Have you ever had a tyre blow on you

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
You see shredded tyres at the side of the road quite often but I don't think I actually know anyone who has had a blow out in their car.

I have a couple of friends who have had a wheel come off (and neither noticed until they started braking or turning a corner!)

If you did have a blow out what do you think caused it? Heat, sidewall damage, debris on the road, Wear and tear ....?

Yep.
On a long trip to a friend's wedding in March last year. Travelling on dual carriage way, left lane, about 70mph and the rear passenger tyre went. I felt a bump and saw the tyre in the rear view rolling away. I stuck the hazard lights on and pulled over to the verge. When I was finally rescued and lifted to a tyre shop (I carry a spare, but I just went for rescue) the man and the garage said the wheel was saved by quick reactions as I still had a bit of rubber around the rim.

As for what caused it? No one could work it out. All four tyres were the same make and age, and the other 3 were fine. No obvious debris on the road. Very odd and I put it down to just one of those things.
2LtUDW1vqdHbCzllNxWfGoQYmt36HRoj8YURkktAs5SRAgMPyG6Mb8zMWsczwAY5FqvEvg6ZBYVMkpTDfYhU2i6QIJHsEjYgKLexQmdsb-ND6giVBKiojpwtdepgdqEsxmWAXSI6nizwPezF046Llb8DspQhOEwNUPoG5agti2VHEr8WGr8ZRUSlTtVnW1MBXpTmo9nDISbqB8JibUDQ2uTluLde8nAggmhjTOr71JiYKm4ZjP05_hrwY049ds0GE0h2z4YUel--cw_KAARV9eu_FLzt-yIwuFUYGf3PEGftPhjbFZqCDXVwtywmCaMtZIDGVBw4dEfR8kAsTDBRg55RZvR7FaNFeVoemFVgD36Cx098J46HY6zD0ValG0KM2TZMLc_ITHuc0ezbTPcH0zySg4BvaME2kD8oMHruwEHMnE1XDF2pPsdqANO9DnKCMer2NYiJG3nNulzqIji0gt568t4aspsp9umzq1JbH_GG3FEO5yXUpiJAka9oQq2544sVfyYT6E9UXEN1XF3CPLKW9Ff1ocq9Jwv7BFPq89xdAaCp-yfV3yyQQDjkU8UFu-jf5YadoS_ChkkvGoqn5MotI9nyOLszxCx93gd-6BIVHa5VpFM_bA=w1206-h682-no

Wow that was bad. They say it's usually sidewall damage that causes a split. But not the sort of thing you'd really notice unless you did a detailed inspection.