Avoiding road rage.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What sort of things trigger road rage? It is something we have all experienced at one time or another and either been on the receiving end of it or dishing it out ourselves. Many road users report horrific and scary incidents involving road rage.

When we get into our cars we enjoy our freedom, the space inside the car is ours and we expect to be able to go where we want to when we want. If there is some external obsticle infringing on our freedom we may start to get frustrated. Anger is the human response to stress and some people control stress better than others. We obviously need to be more tolerant of other road users and forgiving of their mistakes. Good anticipation will allow us to avoid many pitfalls that can create problems for other motorists.

To avoid becoming a victim of road rage.
Drive considerately, letting other drivers join the traffic flow where safe to do so. Avoid erratic driving, frequent changing of lanes and sudden changes of speed. Anthing that draws attention to yourself potentially makes you a victim for road rage. Even driving a flashy or agressive looking car can create an angry response from other drivers where a normal looking car would have been largely ignored. Never drive at a speed substantially higher than the other motorists around you. Never block another car joining the traffic flow or cut into a traffic lane at the last possible minute. Avoid cutting up other drivers or causing them to take evasive action.

Avoid following the car in front too closely - remember that need for personal space still applies when we are in a car. Only overtake when it is safe to do so as cutting in at the last minute or causing the car we are overtaking to take evasive action are major precursors to road rage incidents.

If you have done something silly raise a palm as an apology and that often diffuses the anger of the car behind.

You may drive a car that is playing up and unable to maintain a steady speed, so pulling over and letting cars pass you will prevent the frustration and anger from building up. This includes the drivers of agricultural machinery and caravan drivers.

Have you ever been a victim or perpetrator of road rage? What happened? What do you think are the main causes of road rage?

i can offer a few recent examples:

wednesday i was following my partner in an area which i dont know during rush hour. our route took us on a dual carriageway which merges into one single lane. and always you get muppets trying to speed down and cut in. i had a 206 try and cut in between me and my partner who was in front, i did my part by following my partner closely, while the 206 pushed closer to my car, then shouted abuse out the window at me! it got to the point where the car wouldnt slow down and cut in behind me and he was driving on the wrong side of the road and eventually i had to give way. when he looked in his rear view i applauded. and by the way you know who you are and if you are reading this: you are a c*** and i ended up in south normanton. thanks.

well what can you expect? another thing which builds up some frustration inside:

when you are at a t junction and there is a queue of traffic and the bloke in his company car speeds up to block you, which makes me wind down my window and very calmly :wink: ask him where he thinks he's going? he's now blocking me, but he suddenly has tunnel vision.

notice how it's always a 'he' women are generally much more kind :p

It doesn't bother me much what other drivers do. I just think what an idiot rather than getting all narked up about them.

1) All ways drive in a bit agrressive manner to put off any over-smart guy.
2) Don't brake hard, change directions etc suddenly so that it gives shock / low reaction time to the other.

Last edited:
davevm: seems i am an unenducated person then. hate to differ but fully disagree with you on point 1. The fact that i am enducated and do get road-rage from the deliberate action from others is regretfully just the way i, am educated person, am.
Point 2 i fully engage and point 3 agree.

davem surely road rage cannot be compared to your level of education? My 50 year old mother has no qualifications and does not get wound up at other drivers. I, myself, have many higher education qualifications and DO get wound up.

Unless you are referring to educated driving, in which case (using the same example) my mother has a simple driving license. I have both a car and bike license and a pass plus (don't you know). I am still a more aggressive driver and react badly to people being inconsiderate / intentionally annoying and/or generally sh*t drivers.

Points 2 and 3 i agree with dpsubaru and fully accept them as a generally good idea.

Level's of education have nothing to do with road rage, if someone else is driving like an utter tit LET THEM KNOW or they will never even think what they are doing is wrong.

Prime example I was driving home in a 7 seater galaxy whilst in a 40 zone doing 40 to the dot I had an idiot litterally 1ft away from my rear bumper, he then tried to pull out without looking and almost had a head on collision with another vehicle.

So then he gets even closer which I did not think was possible so I just slow down the closer he gets eventually doing 20mph he backs off.

The one thing I really can't stand (thinking of 7 seater galaxy's) is when you see some tool overtaking 5 cars in a row at 80mph in a 40 zone then see the 'baby on board' sticker in the window.

These people should be killed. 'Nuff Said.

EDIT: Btw I'm not implying galaxy drivers are nobs, just that 7 seats usually = having kids. No offence intended ez64!

Last edited:
my buddie moans and gives out constenly, even if the driver in front is doing nothing wrong, hed still shout abuse like, look at the state of your car you old bastard, why dont you get a wheelchair

i mean i find it hillarious, but it just shows what kind of nutjobs are out there

having road rage sorts nothing,only adds to your problems and stress levels

1) Any educated person will not show or tolerate road rage.

Rofl_16.gif
Rofl_16.gif
Rofl_16.gif

sorry mate but wife works up at the hospital and coming finishing time the queues are major - i have sat in the carpark for close to an hour to get out and i now the shortcuts once im out -but the doctors are the ones that blast horns and shout/swear at the traffic. now ive only got 8 standard grades (gcses for yous in england) and 5 highers ( a levels) i will sit there no problem

EDIT: Btw I'm not implying galaxy drivers are nobs, just that 7 seats usually = having kids. No offence intended ez64!

Dont worry I would not drive a ford galaxy intentionally but at the moment it's my (parents) cheap run around until I fix the XJS that I prefer driving over my brothers 106 :)

Well some would say that I am highly educated, yet still the red mist descends when someone does something silly in front of me! :sad2:

Tolerance comes in many levels and I am glad to say that I have mellowed somewhat from my youthful days of wanting to rip some guys head off for cutting across me! :embarrest:

Patience now "for me anyway!" comes with my more maturing self! although I do get annoyed, I try not to let it show through anything other than a hand gesture to the miscreant! and by that I mean, a hand clap or a thumbs up! when the driver in front is looking at me through their rear view mirror! :)

Incompetence... I hate it. I have gotten so angry at people for being stupid its unreal.

Not just in cars and driving but in everyday life, if someone doesn't do their best to help me, I will give them a verbal *#*#*#*# storm. I made a woman cry once... :lol: I do it, day in day out, helping people and going out my way to be as good at what I do as I can to be more helpful.

What I hate the most when driving is 90% of people pull out at junctions cutting me up in such urgency, then slow right down!??!?! URGH!!!!