Stickiest Road Legal Tyres

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
I am looking for the stickiest road legal (in the UK) tyre, money no object.

They will only be used in the dry, so wet performance is irrelevant. However, they need to retain their performance for longer than a couple of laps.

They have to be available in 17" and 245/255mm wide with an aspect ratio of 35-40.

What does the panel think?

Yoko A048R is what my mate in Malta nad all his mates use for the hillclimbing. I hear only good things about these. Get them in Super Soft if you don't plan to do many miles and you're in for some proper grip aye!

I am looking for the stickiest road legal (in the UK) tyre, money no object.

They will only be used in the dry, so wet performance is irrelevant. However, they need to retain their performance for longer than a couple of laps.

They have to be available in 17" and 245/255mm wide with an aspect ratio of 35-40.

What does the panel think?

OK, good information. Obviously (you know this anyway) to be road legal the tyre will still have to have some basic tread.

Michelin makes these:

http://www.michelin.co.uk/michelinuk/en/car-4x4-van/advantages/20070312100261.html

To my non-expert mind they seem to be as close as one can get to dry track (only) tyres which can still be used legally on the drive home (assuming there's any tread left, that is :) ).

Other than that a lot of people have reported good results with Goodyear's F1-GSD3. I have no experience of either.

Am I right in saying that different compounds suit different events according to ambient temperature and event type?

Am I right in saying that different compounds suit different events according to ambient temperature and event type?

Yes, but far too technical for me at the moment. I am looking, initially, just for 'off the line' stickiness :)

I haven't tried those michelin's but my Focus has some Primacy's and in the dry they are absolutely outstanding. Now I know that they are a totally different tyre to the one HDI has pointed out but mine are for everyday all weather road use and i've given them 21 odd thousands miles of abuse and the drivers side front is a few mm away from being illegal. But for an every day tyre I think thats pretty good going. Even as it is now it still offers loads of grip.
So IMO the performance tyre must be worth a go.

If this is for drag events in the Elan then why not get 2 slicks for the rear wheels and just change them over to get home?

I haven't tried those michelin's but my Focus has some Primacy's and in the dry they are absolutely outstanding. Now I know that they are a totally different tyre to the one HDI has pointed out but mine are for everyday all weather road use and i've given them 21 odd thousands miles of abuse and the drivers side front is a few mm away from being illegal. But for an every day tyre I think thats pretty good going. Even as it is now it still offers loads of grip.
So IMO the performance tyre must be worth a go.

A good tyre for all round performance, as you state TN, but that is not what I am looking for :)

I am not at all interested in wet conditions, as the car won't be used other than in the dry.

Purely interested in grip in the dry. I am not interestred in wet performance, comfort, economy or lifespan.

A good tyre for all round performance, as you state TN, but that is not what I am looking for :)

I am not at all interested in wet conditions, as the car won't be used other than in the dry.

Purely interested in grip in the dry. I am not interestred in wet performance, comfort, economy or lifespan.

I'll take a look at this in more detail. It's not all that rare to find track day remoulds for this purpose. Enough tread to meet road legislation to get you to and from the event, but a soft and grippy compound that will probably be shot after the race.

Such a tyre will get you home legally, and safely enough (obviously with some restraint) after the event but that's end of life for those tyres.

Do the tyres have to road legal for:

a: travelling to and from the event, or,

b: to qualify for actual entry into the event?

If only (a) applies then you can get round it by towing the car on a dolly or trailer to and from the event. Fit any track tyres you like in that case. AFAIK, if the driven wheels are not on the road surface then you are not flouting construction and usage regulationsby towing with a dolly.

If (b) applies, whether alone, or in conjunction with (a) then the Michelin Cup is likely to be one of few choices which is road legal. Michelin does point out that it is a track tyre which is just about adequate to achieve minimal road legal classification.

There must be other tyre makers who have addressed the same dilemma.

Let's all have a look about and see what's on offer.

I have a set of (soft) Toyo R888's & I think their rather good but, I've never used anything else so couldn't make a comparison. :embarrest:

If this is for drag events in the Elan then why not get 2 slicks for the rear wheels and just change them over to get home?

For events such as TOTB and street class drag racing the car has to be road legal.

I will have slicks for sprints and test & tune days.

The car will be trailered to events.

I'll take a look at this in more detail. It's not all that rare to find track day remoulds for this purpose. Enough tread to meet road legislation to get you to and from the event, but a soft and grippy compound that will probably be shot after the race.

Such a tyre will get you home legally, and safely enough (obviously with some restraint) after the event but that's end of life for those tyres.

Do the tyres have to road legal for:
a: travelling to and from the event, or,
b: to qualify for actual entry into the event?

If only (a) applies then you can get round it by towing the car on a dolly or trailer to and from the event. Fit any track tyres you like in that case. AFAIK, if the driven wheels are not on the road surface then you are not flouting construction and usage regulationsby towing with a dolly.

If (b) applies, whether alone, or in conjunction with (a) then the Michelin Cup is likely to be one of few choices which is road legal. Michelin does point out that it is a track tyre which is just about adequate to achieve minimal road legal classification.

There must be other tyre makers who have addressed the same dilemma.

Let's all have a look about and see what's on offer.

Car will be trailered.
Tyres have to be 'road legal' for events such as TOTB and certain street class drag series.

This tyre certainly deserves closer investigation, along with the Yoko suggested by MA.

I have a set of (soft) Toyo R888's & I think their rather good but, I've never used anything else so couldn't make a comparison. :embarrest:

Yeah, these seem to be one of the de-facto tyres of choice for the track day warrior, but just because they are popular doesn't necessarily mean that they are the best for my application :)

However the R888 is my fall-back choice alongside Dunlop's DZ03g.

No mate I was saying that if they can make a greatall round tyre then their sticky track based tyre's would be alot better.