Shift lights - racers or ricers

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you think that shift lights are helpful tools or just a bit of eye candy?

Has anyone got a shift light fitted? Is it helpful? How accurate do you think they are?

I couldn't comment on the usefulness, but real drag cars seem to be fitted with them. As for street cars I've seen plenty of hot rods with them - not just 'ricers'.

...oh and a VW Transporter T25...

...with a Porsche engine in the back.

Road car - eye candy

Race car - If F1 cars have them then they must be useful.

I have a led tacho and shift light. Ideal for track days when all you need is a visual warning of the impending rev limiter when the red mist has decended! :cheesy: I find it incredibly useful and take no notice of it day to day.

I find it very accurate as mine takes its pulses from the ecu.

Shift lights are pointless. They were developed for the American market where automatic transmission is prevalent and any assistance with driving the comparatively rare 'stick shifts' is welcome. Possibly essential.

Now, to all who have lambasted me in the past for my liking of automatic transmission, why are you so fond of such lights?

If the car's ECu can tell you when to shift then why not let it take care of the whole process?

Mechanical, foot operated clutches are crude and outdated. WHy not hand over the whole process of 'engine to road torque delivery' to the car itself?

Nissan's torotrac transmission is an interesting way to provide CVT in powerful cars.

Traditional manual gearboxes will be phased out and replaced with much more sophisticated automatic options. Often with the opportunity to override the selection of ratio (whether mechanical or virtual) if the driver desires. THe clutch pedal will disappear during this phase of development. Good is all I can say. It's reminiscent of a pre 2nd World War Rover 10.

I found out the other day my Focus has a shift light from the factory. It's a red arrow pointing up in the middle of the Rev counter. Don't really use it though.

Shift lights are pointless.

Have you ever raced on track? If not then how can you say that? If you have then you obviously have not been driving fast enough therefore having time to look at your tacho and 'sensing' the time to change gear.

Sorry but I find the feature helpful during certain sectors of a track, Brands especially where you are on the limit all the time and therefore focused on the racing line and have no time for dashboard reading.

OK, yes on the track when you'd only ever shift at peak revs then the light is helpful. Not really necessary on the road though.

I'd still prefer a clutchless manual with paddle shifts though

Isn't that a semi-automatic?

In terms of modern vehicle development you are right, manual gear boxes are a thing of the past, but on the other hand it would be like saying that water colours should be relegated to history because a digital camera does a better job! Manuals are just so much more fun!

OK, yes on the track when you'd only ever shift at peak revs then the light is helpful. Not really necessary on the road though.

I did say in my original post I take no notice of it on a daily basis, it is only for track use, can't see myself revving to 6600 on the daily commute ;)

Not sure I'd want to have a paddle shift, takes the fun away from driving, it would feel more like playstation to me. I much prefer the mechanical input between driver and car.

Road car - eye candy

Race car - If F1 cars have them then they must be useful.
their essential on a f1 car, those engines can blow very easily
but on a ford mondeo or opel corsa their pointless
on a track day, they could be handy, but then you wouldnt bring a 1 litre to these track days would you??

so i agree, rd car, its just show

their essential on a f1 car, those engines can blow very easily
but on a ford mondeo or opel corsa their pointless
on a track day, they could be handy, but then you wouldnt bring a 1 litre to these track days would you??

so i agree, rd car, its just show

I use mine on the road. When i'm showing the chav corsa driver how to drive.
Hows you anyways buddy not seen you around for a while hope your all well mate.

Shift lights are pointless. They were developed for the American market where automatic transmission is prevalent and any assistance with driving the comparatively rare 'stick shifts' is welcome. Possibly essential.

Now, to all who have lambasted me in the past for my liking of automatic transmission, why are you so fond of such lights?
If the car's ECu can tell you when to shift then why not let it take care of the whole process?
Mechanical, foot operated clutches are crude and outdated. WHy not hand over the whole process of 'engine to road torque delivery' to the car itself?
Nissan's torotrac transmission is an interesting way to provide CVT in powerful cars.
Traditional manual gearboxes will be phased out and replaced with much more sophisticated automatic options. Often with the opportunity to override the selection of ratio (whether mechanical or virtual) if the driver desires. THe clutch pedal will disappear during this phase of development. Good is all I can say. It's reminiscent of a pre 2nd World War Rover 10.

Real cars have three pedals.

The third one (clutch) activates the brain into forward thinking and introduces a level of skill and judgement.

Different strokes for different types of folks really.

If you like to sit back in a car, engage D then press your foot down on the ETC that has ASC, TC, ABS and Cruise Control functions all built in ......and do this while being able to have one hand free to feed your face with ice cream or twiddle with a mobile phone..... then as long as you don't run into the back of someone at the traffic lights from lack of concentration, go for it and do your own thing.

But please don't push your opinion of what you think should happen onto others who actually enjoy being involved in driving a car and do not like having blind decisions made for them by a computer-controlled transmission that for example decides to shift up on the approach to a blind corner in wet conditions because it sensed a different ETC parameter, which completely upsets the whole balance of the car and could be considered dangerous by some.

Nah, give me old fashioned technology that works with minimal maintenance and involves the sloppy-link between the steering wheel and the seat any day.

Last edited:
Real cars have three pedals.

The third one (clutch) activates the brain into forward thinking and introduces a level of skill and judgement.

If you like to sit back in a car, engage D then press your foot down on the ETC that has ASC, TC, ABS and Cruise Control functions all built in ......and do this while being able to have one hand free to feed your face with ice cream or twiddle with a mobile phone..... then as long as you don't run into the back of someone at the traffic lights from lack of concentration, go for it and do your own thing.

But please don't push your opinion of what you think should happen onto others who actually enjoy being involved in driving a car and do not like having blind decisions made for them by a computer-controlled transmission that for example decides to shift up on the approach to a blind corner in wet conditions because it sensed a different ETC parameter, which completely upsets the whole balance of the car and could be considered dangerous by some.

Nah, give me old fashioned technology that works with minimal maintenance and involves the sloppy-link between the steering wheel and the seat any day.

I agree with you my friend.

Sid447: "Real cars have three pedals.

Nah, give me old fashioned technology that works with minimal maintenance and involves the sloppy-link between the steering wheel and the seat any day."

Unlike yourself, I am not pushing my opinion upon anyone.

Further, I am not an inattentive driver and nor do I fiddle with ice creams or mobile phones whilst driving.

For reference I am currently driving a standard 3 pedal car at the moment and have no difficulty whatsoever in doing so. I just fail to see what skill is required to drive a modern car with a feather light cushioned and servo assisted clutch with a full synchromesh gearbox.

So please stop making presumptions as to others' general character, ability and conduct whilst overlooking your own.

Sid447: "Real cars have three pedals.

Nah, give me old fashioned technology that works with minimal maintenance and involves the sloppy-link between the steering wheel and the seat any day."

Unlike yourself, I am not pushing my opinion upon anyone.

Further, I am not an inattentive driver and nor do I fiddle with ice creams or mobile phones whilst driving.

For reference I am currently driving a standard 3 pedal car at the moment and have no difficulty whatsoever in doing so. I just fail to see what skill is required to drive a modern car with a feather light cushioned and servo assisted clutch with a full synchromesh gearbox.

So please stop making presumptions as to others' general character, ability and conduct whilst overlooking your own.

Please re-read post where I have highlighted some of the wording which implies the post is made in the third person (by use of terms such as "if you like"...etc.
I fail to see where it is aimed at you being the supposed auto driver.

You might also re-read post #14. Especially the part where it says:-
QUOTE.........."Different strokes for different types of folks really"........UNQUOTE

In point of fact it was you who made a sweeping statement in this thread, in total dis-regard of others and their beliefs which was QUOTE "Shift lights are pointless..." UNQUOTE.

Here's another in the very same post........

QUOTE........."THe clutch pedal will disappear during this phase of development. Good is all I can say. It's reminiscent of a pre 2nd World War Rover 10.." UNQUOTE.

I (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) can clearly interpret that it is you who is playing God here and throwing your opinions around.

You are supposed to be a moderator. That means you must be seen to have moderate views and calm situations that may arise. Not make blind and somewhat controversial statements about what YOU think and believe should be the way things should be done.
So get off your high horse, keep your slanderous replies for someone else. And do something constructive.

Last edited:
If you read my subsequent posts you will see I have agreed that they have a purpose on the track.

Please, in future keep your quotes in context.

I'm curious to know why you think that only real cars have three pedals.

Let's see what others think, shall we?

Back on topic then...

I personally don't see the point in a shift light. I know when to shift gears because I have a rev meter and know where my power band is. I think having a little LED on the dash will just encourage drivers to be looking down so they can be told when to shift gears instead of keeping their eyes on the road. We already have to keep a constant check on our speedometer!

Back on topic then...

I personally don't see the point in a shift light. I know when to shift gears because I have a rev meter and know where my power band is. I think having a little LED on the dash will just encourage drivers to be looking down so they can be told when to shift gears instead of keeping their eyes on the road. We already have to keep a constant check on our speedometer!

Not driven much on track lately then? If positioned correctly you can see the shift light out of the corner of your eye. Therefore not having to look down at your speedo and keeping your eyes on the entry point, apex and exit. That's the whole point of having one. REGARDLESS of engine size, prevtec.

You would only ever really use one on track anyway unless you drive like an idiot on the limit on public roads. So, as said before IN USE on the roads they are very ricer, but on the track they are a useful driving aid.

To add, Automatics are for girls, gays or pensioners. No offence if you're none of the former HDi :cheesy: If everyone can make silly comments like "the clutch pedal will disappear" then so can I.

Let's consider that gearboxes are only there to make up for the inadequacies of the engine. The clutch is only there to allow the gears to be selected and used.

I think over time the traditional manual 3 pedal will become less and les prevalent, perhaps being available as an option to those who wish to order it. Which, of course, is their choice.

I will defend anyone's right to hold an opinion, no matter how vehemently I disagree with it.

After all, hand starters have gone; cold start choke levers have gone; manual igntion advance/retard controls have gone. Traditional heater controls are being replaced with thermostatically controlled systems. Window winders have gone.

However, I'm not going to waste any time commenting upon your closing paragraph.

im good mate and yourself??
all is good, how about your way??

All is good this way buddy.
I sometimes use my shift light on the public roads. But it doesn't mean I break the speed limit. I sometimes use it in first and second gears but it doesn't mean I'm driving like an idiot.

Well, I don't see the point with shift lights on the road. I think they do well on the track where you are pushing your car to the max and need to know when to shift gear at the percisely the right moment so you won't loose power or, worse, your engine. I think they are ok on street cars for track use and sometimes they are used on offroad wehicles in bad conditions but again for street use, I don't think they are needed.

And for the gearbox discussion. I personally like the manual better but am driving around in a automatic these days. It is nice to drive but I think you are more involved with the driving in the manual and therefore I like it more

Hi,if you do any drag racing in a moderately quick car a shift light is needed.You do not have time to look at your rev counter and hitting the limiter costs time.Can't see the point for road use.Cheers.