Stretched tyres are they legal

Well I'd take issue with the statement that they look good, but that's subjective.

But you didn't put the most important issue - that it DECREASES grip. This is what it was first intended to do.

As long as you keep on top of the pressures then it will be fine. I run a mild stretch and yet have suffered no differences in performance. Handling and grip is superb (Falken 452s).

The problem here is the construction and usage regs. If you fit a non manufacturer approved rim and tyre combination you're likely to find your insurance null and void should you need to make a claim.

As long as you keep on top of the pressures then it will be fine. I run a mild stretch and yet have suffered no differences in performance. Handling and grip is superb (Falken 452s).

Ah, but I believe that your tyres are fitted to rims within the manufacturer's recommended widths, which makes all the difference.

No offence people but i dont think they look at all good,sort of cheap way of getting wider wheels on without body work.

Put some of these on a track and youd probably have an incident on the first lap:amazed:

No offence people but i dont think they look at all good,sort of cheap way of getting wider wheels on without body work.

Put some of these on a track and youd probably have an incident on the first lap:amazed:

It's not my thing either. Like Car Bras, I really can't see the appeal.

Hey old-git,i was hatched in basildon but escaped years ago!!!!

Sorry to go off topic!!

I was spat out in Crayford, Kent and moved to oranged skinned Essex in 82.

As an aside, my mum was delivered by the local vet as the Doctor was busy. My Nan commended him on his gentle nature and he replied that he has to be as his normal clients bite!

I was spat out in Crayford, Kent and moved to oranged skinned Essex in 82.

As an aside, my mum was delivered by the local vet as the Doctor was busy. My Nan commended him on his gentle nature and he replied that he has to be as his normal clients bite!

Stretched tyres - are they legal?

Stretched tyres look absoluely ridiculous in my estimation
If the fitment is not listed by the manufacturer then leave well and truly alone

It depends whether you are exceeding the maximum RIM width the TYRE and wheel manufacturer recommends for the RIM. AS long you stay in within these ther is no issue.
Fiiting the narrowest tyre onto a rim can reduce the tyre sideways deformation under hard cornering which helps grip. The down side is the reduces contact area reduces dry grip but can increase in the wet due there more force per unit to push the water away. So there is a compromise.
Go too far and the tyre is not able to retain its shape and will deform and pop off the rim under load.

I think stretch tyres look hidious!.. do car bras trap crud etc behind them,thus ruinning paintwork?.They to look hidous in my opinion.

I would agree - a far better look is to use Ultra low profile tyre's and larger wheels. Though you loose grip and reduce ride quality due the reduction in tyres springing rate, deformation.
Car bras are even more hideous - I wouldn't fit one any car I own.

Last edited: