Surviving and avoiding traffic jams

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What causes traffic jams? "Jam Busters" Traffic jams are becoming a regular part of urban life. Initially city dwellers were blighted by the traffic jam. With the increase in car ownership this has spread to many other urban areas, including formerly free running highways and motorways, particularly at peak times. TorqueCars will look at some […]

Continue reading...

Personally, I don't believe 'rubber neckers' are the problem. Whenever you see something unusual on the highway the automatic reaction is to ease off slightly. You may then look at what is happening (a natural thing to do) but you have already slowed down.

This is a brilliant visual explanation of what happens when someone brakes:

http://www.newscientist.com/article...am-recreated-for-first-time.html#.VITA-WfNp8E

Domino effect, it only takes one driver to upset the status quo and they all follow, it's what comes with driving too close and not having the room to slow down by backing off the gas briefly instead of using your brakes to slow abruptly. It doesn't help when you get lane changers jumping into ones braking distance or those indicating to change lanes when there isn't room for them to do so, thus forcing you into braking.

If only the all anticipated!

In countries where cruise control is standard or very common the traffic tends to flow quite well.

America for one seems to have loads of cars equipped with automatic cruise control, you'll notice that on the highways most maintain a very precise speed.

Didn't notice that in August. 6 lanes with constant lane changing in Anaheim and Las Vegas. May be different elsewhere.

Besides, cruise control is over ridden when someone brakes for whatever reason and everyone else has to do the same.

I must admit I have found the driving in the states to be very good with constant speeds maintained. However the likes of LA and other places where there is heavy flow is no different to ours. I've driven through Baltimore, Washington DC to name two busy areas and found it bearable, even at peak times.

I can't see cruise control being the reason for constant speeds. Even if everyone tried to set the control to, say, 50mph there would be variations so cars would still be travellnig at different speeds requiring drivers to constantly adjust by braking which cancels the CC. Or am I missing something?

I rarely used cruise control over there. Probably a case of driving by ear as most have the same engine! They do drive alot slower than we do, cars slower to respond to speed increases and slower to react when off the throttle. Stick shift being rare too.