worns are often used on track days, but you never know what you're getting. Some part worn tyres may have kerb damage or flat spots from heavy braking.

It's better to fit new tyres about 6 months before a track day, and when you get to your track day they are at the optimum tread depth, plus you've had use of them and you know what condition they are in.