Rip off pump prices

the trouble is the fuel companies know we're not going to hurt ourselves by not buying fuel, they know they have us by the short and curlies. I was forwarded an email at work the other day suggesting we boycott the two biggest companies ESSO and BP forcing them to lower the prices to bring back customers and also forcing the other companies to do the same, i'm not convinced it would work but i'm willing to give it a try

a 159ltr barrel of crude oil gives roughly 75ltrs of Petrol, 40ltrs of Diesel and 15ltrs of Jet Fuel, plus loads of other stuff like solvents and heating oil

the trouble is the fuel companies know we're not going to hurt ourselves by not buying fuel, they know they have us by the short and curlies. I was forwarded an email at work the other day suggesting we boycott the two biggest companies ESSO and BP forcing them to lower the prices to bring back customers and also forcing the other companies to do the same, i'm not convinced it would work but i'm willing to give it a try

This pops up every time there is a fuel hike. Think about it, what would happen? HUGE queues at the other stations (wasting your fuel) so they run short of fuel. Their prices would go up and where do you think they could get the extra fuel from? Yup, the companies being boycotted! Won't work.

When I started work MANY years ago I earned £18 a week. Petrol was 33p/gal so I could buy (ignoring income taxes etc) just over 54 gallons.

Same job is now is just over £14,000 which equates to £259/wk which is 46 gallons at £5.86/gal. Less, I agree, but not that much when you consider the mpg achieved by cars today. Driving an efficient diesel car will cost you less in real terms than it did back in 1971.

Back then, when it was announced that petrol tax was going up 1p/gallon at 6pm there were long queues outside stations. Now, what happens? A lot of moaning but little else. Why? Maybe because we realise that we are still better off than our parents.

Last edited: