Have you ever had a tyre blow on you

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
From
Deal, Kent UK
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
You see shredded tyres at the side of the road quite often but I don't think I actually know anyone who has had a blow out in their car.

I have a couple of friends who have had a wheel come off (and neither noticed until they started braking or turning a corner!)

If you did have a blow out what do you think caused it? Heat, sidewall damage, debris on the road, Wear and tear ....?

Lunchmoney

The Torque Meister
From
Poole, UK
Car
'98 JDM Impreza STI
Yep.
On a long trip to a friend's wedding in March last year. Travelling on dual carriage way, left lane, about 70mph and the rear passenger tyre went. I felt a bump and saw the tyre in the rear view rolling away. I stuck the hazard lights on and pulled over to the verge. When I was finally rescued and lifted to a tyre shop (I carry a spare, but I just went for rescue) the man and the garage said the wheel was saved by quick reactions as I still had a bit of rubber around the rim.

As for what caused it? No one could work it out. All four tyres were the same make and age, and the other 3 were fine. No obvious debris on the road. Very odd and I put it down to just one of those things.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
From
Deal, Kent UK
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Wow that was bad. They say it's usually sidewall damage that causes a split. But not the sort of thing you'd really notice unless you did a detailed inspection.