Seat Leon TDI tuning

L

LeonTDI1981

Hi guys

I have a 1.9 TDI Seat Leon (Mk2)

I know diesels turbos opperate in a different manner to petrol but i wondered if any one has an answers to these questions. I'm new to tuning diesels as i've only ever had petrol cars

Can you fit a dump valve/wastegate to a diesel turbo to get a more distinct turbo whooosh sound?

Can a boost guage be fitted and still provide accurate readings?

If the answer is yes to either, how would i go about fitting and what types would i need to buy?

Cheers for your help in advance!!

Dan

Greetings and Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend! :)

I am unable to help you with your question directly, but hopefully somebody can point you in the right direction for the knowledge that you seek!

Good luck! :)

hey and welcome.

yes you can fit a dump valve to it but it needs to be specific diesel one and your looking at a bit of money for something thats going to do absolutely nothing other than make noise.
waste gate is something entirely different and you have one anyway fitted to the turbo.

gauge can also be fitted. just go for one that only shows positive pressure as theres no vacuum generated. 30psi will do. you will need to tap into somewhere after the turbo such as the intercooler and fit the line to that. slightly more harder than fitting to a petrol but easy enough. you can get a bung to fit into a hose or tap a fitting into the the likes of the intercooler - if you do the later then make sure you do it with the intercooler off the car and that you clean it up so that theres no swarf to enter the engine.
as for how accurate it is will come down to the gauge if its a cheapo dont expect it to be that accurate
as for accuracy

ECU remap is the simple, quick and safest way to get significantly more torque. Nothing else in isolation comes close to the results this will yield.

I had read somewhere that diesels don't actually have a throttle... So there is no need for a dump valve, not sure on newer diesels though....

Boost gauge should be no problem, just need to find the vacuum line that goes from the turbo to the intercooler. HDi is right, the best thing to do would be a modest ECU remap. Your more then likely too see impressive results from that alone.