Car Questions

Titas

Tuner
Car
2000 Toyota Corolla
-Does JDM stand for Japanese Domestic Motor vehicle?
-What does OEM mean?
-Are Nissan Skylines illegal, why?
-How do cars make colored smoke from their tires?
-Where can someone get dual port tubes for an intake system?
-Whats the best car college?

If you know the answer to any of these questions, please tell me. I'll think of some other questions later. Thanks :cool:

Jdm is japanese domestic market, I.e. a car spec released in japan not europe. People import jdm subarus cos the engine has a higher standard outpput than the uk ones.

Oem is original equipment manufacturer, it means parts that are either original fitment or approved by the manufacturer as the same standard as original parts. To maintain warranties on new cars you need to fit oem parts at service.

Er, why would you think skylines are illegal?

Tyre smoke is probably a compound in the rubber.

Merlinmotorsport in the uk do tuning parts for race cars, try them.

Dunno about colleges.

Does JDM stand for Japanese Domestic Motor vehicle?
Japanese Domestic Market. This actually covers anything produced in Japan.

What does OEM mean?
Original Equipment Manufacturer. Anything that was intended to be on the car by it's original producer. Parts from a higher or lesser model can be used as long as it's from the same manufacturer. E.G. Civic Type R wheels on a non-Type R is still OEM.

Are Nissan Skylines illegal, why?
No. Although they are right hand drive which means in America you'll be sat on the wrong side of the car.

How do cars make colored smoke from their tires?
Some people actually put something on the tyre to make it do this.

I have read many article in Modified Magazine that mentioned that Skylines were illegal.

For what reason
confused.gif

What you have forgotten to say is that you live in the USA

Old style skylines dont conform to the new US regs and are therefore extremely difficult to get through the import regs.

If they dont then they are "illegal" as such in the USA.

BUT ONLY THERE

The new GTR is completely legal in the US

In the US as Sleeper says things are different. I remember that a few skylines were registered as disablity cars using a loop hole. This has been closed up and actually rendered cars thus registered illegal and subject to consfication!

I imagine that even different states have varying rules.

Does JDM stand for Japanese Domestic Motor vehicle?
Japanese Domestic Market. This actually covers anything produced in Japan.

What does OEM mean?
Original Equipment Manufacturer. Anything that was intended to be on the car by it's original producer. Parts from a higher or lesser model can be used as long as it's from the same manufacturer. E.G. Civic Type R wheels on a non-Type R is still OEM.

Are Nissan Skylines illegal, why?
No. Although they are right hand drive which means in America you'll be sat on the wrong side of the car.

How do cars make colored smoke from their tires?
Some people actually put something on the tyre to make it do this.

had no clue that people actually do the last one?...hehe...just googled to check it out and realized you can buy tyres that do this!...never seen it...i'd like to...

BF Goodrich make tyres that have a coloured band around them of slightly harder rubber I think, they're called Scorchers and aren't road legal over here but I'm not sure about anywhere else.

Attachments

• bfgoodrich-tires-77029.jpg
    bfgoodrich-tires-77029.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1
The drifting community are probably the biggest buyer of tyres that make coloured smoke.

Ok thanks for the info on the skylines. In the magazines some storys mentioned that the cars were not street legal, but they were full stock. And some other articles said that the cars were used as dayly drivers. I guess some article were based on cars in the US and some in other parts of the world.

I love the fact that the colour lasts for as long as the tyre itself, which if you're doing donuts and burnouts all day, won't be very long.

I love the sport of Drifting. I watch youtube videos and read all sorts of articles about drifting. The colored tires add an extra bonus to the artform of drifting.

Nice...thanks!I like the look of the scorchers...and the kumho comes in red, blue and yellow?...yea...i can imagine why they're not legal everywhere...plus why they'd be a fave among drifters...that reminds me...been meaning to catch the latest Fast and the Furious....anyone seen it yet??

I've seen it and quite enjoyed it - the best of the series so far as car films go. Not enough cars for my liking but some great stunts and really varied cars were used from a GT40, to modern tuned jap cars with some muscle cars thrown in for good measure.