Avoiding accidents

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Have you ever avoided an accident solely due to your driving experience and skills?

Tell us about your near misses so we can all learn from then.

I was taught to drive VERY fast by Jon Aleisi, ( sorry if i spelt his name wrong), when i worked for Ferrarri,,look throught the cars in front & watch for break lights ( about 300 yds), i did & still do ,,,no rear enders yet,,,famous last words,,,,

Probably many hundreds but in a passive way rather than an active way.

Defensive driving is a better ally than razor sharp reflexes and generally lets you cover journeys rapidly without necessarily driving 'fast'.

Perception,anticipation, AND ATTITUDE are good attributes.

Probably many hundreds but in a passive way rather than an active way.

Defensive driving is a better ally than razor sharp reflexes and generally lets you cover journeys rapidly without necessarily driving 'fast'.

Perception,anticipation, AND ATTITUDE are good attributes.

Could not agree more :D
As HDI says one can often arrive safely at their destination "faster" by reading the traffic and being more situationaly aware.

I was taught to drive VERY fast by Jon Aleisi, ( sorry if i spelt his name wrong), when i worked for Ferrarri,,look throught the cars in front & watch for break lights ( about 300 yds), i did & still do ,,,no rear enders yet,,,famous last words,,,,

I recommend looking ahead as far as possible and yes looking thru cars etc where possible ( vans trucks etd will severely reduce your line of sight) to see brake ;) lights BUT WOULD NOT like to put my life on the line relying that every cars brake lights are working.

Just look further than the end of your bonnet. I've lost count of the amount of hazards I notice up the road that seem to come as a total surprise to the car in front.

Just look further than the end of your bonnet. I've lost count of the amount of hazards I notice up the road that seem to come as a total surprise to the car in front.

I second that.
Also full agreement with HDI.

Glad I am not the only one, But surely its common sense to look a few cars ahead of you? I tend to let off the throttle if I see brake lights up ahead, then progressively slow down. Doesn't happen as often as I'd like though, as there is always some fool who slams on his brakes regardless of distance.

I do try not to generalise but I agree that vans are often guilty of this. As far as German cars go I find drivers of older 3 series BMW Coupe model to be guilty of tailgating. Usually always a one-point model (ie small 4 cylinder engine).

My first BMW. By Tomy :-D

I do try not to generalise but I agree that vans are often guilty of this. As far as German cars go I find drivers of older 3 series BMW Coupe model to be guilty of tailgating. Usually always a one-point model (ie small 4 cylinder engine).

My first BMW. By Tomy :-D

I don't like to generalise either, but it's easier instead of trying to work out an exact percentage. :lol:

1 Series drivers are quite bad....

Could have easily been the lead car in a rear ender yesterday as I could have easily stopped when the light turned amber BUT no way the 3 ton pantec that was tailgating me could have ,so drove thru the amber light.

Not only do you need to look ahead but you need to be aware of whats behind and on both sides as well

Took the number and reported it to the transport coy's manager.

Road rules reminder for those who need it .The AMBER/YELLOW/ORANGE light is the start of the RED cycle and NOT an extension of the GREEN cycle and one must stop if safe to do so.

Last edited:
I've occasionally gone through on red (with appropriate observation) to make way for reponse vehicles. If you're gonna do this you need to consider that if you cause an accident you will likely be automatically held responsible.

The basic premise (and trained response drivers will concur with me mere) is to approach slowly and make yourself extremely visible. Do NOT approach like an exocet missle. Proceed only when you're happy other vehicles are aware of your presence and intention.

I've gone through a red light many a times to let emergency vehicles through. And because it made me block other traffic I've followed them after they've passed to clear the way for other traffic.
I've even done it for my sister, who is a paramedic.
Observation is key if we are talking about avoiding accidents.
Common sense plays a big part too in my opinion.