Questions to ask a car seller

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Ok then, what questions do you ask a car seller. Do you have any killer questions that sort out the sheds from the decent cars?

I always say "I'm calling about the car." If they are selling a few cars then it's a giveaway that they are a trader and have to ask "which car"!

I also just try to get them talking about the car. All the main haggling goes on before I even go to see the car.

Will you take £50?

lol I'm like that. My old Primera was up for £495 so I phone the guy and offered him £300. He accepted over the phone so went to look at it and tried again to get him down to £250.:lol:
Drove away with it for £300 in the end as he wouldn't budge any more.

lol I'm like that. My old Primera was up for £495 so I phone the guy and offered him £300. He accepted over the phone so went to look at it and tried again to get him down to £250.:lol:
Drove away with it for £300 in the end as he wouldn't budge any more.

You are totally ruthless TN :lol:

That's a mantra to live by that TN, I Managed to get my Accord for £1900, it was advertised for £2250 but there were a few things that needed attention and a couple of dings in the bodywork, the only other question to ask is "Can I take it for a test drive?" if you get out alone then check the car over fully before going back and beating the price down as much as possible.

Is it yours? Can I see the logbook? got the service booklet? How long has it been for sale? But like Waynne has said I ring them up and ask the same question, I'm calling about the car.........best way to weed out the trade seller masquerading as a private seller. Also if a private seller knows where the bonnet release is inside and outside, they are either switched on and look after their car or telling me the bonnet has been up more times than Jordan's skirt due to things not working!