Tyre effect on road noise

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do your tyres have much of an effect on road noise?

A good friend of mine had put some cheap rubber on his wheels and the roar (almost like a bearing whine) was unberable.

I guess all tyres have an effect on road noise but is this something you've noticed?

Yes, some tyres are noisier than others, especially ones with chunky tread patterns, the least noisy ones are the ones with plain circumferential grooves.
I also find that hard tread compounds also tend to produce a whine.

Nothing else is going to have an effect as nothing else is in contac with the road. (Ideally)

Although some of the stupidly lowered Novas I've seen must be different.

Yeah I had a cheap set on the front of mine for a while cause i had to pass the mot and could get no branded tyres, they were noisy and the lack of grip was terrible and the fact that they lasted like 5 minutes, I got Hankook Optimo K415's all round at the moment (185/65/14) and there quite good, would recommend them, they were much quieter and gripper especially in the wet, however they didn't last that long, only 15,000 miles the outside edges always go first, I think it's a common trait on 306's (not so much the sportier models) as they have loads of positive camber to make it understeer

Last edited:
Yeah I had a cheap set on the front of mine for a while cause i had to pass the mot and could get no branded tyres, they were noisy and the lack of grip was terrible and the fact that they lasted like 5 minutes, I got Hankook Optimo K415's all round at the moment (185/65/14) and there quite good, would recommend them, they were much quieter and gripper especially in the wet, however they didn't last that long, only 15,000 miles the outside edges always go first, I think it's a common trait on 306's (not so much the sportier models) as they have loads of positive camber to make it understeer

Peugeot has built in some limit understeer for years with all its models. Most makers to the same, just to ensure stability when approaching the lateral adhesion limit. The PAS disguises this very well.

If you want a budget/midrange tyre then try Viking's Protech II assymetric. I had good results from them. But, in fairness, a Continental Sport Contact 3 or Premium Contact 2 will always be better.

I actually looked at some conti's there supposed to be good, but the ones I got now are apparently premium brand tyre and are cheaper so I may just buy the same but I will look into those when I upgrade though ;),

also I do find the pas on 306's not devoid of feel so I can tell when the grip disappears, was especially handy in the snow but even better in the dry